Author Topic: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...  (Read 320 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Roy H.

  • Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 65254
  • Tommy Points: -25331
  • Optionality: Cope Springs Eternal
Quote
Major League Baseball is proposing significant changes to the structure of both its regular season and its postseason, as part of the league's desired salary cap and floor system, including permitting higher-seeded teams in the wild-card round and division series to select their opponents.

MLB has suggested that, starting in 2029, the league return to a 154-game regular season for the first time since the 1960s. Back in 1961, the American League moved from 154 games to 162. The next year, the National League followed suit.

Also beginning in 2029, MLB proposes playing best-of-seven division series, the league explained online following a bargaining session with the MLB Players Association on Thursday.
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER... AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:20:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

  • Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34261
  • Tommy Points: 1809
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm pretty indifferent towards most of the proposed changes (the barroom debates on single season records, though).  However, the one that's irking me is the proposal to eliminate playoff day games. I love the weekday daytime playoff games.   Great work distractions. Plus, its just neat seeing games with the afternoon shadows creeping in.  If nothing else, its good for the younger demographics to see some playoff games in their entirety. 


2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:54:56 AM »

Online slamtheking

  • NCE
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34200
  • Tommy Points: 10360
Not a fan of expanding the first round of playoffs to a best of 7.   keep it best of 5. 

what I'd like to see is a return to single-admission doubleheaders.  not a top priority but with the 'speed' of today's game, this isn't the all-day and night event it was becoming before they ended this. 

I find the game itself to be a lower quality product than what I grew up with in the 70s-90s.  very, very few players I'd consider truly great players.  mediocrity passed off as great because mediocre is pretty much all the league has to offer.  Starting pitchers barely making it to the 5th inning and it being considered a good effort.  Can't let them see a batter 3 times because god forbid they actually have to pitch well to get them out.  Hardly any hitters capable of batting 300 in the entire league -- people raving about how a guy hits 260 and it a great hitter.  just a really low quality product at this point.  Left the game behind 30 years ago and [dang]ed if my Brewers didn't drag me back into caring how they do again. 

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

  • Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34261
  • Tommy Points: 1809
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not a fan of expanding the first round of playoffs to a best of 7.   keep it best of 5. 

what I'd like to see is a return to single-admission doubleheaders.  not a top priority but with the 'speed' of today's game, this isn't the all-day and night event it was becoming before they ended this. 

I find the game itself to be a lower quality product than what I grew up with in the 70s-90s.  very, very few players I'd consider truly great players.  mediocrity passed off as great because mediocre is pretty much all the league has to offer.  Starting pitchers barely making it to the 5th inning and it being considered a good effort.  Can't let them see a batter 3 times because god forbid they actually have to pitch well to get them out.  Hardly any hitters capable of batting 300 in the entire league -- people raving about how a guy hits 260 and it a great hitter.  just a really low quality product at this point.  Left the game behind 30 years ago and [dang]ed if my Brewers didn't drag me back into caring how they do again.

Totally with you on pitching. We're not gonna see another 300 game winner in our lifetimes.  It's insane how managers handle pitchers now. I know analytics plays a big role but, sheesh, sometimes trust your guy and instincts.  Don't yank him with one out in the 5th when he gives up a empty bases single.   Maybe I'll just an old man screaming at a cloud now but its frustrating to watch.


2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:20:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15641
  • Tommy Points: 1127
Not a fan of expanding the first round of playoffs to a best of 7.   keep it best of 5. 

what I'd like to see is a return to single-admission doubleheaders.  not a top priority but with the 'speed' of today's game, this isn't the all-day and night event it was becoming before they ended this. 

I find the game itself to be a lower quality product than what I grew up with in the 70s-90s.  very, very few players I'd consider truly great players.  mediocrity passed off as great because mediocre is pretty much all the league has to offer.  Starting pitchers barely making it to the 5th inning and it being considered a good effort.  Can't let them see a batter 3 times because god forbid they actually have to pitch well to get them out.  Hardly any hitters capable of batting 300 in the entire league -- people raving about how a guy hits 260 and it a great hitter.  just a really low quality product at this point.  Left the game behind 30 years ago and [dang]ed if my Brewers didn't drag me back into caring how they do again.

Totally with you on pitching. We're not gonna see another 300 game winner in our lifetimes.  It's insane how managers handle pitchers now. I know analytics plays a big role but, sheesh, sometimes trust your guy and instincts.  Don't yank him with one out in the 5th when he gives up a empty bases single.   Maybe I'll just an old man screaming at a cloud now but its frustrating to watch.

I don't know all what is going on in the league, but starting pitchers back in the day threw 85-90 MPH if that.  That, with good command was enough to get hitters out.  Now you have to throw at least 90-95 MPH, if not more.  I think that is the main thing with pitchers going fewer innings.  I don't know if it is also impacted due to live ball or dead ball or what.  They are calling a truer strike zone these days also, which favors the hitters.

I also see that every team these days has at least 3 or 4 pitchers in the Bullpen that can come in and throw close to 100.  So teams use them.  Maybe too much.  But I think the analytics are pretty clear on this.

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:07:53 PM »

Online slamtheking

  • NCE
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34200
  • Tommy Points: 10360
Not a fan of expanding the first round of playoffs to a best of 7.   keep it best of 5. 

what I'd like to see is a return to single-admission doubleheaders.  not a top priority but with the 'speed' of today's game, this isn't the all-day and night event it was becoming before they ended this. 

I find the game itself to be a lower quality product than what I grew up with in the 70s-90s.  very, very few players I'd consider truly great players.  mediocrity passed off as great because mediocre is pretty much all the league has to offer.  Starting pitchers barely making it to the 5th inning and it being considered a good effort.  Can't let them see a batter 3 times because god forbid they actually have to pitch well to get them out.  Hardly any hitters capable of batting 300 in the entire league -- people raving about how a guy hits 260 and it a great hitter.  just a really low quality product at this point.  Left the game behind 30 years ago and [dang]ed if my Brewers didn't drag me back into caring how they do again.

Totally with you on pitching. We're not gonna see another 300 game winner in our lifetimes.  It's insane how managers handle pitchers now. I know analytics plays a big role but, sheesh, sometimes trust your guy and instincts.  Don't yank him with one out in the 5th when he gives up a empty bases single.   Maybe I'll just an old man screaming at a cloud now but its frustrating to watch.

I don't know all what is going on in the league, but starting pitchers back in the day threw 85-90 MPH if that.  That, with good command was enough to get hitters out.  Now you have to throw at least 90-95 MPH, if not more.  I think that is the main thing with pitchers going fewer innings.  I don't know if it is also impacted due to live ball or dead ball or what.  They are calling a truer strike zone these days also, which favors the hitters.

I also see that every team these days has at least 3 or 4 pitchers in the Bullpen that can come in and throw close to 100.  So teams use them.  Maybe too much.  But I think the analytics are pretty clear on this.
pitching speeds are definitely up now which might explain arm burnout but back in the day, fastballs were easily in the 90's where 98-99 was where the real flamethrowers could occasionally reach.  nowadays, there's a number of pitchers getting over 100.  this may be why starters pitch so few innings but to me it lessens the game if a pitcher doesn't/can't figure out how to get the other team out as many times as possible which would include getting as far into the game as possible.  used to be a successful starter would get you 7+ innings but now if they get to the 5th it's a minor miracle.

Billy Martin is probably rolling over and over in his grave considering how he ran his A's starters into the ground almost every game.

Re: MLB proposes salary cap, 154 game season, other changes...
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:13:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

  • Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34261
  • Tommy Points: 1809
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not a fan of expanding the first round of playoffs to a best of 7.   keep it best of 5. 

what I'd like to see is a return to single-admission doubleheaders.  not a top priority but with the 'speed' of today's game, this isn't the all-day and night event it was becoming before they ended this. 

I find the game itself to be a lower quality product than what I grew up with in the 70s-90s.  very, very few players I'd consider truly great players.  mediocrity passed off as great because mediocre is pretty much all the league has to offer.  Starting pitchers barely making it to the 5th inning and it being considered a good effort.  Can't let them see a batter 3 times because god forbid they actually have to pitch well to get them out.  Hardly any hitters capable of batting 300 in the entire league -- people raving about how a guy hits 260 and it a great hitter.  just a really low quality product at this point.  Left the game behind 30 years ago and [dang]ed if my Brewers didn't drag me back into caring how they do again.

Totally with you on pitching. We're not gonna see another 300 game winner in our lifetimes.  It's insane how managers handle pitchers now. I know analytics plays a big role but, sheesh, sometimes trust your guy and instincts.  Don't yank him with one out in the 5th when he gives up a empty bases single.   Maybe I'll just an old man screaming at a cloud now but its frustrating to watch.

I don't know all what is going on in the league, but starting pitchers back in the day threw 85-90 MPH if that.  That, with good command was enough to get hitters out.  Now you have to throw at least 90-95 MPH, if not more.  I think that is the main thing with pitchers going fewer innings.  I don't know if it is also impacted due to live ball or dead ball or what.  They are calling a truer strike zone these days also, which favors the hitters.

I also see that every team these days has at least 3 or 4 pitchers in the Bullpen that can come in and throw close to 100.  So teams use them.  Maybe too much.  But I think the analytics are pretty clear on this.
pitching speeds are definitely up now which might explain arm burnout but back in the day, fastballs were easily in the 90's where 98-99 was where the real flamethrowers could occasionally reach.  nowadays, there's a number of pitchers getting over 100.  this may be why starters pitch so few innings but to me it lessens the game if a pitcher doesn't/can't figure out how to get the other team out as many times as possible which would include getting as far into the game as possible.  used to be a successful starter would get you 7+ innings but now if they get to the 5th it's a minor miracle.

Billy Martin is probably rolling over and over in his grave considering how he ran his A's starters into the ground almost every game.

He also ran himself into the ground but that's a different story....

I'm with you though on starting pitching. 


2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team