Author Topic: Forget the others, Celtics-Lakers is the greatest sports rivalry (in the world)  (Read 1378 times)

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Sure, for New Englanders and New Yorkers, very little tops the Sox vs Yanks history, however, do realize, to the rest of the nation (and much of the world), all northeast residents are "Yankees".

What the Lakers/Celtics have, however, is a true national (and even international) mythological-like rivalry, unmatched with any other sport. I'd witnessed this 'taking camps' scenario, not only in coastal corridors like DC-to-Boston and SD-to-SF but also in Chicago, Houston, St Louis, and abroad (Brazil, Singapore, etc). It's a clash of civilizations, the workers of the world vs the Hollywood elites. And in a way, it's also self-contradictory since many want to be a star (and have it on the Boulevard, someday).

This is a gathering, like no other in sports history, except for perhaps Brazil/Argentina vs some western European upstart (again, this changes a bit between the UK [Manchester], Germany, and others) in some World Cup soccer matchup.

Yes, it's the most significant rivalry for an international sport!

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
FYI, when I'd worked abroad, a number of people were astonished that I'd only lived a few miles from Larry Bird. And many conversations were about him and Magic and Kareem. Realize, MJ's legacy was a singularity, a one man wrecking crew, not a historic rivalry.