Author Topic: Bill Walker to have surgery  (Read 13858 times)

Re: Bill Walker to have surgery
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think it is great that the C's are taking a proactive approach to getting this kid healthy.  They don't need him right away, but if he is able to come back 100% healthy, he could be the steal of the draft.

Everyone has been talking about finding replacements for the Big 3 when they start aging...well, Walker has the potential to be that.

I am interested to see what they do for a contract for him now.  They are clearly set on taking it slow with him, so I am guessing they will probably do everything they can to get him on a 3 year deal (using part of the MLE or LLE), so they can get extra time to look at him, and also to gain full bird rights.

The only hiccup would be if Walker opts to do what Big Baby did and refuse to sign for the MLE .... opting instead to be a FA in 2 rather  than 3 years.  With Walker's injury history i would think he'd take as much guaranteed money as possible. The amount we'd pay him using MLE doesn't increase much if at all -- but using the MLE gives us his Bird rights (as you said). He'd be a fool not to want to play with KG, Pierce and Ray for 3 years. (i think Ray will resign with us for less money to retire a Celtic, but that's just me).

The LLE isn't an option, nor should it be since i see us adding someone of Grant Hill's caliber next year with it and you can only use it every other year.

So forget about Posey? If we resign Posey, would we have any MLE left to give a rookie?

The MLE can be split among multiple players.  Assuming we signed Walker to a deal starting around $650,000 or so, we'd still have right around $5 million to offer Posey in the first year of his deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So forget about Posey? If we resign Posey, would we have any MLE left to give a rookie?

No, Posey is going to be Ainge's #1 priority resigning for the offseason.  Danny has already said as much.
Don't worry so much about the way people carelessly talk about spending the Celtic's cash.
There was some guy that wanted to give Powe a multimillions, multiyear contract, based on one good game in the playoffs.   ::)
Obviously Danny is a bit more savvy than that and will find a way to sign the guys he wants.
That is, if Posey really wants to stay in Boston.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
I didn't realize Walker was expected as a lottery pick before June 15th? Anyone know the highest he was projected as before this?
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 07:50:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I didn't realize Walker was expected as a lottery pick before June 15th? Anyone know the highest he was projected as before this?

Ever?  Or for this year's draft?

Coming out of high school, prior to his first knee injury, he was considered to be a top-five prospect.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
I hope he can make the team.
Since Danny made the trade for Walker and ownership paid for the pick, I would think he is almost guaranteed to make the roster.

Re: Bill Walker - a tough time making a championship team.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Bill Walker (Kansas State): Despite a knee injury right at the 'test' deadline, he felt he had a good shot at a first round pick. Instead, he drops all the way down to #47 and ends up with the Celtics. Many felt Walker would be best suited to go back to K-State and have that team to himself and vault his draft value. Instead, he will find a tough time making a championship team.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/27/how-the-testing-the-waters-leapers-fared-in-the-nba-draft/

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

Ever?  Or for this year's draft?

Coming out of high school, prior to his first knee injury, he was considered to be a top-five prospect.

That's not quite correct. He was considered a Top 5 pick before his second injury in January 2007.