Author Topic: The problem with Chicago: feet dragging  (Read 3278 times)

The problem with Chicago: feet dragging
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Chicago Bulls do not know how to pull the trigger.  They lost out on KG, Gasol and probably Kobe because they did not pull the trigger.

Now they lost the coach they wanted because they wouldn't pull the trigger on making an offer.  He went to the team that showed they wanted him by making an offer.

Bulls, time to whine. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3393484

Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf told the Chicago Tribune that the former Suns coach "misled" him in his talks with Chicago, saying he didn't want to coach the Knicks.

Mike D'Antoni

D'Antoni

"I'm disappointed in him," Reinsdorf told the Tribune. "I don't know what else we could've done. He chose to go to New York knowing there was a good chance we would make him an offer. If he had really wanted to be in Chicago, he would've waited. Instead, he misled us. It's not the end of the world, but it is somewhat rude."

D'Antoni agreed to take the Knicks job Saturday and was formally introduced as New York's new coach on Monday.

D'Antoni met with Reinsdorf for over two hours on Friday.

"The second subject, I said if we need to get something done this weekend we shouldn't even bother talking because it will take longer than that," Reinsdorf told the Tribune.

"He said nothing had to be done over the weekend. I also said if this proceeds to where we want to make an offer, we don't deal with coach's agents. He said that's not a problem and that money wasn't the most important thing anyway. He said he wanted a job where he was going to be happiest. He said he didn't want to coach the Knicks."

A whole lot of whining.  The Knicks stepped up and showed him they wanted him.  They made the Knicks job desirable to him.

The Bulls, we need time.  We might offer you a contract.

Who would you go with?

Re: The problem with Chicago: feet dragging
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, and what's up with that "we don't negotiate with agents" crap?  If I was interviewing for that job, I'd think my employer was trying to low ball me.

Looking at that Chicago franchise in recent years, I can see why it wasn't all that appealing.  Of course, the Knicks aren't any better, but at least D'Antoni got paid.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Knicks is a better job then we think.  They have a guy in charge that can rebuild. 

The pressure will not be on the coach to win right away, but to develop for the future.  (at least not from the organization) 

Chicago on the other hand, the pressure is to turn the guys there into a title contender next season.   

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Knicks is a better job then we think.  They have a guy in charge that can rebuild. 

The pressure will not be on the coach to win right away, but to develop for the future.  (at least not from the organization)   

Are you sure, though?  Is Dolan going to be happy to sit back and rebuild, or is he always going to be chasing the superstar?  I know Walsh is in charge, but I've got a feeling that Dolan is a meddler.

Anyway, back to Chicago, that team is a good example of what can happen if you don't cash in your "chips".  Anybody want to do Tyson Chandler (since converted into Larry Hughes) + Deng for KG now?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:00:13 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
The odious James "Thanksdad" Dolan is a meddler.  I don't have the link, but about a week ago some insider on Hoopshype said, of Walsh, "He knows that Dolan is another Donald Sterling."  Case closed.  Maybe Ted Stepien would be a better analogy.  The same thing can be said of Walsh as of D'Antoni (and Starbury, and Curry, and on and on): "At least he got paid."   :-X
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

Are you sure, though?  Is Dolan going to be happy to sit back and rebuild, or is he always going to be chasing the superstar?  I know Walsh is in charge, but I've got a feeling that Dolan is a meddler.

Anyway, back to Chicago, that team is a good example of what can happen if you don't cash in your "chips".  Anybody want to do Tyson Chandler (since converted into Larry Hughes) + Deng for KG now?

No no no Dolan isn't a meddler. Well except for his media policies, the basektball side he stays well away from and let's the people he hires get to work.

Jerry Reisendorf on the other hand is a meddler. He gets involved in everything and there's huge amounts of complaints that he was pulling the strings for several moves on that team, Ben Wallace being the biggest.

The Knicks is a far better job than Chicago. Chicago are stuck in mediocrity, that's death's knoll in the NBA. New York have a high lottery pick, some trading assets, and a possible future around the corner. Much much better job. It's not even close.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I don't know why Stephon Marbury, well I do but they're not bball reasons, is getting such a hard time from the media about D'Antoni's offense. He's a far superior fit for this system than Kirk Hinrich.

Heck the Bulls own announcers believe the team can't run a fastbreak because they have no point guard that handle it. They all started laughing at the idea Kirk could do the job and said the team needs to trade him if they want to run with these young bodies .... and They were right. He couldn't handle it. He can't run an offense either. He's not (for his position) a good organizer, not a good decision maker, not good at recognizing what's happening on the floor. He has limited creativity and vision. He can't make quality decisions in short spaces of time by himself. He needs an over-bearing controlling coach to boss him about on every dribble to be effective, that's not D'Antoni. Terrible fit for D'Antoni's offense.

I'd much rather work with Stephon Marbury. Is he Nash? No, but he's a heck of a lot better than anybody else on the table and he'll do a far superior job.