Author Topic: Bill Walker to have surgery  (Read 13798 times)

Bill Walker to have surgery
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1103579

Many considered Walker a lottery pick prior to June 15, when the rugged athlete suffered the third knee injury of his young career - this time a torn meniscus. He is expected to undergo surgery soon.

“He’s not 100 percent healthy yet, but he’s big and strong,” said Ainge. “But he can be the player he has been with the right treatment. A couple of years ago, he was mentioned in the same breath with the same kids who are in the lottery now.”

Re: Bill Walker to have surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
great... another tony allen.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »

Offline kriegpat2

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
You have to imagine that the medical care and training he will receive now will be far superior to what he had been receiving in the past.  Give him some time to recover and we may have something.

"I'm the classic great player on a bad team, and it stinks." - Paul Pierce

"Celtics fans, there are some rocky weeks ahead." - Chad Ford 6/22/07

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That's the same injury Gilbert and Jermaine had last season right? I think so.

Not a pleasant one to have but he should recover okay.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well that's a downer considering I was just smiling ear from ear thinking about him, Rondo, and Giddens all running together filling lanes; but I guess this isn't too, too big of a deal. My girlfriend's sister had a torn meniscus and she's probably the biggest whimp, actress, and sympathy seeker I've ever seen and she did just fine with it.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Couldn't he be another Leon Powe as well?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Anyone have any information about when he'll be ready to play?  I'm guessing he's going to spend most of his time in the D league, but all the practice time he can get with the Big 3 is invaluable.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just hope they don't rush him. The problem with Gilbert was that he rushed to play.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's basically a gamble.  If he can remain healthy, he just might end up being good.  Any good service the Celtics get out of him is a bonus, I would think.  I don't believe they were looking for anyone who can make a contribution for next year in this draft position.  If Walker ends up not being able to play it won't make an impact on the team.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
It's just a torn meniscus.  He'll get scoped and they'll clean it up.  Not a big deal, although it's painful until repaired.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
If he didn't have the injury, he wouldn't have been there at 47 - probably not at 30 either.

A torn meniscus is usually no big deal (from the perspective of someone who's had knee surgery to repair his torn meniscus). A week or two on crutches and four weeks of PT and I haven't had a problem since.

Now, I'm not putting it under the same stress as a pro ball player, but by itself, the surgery shouldn't hinder his career.

I personally love the pick. Either it pans out and he's a great asset (whether as a player or as a trade chip to extend the current Celtic dynasty) or it doesn't and all we've lost is some money and a roster spot.

All of these lottery picks of freshman coming out of college are just that - lottery tickets - you're never sure whether there going to pan out or not. Danny found the same kind of ticket in the middle of the second round.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:20 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Anyone have any information about when he'll be ready to play?  I'm guessing he's going to spend most of his time in the D league, but all the practice time he can get with the Big 3 is invaluable.

I see him spending some time in D-League, but I think he'll be on the roster full-time by Christmas. Guy's too good, and he has too much to learn from PP.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think it is great that the C's are taking a proactive approach to getting this kid healthy.  They don't need him right away, but if he is able to come back 100% healthy, he could be the steal of the draft.

Everyone has been talking about finding replacements for the Big 3 when they start aging...well, Walker has the potential to be that.

I am interested to see what they do for a contract for him now.  They are clearly set on taking it slow with him, so I am guessing they will probably do everything they can to get him on a 3 year deal (using part of the MLE or LLE), so they can get extra time to look at him, and also to gain full bird rights.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 12:32:19 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Anyone have any information about when he'll be ready to play?  I'm guessing he's going to spend most of his time in the D league, but all the practice time he can get with the Big 3 is invaluable.

"It's not serious," Walker said in a telephone interview. "I will have a simple operation and be back in three weeks. I will be in Boston rehabbing."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/06/27/taking_a_shot_with_jr/?page=2
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Couldn't he be another Leon Powe as well?

Leon Powe is an excellent comparison.  The only difference is before his injuries, Powe was looked at as a late lottery pick prospect.  Before Walker's injuries, he was looked at as a top 5 pick.