Author Topic: Tatum and Brown appreciation thread  (Read 7220 times)

Tatum and Brown appreciation thread
« on: May 21, 2024, 08:48:16 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 145
I was just sitting around thinking about all the hate/criticism that Tatum and Brown constantly cop from the mainstream sports media and fans, and it got me thinking.

I started remembering where this Celtics team actually was after the "big 3" left town, and before Tatum and Brown came along. 

In the three seasons from 2013/14 - 2015/16 the Celtics went 113-133 (0.459) and never made it past the 1st round.

I remember how low morale was on these forums.  I remember people constantly and desperately begging for Danny Ainge to make a meaningful move - ANY meaningful move - to bring in a genuine all-star (or even fringe/potential all-star) in to Boston.  I remember people  complaining that nobody ever wants to play in Boston, begging for Danny Ainge to bring in guys like Jahlil Okafor, Nerlens Noel, Tobias Harris, Greg Monroe. 

I can even remember people complaining that we were weren't bad enough - begging Danny to intentionally tank, in the hope that we could follow in the Sixers footsteps as they kept drafting stud after stud while their fans looked on in pain at years of embarassing tanking sessions. 

Things were really very dire around here. 

Then Danny Ainge drafted Jaylen Brown in the 2016/17 season and Jayson Tatum in the 2017/18 season. 

The Celtics in 6 seasons with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum have gone 296-176 (0.627) and made 3x Conference Finals and 1x NBA Finals - and that's not including this season, which will improve that overall record and add AT LEAST another conference finals to that list. 

The Celtics have completely changed their roster in those recent years - Horford left and came back, Rozier got traded, Kyrie came and left, Kemba came and left, Brogdon and Rob Williams came and left, Derrick white came along, there were two head coaching changes...the the only thing that's been consistent from 2016 until today is the presence of Tatum and Brown. 

We've all been critical of the Jays over the years, and no doubt they have their flaws...but at the end of the day as long as these two guys are in Boston the Celtics are a perennial contender, and we have high profile guys like Malcolm Brogdon, Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis jumping at the chance to come play here because they want to play with the Jays and become a part of this young winning team. 

This team has become so good that anything less than the NBA finals is a legitimate non-event, and I think sometimes we forget how lucky we are to be in that position. 

So I just want to say thank you JT and JB for dragging this franchise out of a very dark era and into a new era where every single y ear we get to watch our guys going on deep, entertaining championship runs.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 11:12:05 AM by Muzzy66 »

Re: Tatum and Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Excellent post! Thanks and TP. Totally agree that we are incredibly fortunate fans to have the Jays.  The only historical tweak I’d make is that there was some hopefulness connected to the ridiculous heist that Ainge pulled off on the Nets for Pierce and Garnett - PP’s and KG’s farewell gift to Boston.  As an aside, I love how loyal those two have been to the Celtics despite the trade. Celtics forever - as I hope the Jays will be.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 11:19:59 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 11:39:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25591
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They'll both be in the rafters someday, hopefully next to another couple of banners.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 11:54:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
They'll both be in the rafters someday, hopefully next to another couple of banners.

They'll be the first ones on the new sheet. KG filled the last one

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 11:57:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25591
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm still rooting for Danny to be up there some day.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 12:02:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm still rooting for Danny to be up there some day.

I'd love to see a "Danny" and an "Al" (if the Celtics win the title) up there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 12:21:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
If the Celtics in it all this year or next I think it dramatically increases the chances that both guys are around long term, and if they are they will end up at or near the top of a lot of all time Celtics lists.

Its a generation Celtics duo that has done just about everything you could want except win a title. Really hope they get it this year.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 12:22:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
If the Celtics in it all this year or next I think it dramatically increases the chances that both guys are around long term, and if they are they will end up at or near the top of a lot of all time Celtics lists.

Its a generation Celtics duo that has done just about everything you could want except win a title. Really hope they get it this year.
If not this year, I don't think it happens.  This is their shot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575

Maybe. I've watched enough basketball to know that its very unpredictable year to year. A lot of people thought the C's window had closed when they went .500 back in 2021. Then some people wondered whether they blew their chance when they lost to GSW in 2022. People thought Jaylen needed to be traded after they got upset in the ECF in 2023. So ya, this year seems wide open and it will be disappointing if they lose, but I'm never willing to just say that's it.

But ya, this is easily the best chance they've had so far and its hard to see an easier path to the Finals. Although i will say: Neither Dallas nor Minnesota would be a finals pushover. I'd put those teams on a close to similar level as Denver, GSW, Phoenix in terms of deserving Finals teams the last few years.

The major caveat is always injuries. If KP doesn't come back and they lose to Minnesota I don't think that's a choke job. Same if Tatum/Brown/White were to go down with a sprained ankle or something.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 12:49:51 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 12:46:09 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 195

Popular take. I think they will be extremely mentally fragile if they somehow choke this opportunity away but you have no idea what could open up or happen in the future, after years of choking no one thought Dirk Nowitzki would finally win in 2011, the pressure was a little different and they ended up having the most impressive run and unlikely championship I can remember when Dirk was 32

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2024, 01:34:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
https://x.com/lissmx14/status/1792944538773791001?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The media narrative around this team - especially Tatum - is just crazy right now. Even good basketball minds like Legler are for whatever reason being very reactionary and down on the C’s right now. He predicts this series goes 7 and took Minny over Boston for the Finals after being on the Boston bandwagon all year. I don’t get it.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2024, 03:02:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Maybe. I've watched enough basketball to know that its very unpredictable year to year. A lot of people thought the C's window had closed when they went .500 back in 2021. Then some people wondered whether they blew their chance when they lost to GSW in 2022. People thought Jaylen needed to be traded after they got upset in the ECF in 2023. So ya, this year seems wide open and it will be disappointing if they lose, but I'm never willing to just say that's it.

But ya, this is easily the best chance they've had so far and its hard to see an easier path to the Finals. Although i will say: Neither Dallas nor Minnesota would be a finals pushover. I'd put those teams on a close to similar level as Denver, GSW, Phoenix in terms of deserving Finals teams the last few years.

The major caveat is always injuries. If KP doesn't come back and they lose to Minnesota I don't think that's a choke job. Same if Tatum/Brown/White were to go down with a sprained ankle or something.

I think they have have a great chance this year, but to close their window after this season feels really premature and reactionary. It's been well established how hard it is to win it all in this league before age 27/28 but if 26 year old Jayson Tatum doesn't win right now it's likely he never will?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2024, 03:40:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

I think they have have a great chance this year, but to close their window after this season feels really premature and reactionary. It's been well established how hard it is to win it all in this league before age 27/28 but if 26 year old Jayson Tatum doesn't win right now it's likely he never will?
If it came off that way, that wasn't the intention. I was meaning that if they don't win this year, then they won't win as a duo and will need to be broken up.  The team is going to price and age itself out very quickly.  This is the year or I just don't think it happens without some major moves.  There are always variables, but everything lines up for them.  I think you could make a similar argument about the Bills and Josh Allen getting by the Chiefs (and to a lesser extent the same if Ravens and Chiefs).  Last year was the best chance for Allen and he didn't do it. The team has now moved off of Diggs and will probably make a bunch of other moves in the next year to try and build a different team around Allen to get by the Chiefs.  That is what I see for Boston if they don't win this year.  If they can't do it this year, then I just don't think it happens for Tatum and Brown as teammates.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip