Author Topic: 2nd round draft pic?  (Read 24971 times)

2nd round draft pic?
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:14:31 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Who do you think the Celts should take with their second round draft pick?  I am personally a huge Bryce Taylor fan and think he would add a lot to our team especially if Tony Allen doesn't come back. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: 2nd round draft pic?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I doubt we find a lot at #60 that can help us.  I don't have a clue on this question.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Roy- If you get a chance, look into Bryce Taylor, i am just hoping he falls to us because a lot of mock drafts have him going in the 55 range. I went to high school at Harvard West Lake in LA with him so i am a bit biased. But hes a great pure shooter, son of Brian Taylor from the jazz, and has great awareness and athleticism. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
To me, if he were lucky enough to slip this far, New Mexico guard JR Giddens is a no-brainer:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jrgiddens.html

He has lottery pick talent, but character issues that have shown up in the past but were dormant last year.  Perhaps he's matured.  He's a do-it-all swing player.  Awesome talent.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
According to RealGM, it's suppose to be Sasha Kuhn..

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Ryan Gomes and Leon Powe both came in the 50's so you never know what kind of steal could occur here.

The NBA Draft is one of the greatest gifts to fans of the league. People nation wide sitting in top secret rooms playing mental chess with one another. It's awesome. I used to dream about it weeks in advance out of anticipation.

This year however I almost forgot it existed. Just another great thing to look forward to after the greatest day of my life on 6/17/08!

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I hope its not Sasha, hes got the size, but he was a bench player for Kansas, and not anybody that really impressed me.  I suppose you cant ask for too much coming from the 60th spot though. 

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
To me, if he were lucky enough to slip this far, New Mexico guard JR Giddens is a no-brainer:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jrgiddens.html

He has lottery pick talent, but character issues that have shown up in the past but were dormant last year.  Perhaps he's matured.  He's a do-it-all swing player.  Awesome talent.

More on Giddens ...

Most people forget he was a McDonald's All-American and originally started at Kansas.  What scouts remember is his attitude at Kansas but he has turned that all around after leading New Mexico into the NCAA tourney and gaining the support of his once bitter teammates.  Giddens has the skills of a lottery pick and seems most likely to become the next All-Star out of the second round.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/JeffGoldblumwithDownSynd/NBA/27802

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Roy- If you get a chance, look into Bryce Taylor, i am just hoping he falls to us because a lot of mock drafts have him going in the 55 range. I went to high school at Harvard West Lake in LA with him so i am a bit biased. But hes a great pure shooter, son of Brian Taylor from the jazz, and has great awareness and athleticism. 

I haven't had much time to look into him.  On a preliminary look at just the stats, I guess the negative assist-to-turnover ratio for a guard concerns me.  Also, draft express was questioning his aggressiveness.

One thing I've learned is to trust in Danny Ainge.  I didn't like the Delonte, Rondo, or BBD picks much at all when they happened.  Shows what I know.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
In the pac 10 championship game his junior year Oregon upset USC and Taylor shot 11-11 from the floor 7-7 from 3, that was really his breakout game. 

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
If either Giddens or Neitzel fall to us I would be happy.

I hope it isn't Kuhn. The guy is a total stiff.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
If either Giddens or Neitzel fall to us I would be happy.

I have never been a Neitzel fan.  He can shoot the ball but he doesn't have the size or quickness to get that shot off with any regularity in the NBA.  He also plays in the Big ten which really is not that deep of a conference so i have always been suspect of the competition.     

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I dont think we'll get anyone of value that late in the draft. I know DA has always found guys no matter where we are drafting. I'm sure he has his homework done but I dont know if they would even make a roster this talented.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Eight days ago I wrote this:

I had the chance of watching some tape of Plaisted and he doesn't look like NBA material - no energy, no hustle, very tentative in the offense... the center of the opponent team was a 6-6 or something and he was dominating the paint. I saw a very impressive player in that BYU team, a winger named Cummard (he's the guy behind Plaisted in his DX profile photo).

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=19458.msg304231#msg304231

A few days later DraftExpress published their extensive statistical evaluation of SFs and that same guy - Lee Cummard - was dominant in almost every category:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-The-Numbers--Evaluating-This-Year-s-Small-Foward-Crop-2928/

In their own words: "Lee Cummard of BYU displayed an excellent feel for the game all season, and immediately jumps out in this analysis as someone who needs to be followed closely next season in the NCAA"; "Lee Cummard, the only small forward in the class with a positive rating, continues to statistically dominate his position"; etc etc.

Unfortunately, he didn't stay in the draft - he even had troubles finding teams willing to give him workouts -, otherwise I believe he'd be an excellent pick. Just a plain good, smart and solid player. I can't understand how players like him fly over the radar for so long.

Other than that, I have no idea. Probably we'll pick some lousy foreigner who is automatically eligible to store overseas in order to save a salary... Ponkrashov, Dragic, etc...

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
Just say NO to BYU players.  I know that's Ainge's alma-mater, but come on ... BYU players are all stiffs.  We don't want another Michael Smith on our hands do we?