Author Topic: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick  (Read 1440 times)

BudweiserCeltic and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« on: October 09, 2026, 05:37:28 AM »

Offline Smartacus

  • Bailey Howell
  • **
  • Posts: 2192
  • Tommy Points: 322
If following the Celtics through this community has taught me one thing, it?s don?t get attached to fringe roster guys. Well with Devin Carter I just can?t help it, think this guy could be one of the most impactful acquisitions in recent memeory if they can convince him to stay.

When he was drafted in 2024, I thought Sac made one of the better selections of the 1st rounds. Athletic, poised, productive in college, grew up around the game through his father. Seemed like the type of pick that could help set Sac in the right direction. Well it didn?t work out, primarily due to the roster crunch created by taking Darius Acuff but after getting knocked around, he ends up joining the Celtics and and IMO looks every bit of the lottery pick that you?d expect from a player of his pedigree. Carter is absolutely the type of player I?d be looking for in the Jaylen Brown return and has the perfect complimentary skill set to Pritchard. When the dust settles on what the next version of this team looks like, I am hoping that Devin Carter is the primary backup guard off the bench and can function as the primary Jaylen Brunson defender when he starts getting hot.

What do you think about Carter, you in or is he just another fringe player that will never crack the rotation?

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2026, 09:28:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15645
  • Tommy Points: 1127
I am happy to admit that have no idea.  Sounds like a guy we should figure out a way to keep around until we know for sure about him.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2026, 09:39:01 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

  • Ray Allen
  • ***
  • Posts: 3391
  • Tommy Points: 401
The dude has the most awkward gait of any pro athlete I can think of in recent memory.

But he seems athletic and like another classic "Brad wing". I just want to make sure Hugo's development is prioritized.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2026, 01:21:37 PM by Jiri Welsch »

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2026, 09:56:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

  • Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 65254
  • Tommy Points: -25331
  • Optionality: Cope Springs Eternal
I have a pretty hard and fast rule about trying not to get too excited or bummed about summer league or preseason.  They're of pretty limited value.

But, it was for sure a fun debut, and he clearly has talent and athleticism.  He's for sure worth a 2-way deal.  Ideally, a 2-way player will 1) be capable of playing spot minutes in the NBA when called upon, and 2) has potential to grow into a bigger role.  I think he checks both boxes.
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER... AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2026, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

  • NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • ********************
  • Posts: 20696
  • Tommy Points: 1366
Quote
I have a pretty hard and fast rule about trying not to get too excited or bummed about summer league or preseason.  They're of pretty limited value.

Agree, but it is always better to look good than bad. I do think he played this game. He looks way better than Max Shulga, though.  This does not mean anything until it is for real.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2026, 12:59:06 PM by Celtics4ever »

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2026, 02:48:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

  • Paul Pierce
  • ***************************
  • Posts: 27301
  • Tommy Points: 2832
There was more reason for excitement for Anfernee Simons last year, a guy who could shoot you into a game.  Carter looked good though a little out of control at times. I don?t expect he?ll turn games around this season.  But if he does, I?ll be very happy.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2026, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

  • JoJo White
  • ****************
  • Posts: 16011
  • Tommy Points: 1849
I believe he was a lottery pick. The jump shot is ugly, but I like everything else. They need to get a shooting coach for Carter, Hugo, and Dillon Mitchell. Stat.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:11:32 AM »

Online slamtheking

  • NCE
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 34204
  • Tommy Points: 10361
There was more reason for excitement for Anfernee Simons last year, a guy who could shoot you into a game.  Carter looked good though a little out of control at times. I don?t expect he?ll turn games around this season.  But if he does, I?ll be very happy.
If they're able to hang onto him, I don't think he'll see much court time but it's clear the kid has some real talent.  Maybe Conley misses time this season and Carter gets into some games.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a similar impact as Harper Jr did last year.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:38:46 PM »

Offline ozgod

  • Johnny Most
  • ********************
  • Posts: 20161
  • Tommy Points: 1645
I have a pretty hard and fast rule about trying not to get too excited or bummed about summer league or preseason.  They're of pretty limited value.

But, it was for sure a fun debut, and he clearly has talent and athleticism.  He's for sure worth a 2-way deal.  Ideally, a 2-way player will 1) be capable of playing spot minutes in the NBA when called upon, and 2) has potential to grow into a bigger role.  I think he checks both boxes.

Yes, I'd much rather have him on a 2-way so we can keep that last roster spot free if/when a need arises later on. And yes, I'm tempering my excitement because of the opposition he was playing  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D


Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:30:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

  • JoJo White
  • ****************
  • Posts: 16011
  • Tommy Points: 1849
There was more reason for excitement for Anfernee Simons last year, a guy who could shoot you into a game.  Carter looked good though a little out of control at times. I don?t expect he?ll turn games around this season.  But if he does, I?ll be very happy.
If they're able to hang onto him, I don't think he'll see much court time but it's clear the kid has some real talent.  Maybe Conley misses time this season and Carter gets into some games.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a similar impact as Harper Jr did last year.

Think I would rather have Carter over Connely, TBH.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 07:37:45 PM »

Offline Who

  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 55849
  • Tommy Points: 2630
There was more reason for excitement for Anfernee Simons last year, a guy who could shoot you into a game.  Carter looked good though a little out of control at times. I don?t expect he?ll turn games around this season.  But if he does, I?ll be very happy.
If they're able to hang onto him, I don't think he'll see much court time but it's clear the kid has some real talent.  Maybe Conley misses time this season and Carter gets into some games.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a similar impact as Harper Jr did last year.

Think I would rather have Carter over Connely, TBH.

Same.

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:44:00 PM »

Online Silas

  • 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • **************
  • Posts: 14017
  • Tommy Points: 2359
There was more reason for excitement for Anfernee Simons last year, a guy who could shoot you into a game.  Carter looked good though a little out of control at times. I don?t expect he?ll turn games around this season.  But if he does, I?ll be very happy.
If they're able to hang onto him, I don't think he'll see much court time but it's clear the kid has some real talent.  Maybe Conley misses time this season and Carter gets into some games.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a similar impact as Harper Jr did last year.

Think I would rather have Carter over Connely, TBH.

Same.

Maybe they sign Carter and offer Conley a coaching position.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:43:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

  • Paul Pierce
  • ***************************
  • Posts: 27301
  • Tommy Points: 2832
WT
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:55:28 PM by Neurotic Guy »

Re: Devin Carter looks like a lottery pick
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:47:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

  • Paul Pierce
  • ***************************
  • Posts: 27301
  • Tommy Points: 2832
WT. Again
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:56:00 PM by Neurotic Guy »