Author Topic: Mariano Rivera to Start All Star Game?  (Read 2507 times)

Mariano Rivera to Start All Star Game?
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Might be a nice idea

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/11/for_starters_rivera/

I was also thinking it would be cool if they asked Torre to be a bench coach for the NL so he could get his proper due from the Yankees fans.

I'm no fan of the Yanks, but those two guys have to be respected.
Yup

Re: Mariano Rivera to Start All Star Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I understand wanting to start him so that he gets to pitch when it matters in the game.  There may not be a need for a closer.  But to me, I think if you are looking at it that way then you'd want him to get to make his "Sandman" entrance.  John Kruk had a good idea on baseball tonight the other day.  He pointed out that there are always pitchers on the team who are not going to be used because they pitched a game or two befor the All-star game.  He suggested having one of them anounced as the starter and let him warm up and just before he throws the first pitch, you come out and get Rivera so he can make his usual entrance.  This might be a bit much but I think it's a great idea. 

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Get ready for the Yankees lovefest all next week.  I think it's great Francona's the manager and the team has so many Red Sox on it.  That'll stick in the craw of Yankees fans.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Rivera will not start the allstar game.  Rivera is not a starter he is a closer and I can almost guarantee that Tito will not have one of the greatest closers in the game do anything but close out the allstar game. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Papelbon in the 8th

Rivera in the 9th
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.