Author Topic: Much respect for certain Pistons  (Read 6342 times)

Much respect for certain Pistons
« on: May 31, 2008, 02:13:37 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Now that the series is over we can look back and appreciate SOME of the Pistons' efforts.

Chauncey is at the top of that list for me.  Great player, gutted through a real injury, unlike the shenanigans of Rip.  Hit big shots, didn't run his mouth, well done Chaunce.

Stuckey is going to be a legit scorer for a long, long time.  He was tough to guard, and hit a lot of big, timely shots.

Maxiell is gonna be a very solid frontcourt player in this league.  I respect anyone who can stand up to KG like Maxiell seemed to do all series and season long.

McDyess is nearing the end of his time, but he was pesky those first four games.  Quiet, hard working, good teammate.

That's about all I got.  Rip's a flopping phony.  Rasheed's a goon.  Paul owned the "lock down" defender in Tayshaun.  The arena is a joke, Rasheed was right at least in Detroit it's entertainment and not pure basketball.  Mason is the most annoying person in the NBA that isn't a referee.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Much respect for certain Pistons
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:16:03 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i respect stuckey and maxiell....everyone else can kiss my celtic butt!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 02:20:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I give it up for Detroit as a team - their older guys were a little too old and their younger guys were a little too young for them to really be a great team this year, but they battled like crazy regardless.  Their defense and offense were both incredibly efficient in stretches, but they simply couldn't keep it up long enough to beat us.

Not to be cocky in hindsight, but since the first regular season game I've sincerely felt like we were the better team, and not by a whisker, either.  Us losing depended on us making stupid mistakes, being passive, or going cold from the floor, whereas they needed to play excellent overall to beat us.  Props to the Pistons overall, but I'm glad to see them go...

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 02:22:47 AM »

Offline PrimusSucks

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 88
I do have respect for many of the pistons players, namely Maxiell, Stuckey, and McDyess.

I have no respect for the fickle fans of Detroit. This team has been on top of the east for years now. During game 3 the pistons "Fans" booed them, then cheered them within a quarter of play. This was a team that was in a 1-1 series, coming home to play to a home crowd. Even the announcers were unimpressed.

Tonight the fans were leaving with several minutes left, with a lead under 7. Pathetic. Although, what can you expect from the fans who instigated the worst brawl in recent sports' history.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:36:35 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Dice and Stuckey are the two who really jumped out at me over the course of this series.

Billups put out a hell of an effort -- particularly for a guy who may still be hurt -- tonight, and I'm just glad it came in a losing cause.

As someone who has at least enjoyed watching Rip for a long time, I grew tired of his off-the-ball antics (the holding, flopping and whatnot on both ends of the court) rather quickly.

Maxiell continues to be one of the best lunch-pail guys in the league.  If he can hit some of those baby and mid-range jumpers consistently, opponents could be in big trouble with him.

Glad this team is in our rearview now.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I like McDyess ... he's the only Piston with any class. Sorry, but I really dislike this team intently, and feel no compulsion to praise them. I guess that makes me a "poor-sport" of sorts, but you can bet they've no love lost for us. I'm extremely happy to not have to look at their smug, arrogant faces any longer this year ... truly happy.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:48:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I like McDyess ... he's the only Piston with any class. Sorry, but I really dislike this team intently, and feel no compulsion to praise them. I guess that makes me a "poor-sport" of sorts, but you can bet they've no love lost for us. I'm extremely happy to not have to look at their smug, arrogant faces any longer this year ... truly happy.

Well, you know, Game 4 was like their Super Bowl for them...it was just another game for us, we're trying to win series and championships.  So Game 4 probably meant a lot more to them than it did to us  ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:52:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I have a lot of respect for nearly every Piston.

Rip Hamilton is my favourite, I love watching him play. Who knows maybe some day we can find a way to get him a Celtics uniform, I'd love that. He's the standout for me.

Prince is the only Piston that annoys me. Oh Jarvis Hayes too. But dislike would be too strong a word. More neutral than anything.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 03:12:31 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I have a lot of respect for nearly every Piston.

Rip Hamilton is my favourite, I love watching him play. Who knows maybe some day we can find a way to get him a Celtics uniform, I'd love that. He's the standout for me.

Prince is the only Piston that annoys me. Oh Jarvis Hayes too. But dislike would be too strong a word. More neutral than anything.

Interesting choice.  He may lead the league in flopping fines next year.  The so called elbow injury which he acted like he may never play again when he sustained it, whining and moaning as if he sustained a wound on the battle field (remember, we heard he could not even tie his shoes after the game, oh no)really slowed him up in Game 6.  I am sorry, but it could not be anything too serious if his jumpshot was that unaffected, that would be the first thing to suffer if something was really wrong. 

Expect to see a heavily padded elbow now for the rest of his career, along with that mask, badges of honors he wears, even though the injury is long since past.  What kind of weakness of will is it to need a mental crutch like a facemask because he thought he played well with it on when he needed to wear it??  He can score with the best of them for sure, would never want him on the C's though, not with all that flopping when he is breathed on and grabbing and holding he does defending that if it were done to him, he would be crying as if he hurt his elbow with a career threatening injury.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:12:31 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I'll give it to Chauncey, though his flailing kick move he does when he shoots is cheap (poor Eddie House might not be able to have another kid).

Rip Hamilton has become my new most hated athlete in the four major sports...replacing Manu Ginobili and topping the likes of Eli Manning, Sean Avery, and Eric Gagne.

Rasheed has never committed a foul in his life, much like Tim Duncan. I've had enough of this whining type of player. Players should use Ray Allen as an example of how to act when you're called for a foul you did not commit.

Tayshaun Prince has always annoyed me and I always thought he was overrated.

Maxiell and Stuckey get credit for being stoned the entire series and still playing better than most of the Pistons established veterans.

I have to mention Rip one more time for his incessant whining, tugging, pulling, hanging, flopping, falling, and crying. It really was a sight to behold.

I love the replay of when he 'injured' his elbow (which, by the way, didn't seem to phase him when his teammates yanked him up by the arm after he kneed Cassell in the groin and went flailing down for the count) - The replay basically depicts Hamilton attempting to get a piggy-back ride from Ray. None of the national announcers or analysts seemed to mention this once in the 150 times it was played.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 05:13:06 AM by Mean Gerald Green »

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 04:11:28 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

I have to mention Rip one more time for his incessant whining, tugging, pulling, hanging, flopping, falling, and crying. It really was a sight to behold.

I love the replay of when he 'injured' his elbow (which, by the way, didn't seem to phase him when his teammates yanked him up by the arm after he kneed Cassell in the groin and went flailing down for the count) - The replay basically depicts Hamilton attempting to get a piggy-back ride from Ray. None of the national announcers or analysts seemed to mention this once in the 150 times it was played.

ESPN had a slow-mo breakdown of the play before last nights game.  They even highlighted the 3 separate times that Hamilton grabbed Allen's face and neck.

Apparently the Piston's missed that breakdown.  I saw this gem in today's Celitcs Notebook:

The Pistons had complained about the clutching and grabbing when Hamilton (strained right elbow) was injured battling with Allen in the closing seconds of Game 5. "Well, everybody saw the play," Allen said. "It's not something I [did] to him. I wasn't upset or disappointed, but that's how it goes. The ball's going up, the game is tight, and you've got to do whatever you got to do. Unfortunately, it came out not so great for him."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/05/31/saunders_runs_out_of_answers/?page=2
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:20:03 PM by DannyZ »

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Doesn't Rip remind you of dumb donald from fat albert? T
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Stuckey was impressive and clutch.  Maxiell showed promise, but you never know how that will translate when he plays bigger minutes.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

Offline LakerLanny

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Detroit would be like a 7 seed maybe if they played in the West.

They wouldn't even be sniffing the conference finals if they didn't get to beat up on the Orlando's and Philadelphia's of the world every season.

Try going through Denver, Utah, San Antonio just to get to the finals.  Utah or San Antonio would wax Detroit in a 7 game series, sorry no respect for D-Town from me.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Detroit would be like a 7 seed maybe if they played in the West.

They wouldn't even be sniffing the conference finals if they didn't get to beat up on the Orlando's and Philadelphia's of the world every season.

Try going through Denver, Utah, San Antonio just to get to the finals.  Utah or San Antonio would wax Detroit in a 7 game series, sorry no respect for D-Town from me.

Hmmm...Denver was playing some mighty tight D  ::), Utah can't win on the road, and the Spurs are old.  Pretty objective, huh?
Yup