Author Topic: Pacers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 5/21/24  (Read 17907 times)

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
IND playoff points per game:  114
BOS playoff points per game:  108

IND playoff opponent PPG:  111
BOS playoff opponent PPG:  98

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's better to look at per-possession stats, because pace is such a factor.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?sort=PACE&dir=-1

Overall, we have been about 9.2 points per 100 possessions better than them so far.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
My dad's first game of the season and first game since beating cancer.  Hope the Celtics give him a W.

What awesome news!   Congrats to your dad and such good news for your family!!
A celtics win is just the topping on the cake.

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
I have a nervous feeling about tonight. Not "doom and gloom" but cautious doubt. Which is odd because that's definitely what Game 2 should be lol

I don't think it would surprise anyone if IND came out fast and hot and BOS not so much.  How well we can get the game back to our pace will be the key.

That is usually what happens when one team has had some time off. They take a quarter to get going again. Meanwhile the other team builds up a small lead. Usually only lasts a quarter. Shed the rust.

That was what I was going to say, the start of game 1 after a layoff sometimes is rough.  But I feel this team's focus is better than last year, and the players are more hungry.   

Can't wait for tonight's game.   As an Iowa State grad, I am happy to see Haliburton's success this year, but making the ECF is enough for this Pacers team right now.   Time for the Celtcs to finish their task and get back to the finals.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 616
Indy just had to travel 2 days ago after a game 7. No reason on earth we should lose this game.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

Overall, we have been about 9.2 points per 100 possessions better than them so far.

Are you looking at the Net per 100 Possession (NRTG)?  That is fair.  They are scoring more but so are their opponents.  That is clear no matter what set of numbers you consider.  The net per 100 poss is a little elongated as compared the net per game as the pace for both teams is <100 (93 IND, 91 BOS).

When I check team stats per100 poss, IND is 121.7 pts/100-poss, BOS is 118.9 pts/100-poss.  IND is scoring more per possession and has been playing at a higher pace also (more possessions per game).  TS% is the same for both (60%) but they are better for EFG% (58.1% to 56.9%).  I think the difference is TS% considers FTs, which BOS is taking and making more of to offset the more FGs they are making.

We are going to have to slow them down, both in terms of pace and in terms of shot making (eliminate easy buckets they create off of pushing the ball).  That is no secret.  And it will be harder to slow them down than it was to slow down either CLE or MIA (who were trying to slow us down).  But it will also be easier to score on them.  Again, this is all pretty obvious.  Even Charles Barkley will probably recognize this.

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Are you looking at the Net per 100 Possession (NRTG)?  That is fair.  They are scoring more but so are their opponents.  That is clear no matter what set of numbers you consider.  The net per 100 poss is a little elongated as compared the net per game as the pace for both teams is <100 (93 IND, 91 BOS).

When I check team stats per100 poss, IND is 121.7 pts/100-poss, BOS is 118.9 pts/100-poss.  IND is scoring more per possession and has been playing at a higher pace also (more possessions per game).  TS% is the same for both (60%) but they are better for EFG% (58.1% to 56.9%).  I think the difference is TS% considers FTs, which BOS is taking and making more of to offset the more FGs they are making.

We are going to have to slow them down, both in terms of pace and in terms of shot making (eliminate easy buckets they create off of pushing the ball).  That is no secret.  And it will be harder to slow them down than it was to slow down either CLE or MIA (who were trying to slow us down).  But it will also be easier to score on them.  Again, this is all pretty obvious.  Even Charles Barkley will probably recognize this.

6 games against that Bucks defense will do wonder for your net rating numbers.  Playoff offense and defense stats are interesting, but they should be taken with a strong grain of salt because teams have only had one or two opponents, so if you drew a bad defense or a bad offense in a series, it can make you look different than your season-level performance.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Indy just had to travel 2 days ago after a game 7. No reason on earth we should lose this game.

We may lose this for one (or all) of these reasons:

1) Rust
2) No Kristaps Porzingis
3) Playing with their food
4) No defense

Of course, all of these will factor into Joe Mazzulla as well.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

I wish , but I’m not Charlie Brown , I’ve had the ball pulled out by the Celtics too many times when the world was theirs for the taking.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:23:58 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Really need to get the pacers on their heels early. They have a tendency to fade when they get behind.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
Time for an epic JT game to start the series.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My dad's first game of the season and first game since beating cancer.  Hope the Celtics give him a W.

Fantastic news.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Somebody on FB just said that Abby reported that KP is still limping.  Did anybody see that report?

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Somebody on FB just said that Abby reported that KP is still limping.  Did anybody see that report?

I’m afraid of what might happen with KP. That injury just doesn’t heal well or fast. I know Tillman is out tonight but they need to play him. He can at least defend.

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Woj just said game 4 for KP to return. Progressing.