Author Topic: Scalabrine trade possibility (would help sign Posey)?  (Read 6373 times)

Scalabrine trade possibility (would help sign Posey)?
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I think Scal is still owed 15 million by us. How much would that be luxury tax wise? If we offered Scal, and our pick AND three million dollars to a team for nothing, would any team bite? That could be the difference of Posey or no Posey. I'm definitely against selling the pick for a million (like NO did). That's just stupid. But this Scal trade scenario could save us a lot. Why would another team do it? Well, they get a draft pick for free and a forward (Scal) subsidized some who would eventually be an expiring contract in 2 years. Assume of course that this team is under the cap.

Re: Scalabrine trade possibility (would help sign Posey)?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Scal's entire contract was 5 years, $15 mil. We owe him a little less than $7 mil over the next two seasons. Now, you are right about the luxury tax thing though. If we are unloading the 30th pick, that would be a wise move. Wouldn't give us more money to sign Posey, but it would cut down our luxury tax requirement.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:50:44 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Scal's entire contract was 5 years, $15 mil. We owe him a little less than $7 mil over the next two seasons. Now, you are right about the luxury tax thing though. If we are unloading the 30th pick, that would be a wise move. Wouldn't give us more money to sign Posey, but it would cut down our luxury tax requirement.

Yeah you're right. I don't know why I wrote 15. We only owe 7 then? Well then that makes things even better. The team getting him (subsidized) would only owe him 4 million and if they move him before his last year, they are basically holding him for no cost. I'm thinking 7 mil saving for us (plus the draft pick money) would end up luxury wise be a savings of over 10 million, which we could use to sign Posey. The question isn't whether we have the ability to sign Posey, it's how much of a luxury tax hit we're willing to take to get it done. This trade would lesson the hit.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Who's going to trade us anything for him?! Everyone on here has labeled him as the absolute worst player in the NBA, so why would they take on his contract for any reason?! He is the perfect end of this teams bench. A serviceable big man who can come in if needed like he did when KG went down. If it doesn't turn into anything of value, why just unload him?!?!?!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We could probably trade Scal and pick number 30 to the Knicks for a folding chair. Thats probably the best deal we could get for Scal these days.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I think I remember reading when he signed that contract that the 5th year was a team option and so if I'm right that'd essentially make him an expiring contract...

If anyone could confirm that with past articles that'd be spectacular. (Hoopshype is at times pretty unreliable with their contract's page.)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:15:29 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think I remember reading when he signed that contract that the 5th year was a team option and so if I'm right that'd essentially make him an expiring contract...

If anyone could confirm that with past articles that'd be spectacular. (Hoopshype is at times pretty unreliable with their contract's page.)

Scal is under contract for the next two seasons with no options.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:52:49 PM »

Offline MrBlonde

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Scal gets 3.2 this year and 3.4 next year.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
We could probably trade Scal and pick number 30 to the Knicks for a folding chair. Thats probably the best deal we could get for Scal these days.

And then we can use that folding chair to D-up Yi when we play the Nets!

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I also remembering reading that Scal's fifth year is at the club's option.    Hoopshype's salary page is usually accurate, but if anyone else has info about his fifth year, please post it. 

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

And then we can use that folding chair to D-up Yi when we play the Nets!

Touche   ;D

TP

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

Offline yamanin

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm thinking 7 mil saving for us (plus the draft pick money) would end up luxury wise be a savings of over 10 million, which we could use to sign Posey. The question isn't whether we have the ability to sign Posey, it's how much of a luxury tax hit we're willing to take to get it done. This trade would lesson the hit.

Saving luxury tax money has no effect on our ability to re-sign Posey, beyond the question of how much of a hit Wyc is willing to take on the luxury tax. Even if we were able to dump Scalabrine's salary, we'd still be well over the salary cap and thus only able to offer Posey the mid-level exception. Fortunately, just about every other contending team is in the same position, and since Posey is well-known to be an excellent role player on a contending team, he's unlikely to sign with a team that's under the cap, so he's unlikely to get more than the mid-level exception. Which means the Celts will probably be able to get him back.

As for Scal, the best use for him is probably to wait a year and then move his expiring contract in a deal for something useful. We could take back a player making a similar amount as Perkins, so that might net us a decent role player from a team looking to cut salary. Or if we package him and Ray Allen we'd be able to take back over $27 m. in salaries, which is enough to acquire any player in the league (whether we'd have enough sweetener to make it worth some team's while is another question). Or we could package him with Perkins and a future pick or three, allowing us to take back over $9.5 million, which might enable us to grab a young star who's on the verge of free agency and isn't going to re-sign with his current team (no, probably not LeBron). Keep in mind that next year KG's salary drops by nearly $8 million, so they'll have some relief from the luxury tax if they want to add some salary. So next off-season is the one where there might be a chance for Danny to make a splash on the trade market, but there's not a lot he can do this season.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:10:16 PM by yamanin »

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think we should take it

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Guys, I actually like Scal but realistically, who would want them on their team?

Unless we getting the short end of the talent stick AND are taking on more debt (the latter of which we won't given being over the cap), I really can't see Scal going anywhere.

Nor do I want to - for the remote shot that they put him in a GINO shirt and have him do the dance on the jumbotron.
God bless and good night!