Author Topic: Card collectors, help me out  (Read 151700 times)

Goldstar88 and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2026, 01:52:53 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
Out of curiosity, if there was a combo of three guys you'd want to get on the same card, who would it be?

The most valuable would be MJ/Kobe/Lebron, I think.  My favorite would be the three I have here.  The one I haven't seen yet is something involving JT and JB on the same card, with anybody (White, KP, Jrue, Horford would all work).  A "dream" card that is an impossibility (other than with cut signatures) would be Russell, Wilt and maybe Kareem.
You have the combo I would want.

Same.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2026, 08:23:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

  • Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 65230
  • Tommy Points: -25334
  • Optionality: Cope Springs Eternal
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER... AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2026, 10:47:31 AM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
Believe a Kobe RC sold for a record $3M+ this month as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2026, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

  • Antoine Walker
  • ****
  • Posts: 4257
  • Tommy Points: 596
Have you gone on eBay and searched the card?

If you do a search for the card and filter the results for sold prices you could possibly see what someone was already willing to pay for it


***Edit. I looked myself and someone sold one last week on eBay.  They were selling for $33k and took a best offer.  There?s a way to find out what that final price was and for the life of me I can?t remember.
Greg

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2026, 10:18:00 AM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
Roy, was that you?  :laugh:

Fanatics Collect: BREAKING: The Cooper Flagg NBA Debut Patch autograph card has officially sold in our auction for $8,040,000. This sets the record for the most expensive Cooper Flagg card of all time, surpassing the previous record of $366,000. The historic sale makes it the third-most expensive NBA card ever and sixth-most expensive trading card in history.
x.com



https://x.com/collect/status/2103391591771840727?s=46
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2026, 01:13:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

  • Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 65230
  • Tommy Points: -25334
  • Optionality: Cope Springs Eternal
Roy, was that you?  :laugh:

Fanatics Collect: BREAKING: The Cooper Flagg NBA Debut Patch autograph card has officially sold in our auction for $8,040,000. This sets the record for the most expensive Cooper Flagg card of all time, surpassing the previous record of $366,000. The historic sale makes it the third-most expensive NBA card ever and sixth-most expensive trading card in history.
x.com



https://x.com/collect/status/2103391591771840727?s=46

Ha.  I love Cooper Flagg and have a few of his signed rookie cards at this point, but my price range is more $800, not $8,000,000.  That is an insane value to put on card like that.  Sure, it's scarce, but ultimately he's just a good player with really high potential.  To justify that value, to me he'd need to be at least Lebron-level or win 6+ titles, and I don't think he'll ever touch that.
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER... AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2026, 02:14:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
Roy, was that you?  :laugh:

Fanatics Collect: BREAKING: The Cooper Flagg NBA Debut Patch autograph card has officially sold in our auction for $8,040,000. This sets the record for the most expensive Cooper Flagg card of all time, surpassing the previous record of $366,000. The historic sale makes it the third-most expensive NBA card ever and sixth-most expensive trading card in history.
x.com



https://x.com/collect/status/2103391591771840727?s=46

Ha.  I love Cooper Flagg and have a few of his signed rookie cards at this point, but my price range is more $800, not $8,000,000.  That is an insane value to put on card like that.  Sure, it's scarce, but ultimately he's just a good player with really high potential.  To justify that value, to me he'd need to be at least Lebron-level or win 6+ titles, and I don't think he'll ever touch that.

I was thinking about buying a few Coop rookies, but I?m not a huge fan of how the new Topps NBA cards look. Panini did a much better job, IMO. I did buy a few more Tatum Rookies this summer. Some Wemby as well. It?s a fun Hobby.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 02:38:05 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

  • Don Chaney
  • *
  • Posts: 1631
  • Tommy Points: 159
For the last month or so MJ and Shaq cards have been skyrocketing. 

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:17:37 AM »

Online byennie

  • Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • **
  • Posts: 2681
  • Tommy Points: 3053
I've got nothing against people spending real money on cards if they have it to burn, and enjoy it.

That said, printing multi-million dollars cards out of thin air, for players at the level of Cooper Flagg means the industry is in a downright shady bubble of money laundering, wash trading, price fixing... all of the good stuff. It's practically at Bored Apes level right now. Not good.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #24 on: Today at 04:48:08 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
I've got nothing against people spending real money on cards if they have it to burn, and enjoy it.

That said, printing multi-million dollars cards out of thin air, for players at the level of Cooper Flagg means the industry is in a downright shady bubble of money laundering, wash trading, price fixing... all of the good stuff. It's practically at Bored Apes level right now. Not good.

It?s a 1 of 1 autographed card that sold at auction. I don?t see how it?s any different than a Superman comic book selling for $9M at auction in 2025 or a rare stamp selling for $8M in 2021. People are willing to pay a premium for rare collectibles. This isn?t anything new.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:28:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 38137
  • Tommy Points: 3062
I collect Chinese bibles

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #26 on: Today at 09:51:06 PM »

Online byennie

  • Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • **
  • Posts: 2681
  • Tommy Points: 3053
I've got nothing against people spending real money on cards if they have it to burn, and enjoy it.

That said, printing multi-million dollars cards out of thin air, for players at the level of Cooper Flagg means the industry is in a downright shady bubble of money laundering, wash trading, price fixing... all of the good stuff. It's practically at Bored Apes level right now. Not good.

It?s a 1 of 1 autographed card that sold at auction. I don?t see how it?s any different than a Superman comic book selling for $9M at auction in 2025 or a rare stamp selling for $8M in 2021. People are willing to pay a premium for rare collectibles. This isn?t anything new.

It's cynical, manufactured rarity for profit. They didn't make Superman #1 with the intention of selling it for millions one day -- that happened naturally as a piece of comic book history. Rare stamps aren't a deliberate business model to drive sales of postage.

Next year they will print 100 more 1-of-1 cards and something will sell for $10M.

Yes, in the grand scope of things people are free to buy whatever one-of-a-kind thing they want, for whatever they want to pay (and possibly, they'll end up turning a profit). There is, however, a world of difference between a genuinely rare artifact and card companies turning packs into glorified gambling complete with "chase" (jackpot) cards, fake grading services, auctioneers, etc, etc.

BTW, I collected cards for decades, and enjoy them. Today's industry is just the ultimate sellout, casino style evolution.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #27 on: Today at 10:28:40 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

  • Derrick White
  • Posts: 490
  • Tommy Points: 64
I have this card in my collection:



It's an on-card (i.e., not stickers), 1-of-10 card signed by Jordan, Magic and Bird. 

I have no real interest in selling it, but my wife doesn't understand collecting and is of the opinion that if somebody is going to pay many thousands of dollars for a piece of cardboard and ink, I should take their offer.

So, I'm a classic unmotivated seller that has to determine what an "offer I can't refuse" looks like.  Any thoughts or guidance?  FYI, I've consistently turned down offers in the $14,000 range.  Am I being crazy?

Hi Roy, that is a tough card to comp, but I did find some. CHATgpt put's a value of $7k to $15k. that is based on 2 sales.
#1. 2012 Exquisite Jordan/Magic dual autograph, /15, PSA Authentic with autograph grade 10.    
$4,800, December 2025. This was  /15, actual sale.

#2. 2012 Exquisite Jordan/Magic/Julius Erving triple autograph, 1/1, BGS 9.5  $21,900, July 2026.
This was recent and it was a graded 9.5 1/1.  Both of those cards were graded. I love your card, It is college, which keeps the price down somewhat, collectors like NBA, but certainly those autos are huge. $14k seems right in the ballpark. I use CHATgpt to do research for a lot for cards, it can find almost all the sales. but, obviously, a card is worth what someone will pay. so, take this for what it is worth, again those were the closest sales I could find, both graded and one was a 1/1.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #28 on: Today at 10:37:56 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

  • Derrick White
  • Posts: 490
  • Tommy Points: 64
I have this card in my collection:



It's an on-card (i.e., not stickers), 1-of-10 card signed by Jordan, Magic and Bird. 

I have no real interest in selling it, but my wife doesn't understand collecting and is of the opinion that if somebody is going to pay many thousands of dollars for a piece of cardboard and ink, I should take their offer.

So, I'm a classic unmotivated seller that has to determine what an "offer I can't refuse" looks like.  Any thoughts or guidance?  FYI, I've consistently turned down offers in the $14,000 range.  Am I being crazy?

Hi Roy, that is a tough card to comp, but I did find some. CHATgpt put's a value of $7k to $15k. that is based on 2 sales.
#1. 2012 Exquisite Jordan/Magic dual autograph, /15, PSA Authentic with autograph grade 10.    
$4,800, December 2025. This was  /15, actual sale.

#2. 2012 Exquisite Jordan/Magic/Julius Erving triple autograph, 1/1, BGS 9.5  $21,900, July 2026.
This was recent and it was a graded 9.5 1/1.  Both of those cards were graded. I love your card, It is college, which keeps the price down somewhat, collectors like NBA, but certainly those autos are huge. $14k seems right in the ballpark. I use CHATgpt to do research for a lot for cards, it can find almost all the sales. but, obviously, a card is worth what someone will pay. so, take this for what it is worth, again those were the closest sales I could find, both graded and one was a 1/1.
?Small clarification, Roy: the $4,800 card was PSA authenticated with a 10 autograph grade, rather than a numerical condition grade. We still haven?t found a completed sale of your exact card, so the $7k?$15k range is a rough estimate from related cards.?  Again, that is why it is a tough comp, no exact sales history, so take that for what it is worth.

Re: Card collectors, help me out
« Reply #29 on: Today at 11:08:56 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15945
  • Tommy Points: 1843
I've got nothing against people spending real money on cards if they have it to burn, and enjoy it.

That said, printing multi-million dollars cards out of thin air, for players at the level of Cooper Flagg means the industry is in a downright shady bubble of money laundering, wash trading, price fixing... all of the good stuff. It's practically at Bored Apes level right now. Not good.

It?s a 1 of 1 autographed card that sold at auction. I don?t see how it?s any different than a Superman comic book selling for $9M at auction in 2025 or a rare stamp selling for $8M in 2021. People are willing to pay a premium for rare collectibles. This isn?t anything new.

It's cynical, manufactured rarity for profit. They didn't make Superman #1 with the intention of selling it for millions one day -- that happened naturally as a piece of comic book history. Rare stamps aren't a deliberate business model to drive sales of postage.

Next year they will print 100 more 1-of-1 cards and something will sell for $10M.

Yes, in the grand scope of things people are free to buy whatever one-of-a-kind thing they want, for whatever they want to pay (and possibly, they'll end up turning a profit). There is, however, a world of difference between a genuinely rare artifact and card companies turning packs into glorified gambling complete with "chase" (jackpot) cards, fake grading services, auctioneers, etc, etc.

BTW, I collected cards for decades, and enjoy them. Today's industry is just the ultimate sellout, casino style evolution.

That?s fair. Im not saying it?s right, but this is how the trading card industry is now. It isn?t unique to Sports cards. Magic the gathering made a 1/1 card (The One Ring). Post Malone bought it through a private sale for $2M. Pokemon made a short print Illustrator card, about 40 of them. One sold at auction for $16.5M.



Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.