Author Topic: Sam Mitchell, D'Antoni, Colangelo  (Read 2770 times)

Sam Mitchell, D'Antoni, Colangelo
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
This just popped into my head the other day so I figured I'd share and let somebody smarter than me tell me why this isn't going to happen. Sam Mitchell should be fired, he never should have been hired in the first place. Mike D'Antoni should be fired, he's a terrible playoff coach and his vision of the style of basketball that needs to be played to win a championship is comical. I've been saying this for years, finally they've lost handily enough for maybe a few of you to agree with me.

Point being, Brian Colangelo's in Toronto. Word on the street out here is they're actually going to go out and get a proven coach that's more than yes man if Mitchell gets canned. If D'Antoni was to be fired do you think Toronto would lure him to town? It's a much bigger market than Phoenix and they're a carbon copy of Phoenix's pre D'Antoni makeup. Lots of offensive talent, no defensive talent, a superstar who will leave town in a hurry without a whole lot more w's, a great point guard that can't guard anyone, cheap foreign shooters used to plug in holes and 3/4 full stadium that's yearning to fill up and explode the second they have an excuse to. I think they'd be a great fit for selling tickets.

[post title edited because it was stretching out the columns - Jeff]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:39:04 PM by Jeff »
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

Re: Sam Mitchell/D'Antoni/Colangelo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
If Dantoni goes to Toronto I will put up money that Calderon averages at least 10 assists per game.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:35:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Colangelo backed Mitchell the other day at the exit interviews and said he'd be returning. Looks doubtful he leaves.

Plus Sam Mitchell is a very good coach. Also, D'Antoni's style of basketball can win a title, his players just weren't better than San Antonio.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Colangelo backed Mitchell the other day at the exit interviews and said he'd be returning. Looks doubtful he leaves.

Plus Sam Mitchell is a very good coach. Also, D'Antoni's style of basketball can win a title, his players just weren't better than San Antonio.

What makes Sam Mitchell more than an average coach? Team preparation and hustle are always in question. Aside from mediocre signings their biggest issues have to do with effort. They excel at nothing, they have no identity or identifiable team philosophy.

The D'Antoni style of basketball can't win a championship, runs out of steam. There will always be a team like the Spurs that plays defense that beats them, and if it's not them it's the Hornets who were 4-0 against them this season, or the Pistons or the Celtics. If D'Antoni or Don Nelson or Avery Johnson get a ring as a coach then it can be said that it can happen, until then it can't.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What makes Sam Mitchell more than an average coach?

There's only 5 teams with a second scorer below 15ppg. 3 of them are in the lottery. The two other's are Cleveland (Big Z) and Toronto (Anthony Parker). Parker scores 12.5ppg which is the single lowest figure for any second scorer in the league.

Despite this they rank 8th in offensive efficiency. Their execution is brilliant. They take good shots. They move without the ball. They share the ball.

Toronto were second in the league for fewest turnovers committed this season. They averaged roughly the same the year before.

Anybody who thinks that a team can do that without a coach who prepares them well is wrong.

One of these people has been Peter Vescey who issued a public apology and retraction for his inaccurate stories of recent days. 

It's not just on the offensive end either. Toronto don't have much of an interior presence and they have only one good rebounder. Despite this they rank fourth in percentage of defensive rebounds grabbed. In other words only three teams protect their defensive backboards better. That's not a lack of effort. That's not a lack of prepartion.

He gets contributions from all types of players from all walks. Jamario Moon came out of nowhere to a key role player this year. The point guard's TJ and Jose's skills are utilitized to perfection. But when he had Mike James as his point he used him just as well with James having a career season.

Toronto do have an identity, Euro ball (drive and kick). Lots of high screen and rolls. Good ball and player movement. Take care of the ball. Take a lot of shots. Take a lot of threes.

He's a great communicator. Great tactician. Great with plays out of the timeouts. Makes good adjustments. Gets great effort out of his teams. His teams are very well prepared. And he's gotten better each year as a head coach.

He is one of the better coaches in the league today
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:59:46 PM by Who »

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
D'Antoni didn't win in Phoenix because his team wasn't good enough. Not because of their style of play. If they played a different way they would have lost and probably lost a lot worse.

Amare and Nash were poor defenders when they arrived. It isn't his fault they're bad defenders. Heck they even improved defensively under D'Antoni as did Phoenix's defense.

They didn't have the players to get it done. That's why they lost. Get the players and you can win.