Author Topic: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) ECF Game 2 5/23/24  (Read 17427 times)

Re: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) ECF Game 2 5/23/24
« Reply #855 on: May 24, 2024, 10:47:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
Does anyone know what has gotten into KOC lately? Although, I’ve disagreed with him on stuff, I’ve found him to be pretty reasonable. However, lately he’s been on the “try hard hot take train” and acting whiny.

It’s kinda cringy.

Agreed.  I find it hard to listen to him or read his stuff.

I don't know if you're speaking in terms of his takes on the Celtics or just basketball in general.  On the Celtics I've wondered if he makes an effort to be more critical of the Celtics since he works for Bill Simmons whose whole thing is being a Boston superfan.  Maybe doesn't want to seem like he's a puppet for his boss.

Simmons discovered KOC writing draft coverage for CelticsBlog. His research back then was excellent, and he was very accessible to posters (like me) asking him questions. He is as much a Celtic fan as Simmons, but claims that he stopped becoming a fan once he became a national journalist.  He is trying too hard to do that, LOL.

I don't think that's it - I think KOC has 'dropped off' because there aren't many compelling narratives in this playoffs that involve the Celtics (good team beats many teams), and no one is going to go to any Simmons product for serious analysis (or good writing, really) on the actual games. It's all about 'the arrival of the pacers, the resurrection of new york, KAT shows up, who takes the fall for Denver' and so on:
https://www.theringer.com/nba
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #856 on: May 24, 2024, 11:37:55 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol the NBA twitter page yesterday posted Tatum mic'd up in Game 1, and at the beginning he legit daps up Tony Brothers pregame and hugs him. Then yesterday apparently Scott Foster is actually doing warmups right next to Tatum/Deuce. Found that funny.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #857 on: May 24, 2024, 11:40:14 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
Does anyone know what has gotten into KOC lately? Although, I’ve disagreed with him on stuff, I’ve found him to be pretty reasonable. However, lately he’s been on the “try hard hot take train” and acting whiny.

It’s kinda cringy.

Agreed.  I find it hard to listen to him or read his stuff.

I don't know if you're speaking in terms of his takes on the Celtics or just basketball in general.  On the Celtics I've wondered if he makes an effort to be more critical of the Celtics since he works for Bill Simmons whose whole thing is being a Boston superfan.  Maybe doesn't want to seem like he's a puppet for his boss.

Simmons discovered KOC writing draft coverage for CelticsBlog. His research back then was excellent, and he was very accessible to posters (like me) asking him questions. He is as much a Celtic fan as Simmons, but claims that he stopped becoming a fan once he became a national journalist.  He is trying too hard to do that, LOL.

I don't think that's it - I think KOC has 'dropped off' because there aren't many compelling narratives in this playoffs that involve the Celtics (good team beats many teams), and no one is going to go to any Simmons product for serious analysis (or good writing, really) on the actual games. It's all about 'the arrival of the pacers, the resurrection of new york, KAT shows up, who takes the fall for Denver' and so on:
https://www.theringer.com/nba

The moral of the story:

You either die a good basketball analyst or live long enough to morph into an insufferable hot take artist.

« Reply #858 on: May 24, 2024, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
If I were a pacer fan or even a player, I be upset that Carlisle took out all his starters with 7 minutes to go especially with Siakim going off

Yeh.  That seemed like a weird white flag.  Almost came across as a white flag for the series.
And it got little to no reference from the announcing crew - which to me means they ignored what should have been a major theme of the game.

Breen usually does a good job, but not last night. He didn't get much help from his analysts either.  Really, really poor broadcast last night from ESPN.

« Reply #859 on: May 24, 2024, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
On the game itself, I thought it turned during Brissett's first appearance. I know I had expressed some reservations about going small and playing him, but it worked, and in a big way. Oshe's hustle and enthusiasm I thought energized the team and helped fuel their big run.

I would expect Joe to use him again - whether or not Kornet returns - in Game 3. Indiana couldn't adjust last night. It will be interesting to see whether they can do it on Saturday, though if Haliburton is out, all bets are off, assuming the Celtics don't take the night off.

« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2024, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 503
If I were a pacer fan or even a player, I be upset that Carlisle took out all his starters with 7 minutes to go especially with Siakim going off

Yeh.  That seemed like a weird white flag.  Almost came across as a white flag for the series.
And it got little to no reference from the announcing crew - which to me means they ignored what should have been a major theme of the game.

Breen usually does a good job, but not last night. He didn't get much help from his analysts either.  Really, really poor broadcast last night from ESPN.

The ESPN crews this year are terrible.  Almost unwatchable at times. 

« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2024, 12:35:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998

I’d agree with you except the alternative is Reggie Miller on TNT…

« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
Lol the NBA twitter page yesterday posted Tatum mic'd up in Game 1, and at the beginning he legit daps up Tony Brothers pregame and hugs him. Then yesterday apparently Scott Foster is actually doing warmups right next to Tatum/Deuce. Found that funny.

No wonder in Game 1 we had a favorable 30-10 FT advantage, and in Game 2 we had about 20 free-throws lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup

Some weird faux pas too.  Sideline reporter talking too long while Siakam was making a great shot, and once missing a Holliday layup when they ran the replay too long.  Little stuff, but I find it annoying. 
Yup

« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2024, 01:39:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be

Some weird faux pas too.  Sideline reporter talking too long while Siakam was making a great shot, and once missing a Holliday layup when they ran the replay too long.  Little stuff, but I find it annoying.

It’s too bad that NBC will be replacing TNT instead of ABC/ESPN

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #865 on: May 24, 2024, 02:39:34 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I think we should give Brissett more of Haauser's minutes. Hauser can't hit a shot. He had at least 3 open looks.

I'm glad Hauser played 20 minutes tonight. He needs to play through his shooting woes as long it's not a detriment to the team.

Brissett, Tillman and even Queta need more minutes.

Having said that, I 100% agree about Hauser.
Give him consistent minutes - that is how he finally became an asset during the regular season.
He will get his shot back, hopefully along with Tatum.

100%. brissett/tillman/queta should absolutely get more minutes, which would allow KP more time to fully heal. i don’t want to rush him back; big men with lower leg injuries (particularly calf, achilles, or foot) don’t fare well.

i’d also like to see svi get more minutes. he flashed at the end of the season, can score in bunches, and he’s surprisingly athletic (who else was shocked by that dunk against wash?).

« Reply #866 on: May 24, 2024, 04:08:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we should give Brissett more of Haauser's minutes. Hauser can't hit a shot. He had at least 3 open looks.

I'm glad Hauser played 20 minutes tonight. He needs to play through his shooting woes as long it's not a detriment to the team.

Brissett, Tillman and even Queta need more minutes.

Having said that, I 100% agree about Hauser.
Give him consistent minutes - that is how he finally became an asset during the regular season.
He will get his shot back, hopefully along with Tatum.

100%. brissett/tillman/queta should absolutely get more minutes, which would allow KP more time to fully heal. i don’t want to rush him back; big men with lower leg injuries (particularly calf, achilles, or foot) don’t fare well.

i’d also like to see svi get more minutes. he flashed at the end of the season, can score in bunches, and he’s surprisingly athletic (who else was shocked by that dunk against wash?).

I thinks it's probably unrealistic to run a 12 or 13 man rotation in the playoffs. 

I'm very surprised by how resistant Joe has been to play Tilman, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #867 on: May 24, 2024, 04:52:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
What’s Joe going to do if Kornet is out? Stay small which worked very well or be forced to play Tillman finally?

Kornet is doubtful for tomorrow so I am hoping we see more of Brissett. Playing him allows the Celtics to switch much easier.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 05:02:19 PM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #868 on: May 24, 2024, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671

espn sucks. period. for many reasons i will not elaborate on
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #869 on: May 24, 2024, 05:37:26 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It’s hard enough to watch the games on ESPN, but I do not watch those pregame shows with those idiots anymore.