Author Topic: Why Didn't The Pistons Play that Pressure D in Game 6?  (Read 2494 times)

Why Didn't The Pistons Play that Pressure D in Game 6?
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
The Pistons made amazing comebacks in games 3 and 5 that sell just short. Even though they were never down double digits in the second half like in games 3 and 5, it boggles my mind that saunders never went to that trapping, pressure defense in game 6. some people speculated he may do it for a majority of game 6, but he did not do it at all, even though the C's struggled against that trap for significant portions of games 3 and 5?

thoughts? theories? is flip just a bad coach?
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

Re: Why Didn't The Pistons Play that Pressure D in Game 6?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »

Offline Green4ever

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
for the trap they need to put in players like stuckey and hunter. Since chauncey was having a good game i dont think flip wasnted to take him out. He probably wanted to keep his smartest players because of how important the game was. the starter kind of tried to trap, but they were not really good at it and the celtics didn't really have wild passes.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, you can't sustain that kind of ball pressure for most of the game, it takes away to much energy from your players, so that speculation was quite off.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, they tried to do it in the 4th a couple of times and were unsuccessful, mainly because the Celtics were much more aggressive and protected the ball better. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I saw their attempt, and since they failed their attempt might've gone unnoticed. I'm playing it from memory, so I might be mistaken but again I think I saw them attempt some traps on us during the 4th and were simply unsuccessful.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Well, you can't sustain that kind of ball pressure for most of the game, it takes away to much energy from your players, so that speculation was quite off.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, they tried to do it in the 4th a couple of times and were unsuccessful, mainly because the Celtics were much more aggressive and protected the ball better. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I saw their attempt, and since they failed their attempt might've gone unnoticed. I'm playing it from memory, so I might be mistaken but again I think I saw them attempt some traps on us during the 4th and were simply unsuccessful.

You are spot on on both counts.  It was misguided speculation that they would use it in a non-desperation situation, same as any other team.  No team wants to go small (yes, even Doc doesn't want to despite what people think, but it is your best chance when playing from behind) and use up all that energy trapping like that, it is a forced measure dictated by the score, and what you are giving up is not so significant when you are way behind since it is either try it, or lose. 

It was unrealistic to think Detroit would employ that as a strategy from the beginning because it helped them catch up from a big lead in the previous game.  And the C's did do a better job attacking the initial trap and then reversing it quickly when Detroit attempted to jump the screens.  Pierce particularly was strong with the ball and forced a couple of fouls from the Pistons' aggressiveness, another area that is different in a tight game vs one where there is a double-digit lead, the infamous NBA refereeing.  When the lead is large, the refs seem unusually generous in allowing contact on aggressive traps, but are far less tolerant when the game is closer.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

thanks, BC. i did nto expect the pistons to do it for 48 minutes, but thought i would see more. maybe i did not recognize the D because it was not suffocation the c's like in games 3 and 5.

good points, guys!
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Pus, it really only works against Eddie House. 

As bad as Cassell has been as of late, I've never seen so much made about one little steal (the Hunter one).  That could've happened to anyone. 

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Pus, it really only works against Eddie House. 

As bad as Cassell has been as of late, I've never seen so much made about one little steal (the Hunter one).  That could've happened to anyone. 

It works on everyone if they're not doing what they're supposed to, kinda like Rondo did in the 4th in a couple of games. He stopped attacking and let himself get trapped without doing much to prevent it.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Pistons seemed completely gassed by the end of the game.  Most of those threes they were taking were barely hitting rim.  I don't know if they were just tired or resigned to losing at that point.  Guess some of both.
Yup