Author Topic: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread  (Read 1601160 times)

rondohondo, rocknrollforyoursoul and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #495 on: Today at 01:07:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15610
  • Tommy Points: 1125
Jones sucks. The guy is barely batting over .200, basically an automatic out. Put Mead in. They need guys that can at least give them a chance to score a run.

And now he pulls Gray after 70 pitches..  :blank:

Yep, just keep sending Jones out there. Brilliant

So you put Miller in after he gave up a run last night and then you go to Crochet?

Pathetic. Click.

Just a horrendous job by Tracy. It is an elimination game.

NEW YORK -- With the Boston bats ice cold at Yankee Stadium again, a couple of quick hooks by Red Sox rookie manager Chad Tracy led to another early postseason exit.

And top starter Sonny Gray wasn't happy about being lifted after only 70 pitches.

"I think I'm the best pitcher in the American League going through the order a third time. I think that's a fact," Gray said. "I would have liked to have been trusted in that moment."


Not a great showing by Tracy in his post season debut.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #496 on: Today at 02:34:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

  • NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • *********
  • Posts: 9324
  • Tommy Points: 1246
Jones sucks. The guy is barely batting over .200, basically an automatic out. Put Mead in. They need guys that can at least give them a chance to score a run.

And now he pulls Gray after 70 pitches..  :blank:

Yep, just keep sending Jones out there. Brilliant

So you put Miller in after he gave up a run last night and then you go to Crochet?

Pathetic. Click.

Just a horrendous job by Tracy. It is an elimination game.

NEW YORK -- With the Boston bats ice cold at Yankee Stadium again, a couple of quick hooks by Red Sox rookie manager Chad Tracy led to another early postseason exit.

And top starter Sonny Gray wasn't happy about being lifted after only 70 pitches.

"I think I'm the best pitcher in the American League going through the order a third time. I think that's a fact," Gray said. "I would have liked to have been trusted in that moment."


Not a great showing by Tracy in his post season debut.

I wonder if it's a case where an experienced bench coach would have helped. Having a rookie manager is hard enough, but having the whole coaching staff made up of people promoted in the organization left us pretty low on MLB playoff experience. Getting some outside experienced coaches should be a requirement for next year.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar...
I'm bitter.

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state. The other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people." - Commander Adams, Battlestar Galactica

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #497 on: Today at 02:37:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15965
  • Tommy Points: 1846
Jones sucks. The guy is barely batting over .200, basically an automatic out. Put Mead in. They need guys that can at least give them a chance to score a run.

And now he pulls Gray after 70 pitches..  :blank:

Yep, just keep sending Jones out there. Brilliant

So you put Miller in after he gave up a run last night and then you go to Crochet?

Pathetic. Click.

Just a horrendous job by Tracy. It is an elimination game.

NEW YORK -- With the Boston bats ice cold at Yankee Stadium again, a couple of quick hooks by Red Sox rookie manager Chad Tracy led to another early postseason exit.

And top starter Sonny Gray wasn't happy about being lifted after only 70 pitches.

"I think I'm the best pitcher in the American League going through the order a third time. I think that's a fact," Gray said. "I would have liked to have been trusted in that moment."


Not a great showing by Tracy in his post season debut.

I wonder if it's a case where an experienced bench coach would have helped. Having a rookie manager is hard enough, but having the whole coaching staff made up of people promoted in the organization left us pretty low on MLB playoff experience. Getting some outside experienced coaches should be a requirement for next year.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

Except one coach won a championship.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #498 on: Today at 03:35:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

  • Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 65244
  • Tommy Points: -25334
  • Optionality: Cope Springs Eternal
Jones sucks. The guy is barely batting over .200, basically an automatic out. Put Mead in. They need guys that can at least give them a chance to score a run.

And now he pulls Gray after 70 pitches..  :blank:

Yep, just keep sending Jones out there. Brilliant

So you put Miller in after he gave up a run last night and then you go to Crochet?

Pathetic. Click.

Just a horrendous job by Tracy. It is an elimination game.

NEW YORK -- With the Boston bats ice cold at Yankee Stadium again, a couple of quick hooks by Red Sox rookie manager Chad Tracy led to another early postseason exit.

And top starter Sonny Gray wasn't happy about being lifted after only 70 pitches.

"I think I'm the best pitcher in the American League going through the order a third time. I think that's a fact," Gray said. "I would have liked to have been trusted in that moment."


Not a great showing by Tracy in his post season debut.

I wonder if it's a case where an experienced bench coach would have helped. Having a rookie manager is hard enough, but having the whole coaching staff made up of people promoted in the organization left us pretty low on MLB playoff experience. Getting some outside experienced coaches should be a requirement for next year.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar...

Except one coach won a championship.  :)

With a very experienced and respected bench coach, followed by two dismal playoff runs after that bench coach took a head coaching job elsewhere.
I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER... AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #499 on: Today at 05:28:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

  • Antoine Walker
  • ****
  • Posts: 4258
  • Tommy Points: 596
I see Adley finally got a hit in the postseason.  He was like 0-23 with us the past several years, really frustrating.

EDIT:  I?m sorry, apparently he?s had 2 other hits in his career.  I always remember him being nonexistent in the postseason (along with just about every other orioles hitter not named Anthony Santander)
« Last Edit: Today at 05:34:04 PM by greg683x »
Greg

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #500 on: Today at 07:40:29 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

  • Danny Ainge
  • **********
  • Posts: 10464
  • Tommy Points: 362
Gray wasn't his sharpest, but he was likely to do better than Boston's middling middle relievers, who were bad for the second straight game. And I think Contreras is right about today's overreliance on analytics.

I also think Boston should've waited to lift Tracy's "interim" tag until after the season. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter, because it seems that the manager?whoever it might be?is just a puppet for Breslow, and Breslow's just a puppet for Henry, and Henry's not invested in titles as he used to be.

I dispute that the Sox had a good season; they had a magnificent 5 weeks in the middle of the season and were awful for the rest of it. Since the awful part was much larger than the magnificent part, that tells me that the team is much closer to awful than it is to magnificent.

In my view, the "build from within" approach isn't working for the lineup. Up to this point?which is all the data we have?Mayer's a bust, Campbell's a bust, and Anthony's a good (maybe great) hitter who can't stay healthy.

Overall, the roster has many issues. Contreras had a great season but is 34, and there's no other proven big bopper on the roster?Abreu seems like a consistent 25-homer guy at best, Mead (when healthy) has yet to prove himself over a large sample size, Story is past his prime (33), injury prone, and not long for this team, and Durbin and Rafaela are decent but not powerful hitters. Duran seems like a lost cause, and Wong and Rutschman didn't produce much, though I'm willing to give Rutschman more time.

For pitching, will Gray be back, or did Tracy drive him out of town? Will Chapman be back? Can Houck and Crawford get healthy and stay healthy? The middle-relief group seems to have too many questionable (at best) guys, especially after what we just saw against the Yankees.

Perhaps the biggest problem is Henry's current unwillingness to spend big money on proven hitters. In an age of homer-happy baseball, Boston doesn't even have a 30-homer guy, yet the passed on Schwarber, and passed on Alonso, passed on Suarez, and probably some I'm missing. Offense is a much bigger issue for this team right now than pitching is, and they're not suddenly gonna get a big scoring boost from Story/Durbin/Yoshida/Duran/Wong/Rafaela, and maybe not from Mead/Rutschman. There are just too many guys who are unproven, or who have proven to be not great hitters.

All in all, it seems to me that the team will continue to try to build mostly from within instead of spending big on proven hitters, and I don't think that'll work, and the "bridge decade" will continue.

The Sox made the playoffs on the strength of one excellent 5-week stretch, and I think that stretch is going to hurt them, because it enables Henry & Co. to say, "Look! What an awesome stretch we had! And we made the playoffs! Our plan is working!" And they'll hold to their present course and things won't really get better. Because Henry doesn't really care if the Sox get knocked out in the first round (again). Because "they made the playoffs!"

But there probably won't be any baseball next season anyway, sooo...
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

C.S. Lewis

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #501 on: Today at 10:18:33 PM »

Online byennie

  • Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • **
  • Posts: 2687
  • Tommy Points: 3053
If we were the Yankees, Mets or Dodgers we'd have just kept Sale, Schwarber and Devers and have 80 homeruns at 1B/DH and another #1 starter. Sigh.

Re: 2026 Red Sox/MLB Season Thread
« Reply #502 on: Today at 10:53:12 PM »

Online Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15965
  • Tommy Points: 1846
If we were the Yankees, Mets or Dodgers we'd have just kept Sale, Schwarber and Devers and have 80 homeruns at 1B/DH and another #1 starter. Sigh.

Could not agree more. The Sox are basically the Oakland Athletics now. Awesome.  :P
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.