Author Topic: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny  (Read 39485 times)

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Herald seems to be reporting the Jason Bay rumor too

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_07_30_Ramirez_vents_again/srvc=redsox&position=1

For what it’s worth, there are lots of rumors swirling about trade scenarios involving Ramirez, most notably a three-way scenario in which Ramirez would go to the Florida Marlins with Jason Bay coming to Boston from Pittsburgh. Red Sox officials have yet to confirm this, and we stress to you that it is that time of the year.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I think it's time to trade Manny.  I won't be disappointed if we don't but I think his time here is officially over.  They need to get rid of him for a few reasons...

First, day after day he's making a new statement about how he hates it here and that he wants to leave.  If he isn't traded I think that's gonna be very bad for this team later on in the season.  The only way it isn't is if he hits the crap out of the ball and at least helps get us to the World Series.

Second, this team looks dead lately.  They need some kind of deal to reenergize them, need to get some new blood in there.  If Manny is traded and we get a good bat to contine to protect Ortiz, then I think everything will fall into place...hopefully.
The Red Sox management came to this conclusion over the weekend.  General Red Sox Nation has been slow to face this.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Sidebar:  Is there anything worse in sports than a baseball team when things are going bad?

Yup

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Manny is up and just as I was thinking it, Don O said it.  This could be his last Boston at bat (a harmless flyout).

Let's see if they pull him for a defensive replacement.  We wouldn't want our trade bait to get injured crashing into the monster.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:27 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
one thing I have to agree with, there's a ZERO percent chance that the Sox will let him play out this year and then just not pick up his option (thus letting him sign with the Yankees)

they'll trade him, if not tomorrow, then in the winter (or the following winter, who knows?)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Mike Jacobs (Marlins 1B with 22 home runs) was pulled from the game in the seventh inning.

Coincidence?

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
Traded in 3 way to FLA. We get Bay.

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Looks like the deal is in place....

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx?rwr=1

:-\

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Rotoworld posted their story at 9:52 local time.  Manny was still in the game so I doubt that at that time the deal was done.  It sure seems like we are going to hear very soon.

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
From the source...

"Carroll, not normally one of our preferred sources"

Isn't rotoworld not that reliable?

Lets wait a bit and see if anyone else says anything before we get carried away.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
Rotoworld posted their story at 9:52 local time.  Manny was still in the game so I doubt that at that time the deal was done.  It sure seems like we are going to hear very soon.

True, forgot about that. I mean of course this could be false, but I still feel like he's going to be gone.

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
According to that Rotoworld story, we're giving up Manny, cash *and* two prospects?  For Jason Bay and John Grabow?

I don't like it.  I get the desire to deal Manny, but I wouldn't be throwing in prospects, as well.  I'd rather just make the trade with the Marlins and not worry about getting Bay.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Even though Manny has said he wants to be traded, he will still have to sign paperwork for this to get done.  He is flaky enough hold things up (NESN just reported that Manny left the stadium in street cloths so I don't think he is going to be signing any paper work).

They are going to make us wait until tomorrow it seems.

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 10:32:32 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Agreed about tomorrow...

I think it's safe to say that nothing will happen tonight, so we might as well stop refreshing that espn page or the boston herald page to see if a blockbuster has happened.

Everyone just get a good night sleep and see what happens tomorrow

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Manny says the Red Sox don't deserve him?

Well, that should basically seal his fate. Don't expect to see him back in a Red Sox uniform for much longer.

As Red Sox fans, we shouldn't look past the great things he did for this franchise. But with the good comes the bad. Manny wasn't necessarily ever a "deterrent," but man he created a lot more raucous than he should have.

I hope the Manny trade will revive the Red Sox, who are basically 25 living corpses on the active roster.