Author Topic: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers  (Read 16340 times)

New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm not even gonna comment, it speaks for itself.  Have at it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080530

Re: New Simmons article: No one is beating the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I move that we immediately revoke Simmons self-appointed title of "Boston Superfan #1" immediately.

Second?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I move that we immediately revoke Simmons self-appointed title of "Boston Superfan #1" immediately.

Second?

Seconded. I'm so tired of Simmons and his negativity. He's either the biggest homer ever or he's the biggest traitor ever. There is really no in-between with him. The worst part is, if we were to win the title, he'd play the "reverse jinx" card. What a jerk.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »

Offline Jughead

• Broadcast Manager
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
I can't stand Bill Simmons anymore - sell out...

Remember when he spoke from his heart and not with his wallet?

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I agree with his article.  I've been saying this since the Gasol trade.  That team is nasty.  I thought that they may have some problems with Bynum out but it hasn't seemed to slow them down at all.  I actually have a bet with a friend where I have the Lakers winning their 17th banner before the C's do.  They are built extreamly well, they have Kobe and they are , for the most part, all young.  This has dynasty written all over it.  

Now I hope that If the C's get there they can beat them.  And I really like some of the match ups for the C's.  But in seven games pitting Doc against Phil.  Well, it don't look good.  

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline billc15

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Just more Doc and Garnett bashing from this left coast laker cheerleader loser.
Simmons is the biggest idiot in the media. Lakers have no one to match up with Perk.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »

Offline Womialas

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
You know he's been in SoCal too long when he starts writing things like this.  I thought his Clippers obsession was cute, but this is ridiculous.  I think if these playoffs have taught us anything it is that anything can happen in a seven game series.  Maybe we just need to fly in some Laker Girls to distract Kobe.

And you're dead on about the reverse jinx angle... I just hope that's the way it turns out.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
anyone think the quality of simmons's articles have declined in these playoffs? (or since the celtics have been relevant again for that matter.

that's not a dig at the sports guy, because in my opinion he's the best sports writer out there and i love how he writes.

as for this article, i'm thinking that he's jinxing the lakers.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I love how Simmons now labels his KG column as a "reverse jinx". 

Loser.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

Offline tuka

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Normally I defend Simmons but that was a disgusting article.  I'm shocked to hear that from him.  He's abandoned the Celtics, seemingly because of the Pats losing the Super Bowl.  It's really sad. 

He sure as hell doesn't speak for me at the Garden.  I always have confidence in the Celtics.  That's what being a diehard is all about.  He's lost it.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »

Offline T1ME

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
This is what, the third negative Celtics piece hes written in the past 2 weeks?

The funny thing is he will still celebrate if the Celtics win in the Finals, even though he doesn't deserve to.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 04:22:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Hate to say it everyone, but Simmons is dead on. The Lakers are carrying themselves like champions and they are ripping teams' hearts out. Kobe is cold blooded.

The Celtics are up and down. That being said, i also think Simmons is trying to bring about the strongest of reverse-jinxes.

Before the playoffs started, I thought the Celtics could take the Lakers. Now I'm not sure. They have too many bigs that can draw KG and Perk out of the paint. When Bynum was getting big minutes, the C's could shut down the paint by clogging and trapping any penetration. Nuts! I'm getting sucked into all this Laker talk!!! We gotta get through Detroit first!!! C'mon Celtics!!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It's easy for a team to look like invincible basketball gods when:

1. You play a Denver team in complete disarray that plays zero defense

2. A utah team who's interior defense looks like swiss cheese ( Booxer and Gasol? Please) and who has not one player with a sack on the entire roster

3. An obvioulsy tired and aging San Antonio team with one of it's key guys ( Ginobli) obviously hampered.

Three things to remember Bill:

* The Laker's bench of Vujacic, Farmar, Walton, Radmanovic and Turiaf basically disappear when an actual defender steps on the court

**I'm sorry to inform you that Gasol, Odom and Turiaf are not going to be able to hang and bang with Garnett, Perkins, PJ brown, Big Baby and Powe

***If Lebron can be hassled and jammed...so can Kobe.

Celts in six. If we can get past Detroit.    

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
While I'll agree with the idea that Kobe has championship experience, I really think that people are underestimating the impact of defense in the playoffs.  While the Lakers aren't matadors, they're not nearly on the same level as the Celtics.  I think that's going to be a factor that no one anticipates.  Gasol and Odom are subpar defenders and Fisher is way too slow to keep up with Rondo. 

While the Lakers should do their fair share of scoring, the C's should also be able to score at will on them. 

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
What a trash article. I've been a big Simmons fan over the years, but that was ridiculous. First, don't look past the Pistons yet if you're going to play any sort of a jinx card. Second, look at the match-ups and realize Boston is not in bad shape (and if the refs aren't whistle happy, we could punish that team). Third, Doc has made mistakes, but we are winning games and gaining experience. Simmons probably bet on the Rams in '01. Last, don't include yourself as a Boston fan then sell us out for trying to urge the team on too much? or being nervous during a big game? A real fan never sells out their team or bets/writes against them. I'm cutting him loose from people I read on the internet.

I don't like the Lakers, but I do respect them (guess I'm too young). With that said here's a real article about our potential comp: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_ballard/05/27/kobe0602/index.html
"Suit up every day."