Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Cavaliers (1-1) Game #3 Eastern Conference Semifinals 5/11/24  (Read 12209 times)

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11860
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (1-1) at Cleveland Cavaliers (1-1)
Saturday, May 11, 2024
8:30 PM ET
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game #3
TV: ABC
Radio:98.5 Sports Hub,  WTAM/WNZN, ESPN Radio, Sirius XM
Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday    ...................................... SG: Derrick White

C:  Al Horford

SF:  Jaylen Brown   ............................................ PF: Jayson Tatum

Celtics Reserves

Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Walsh
Jaden Springer
Xavier Tillman
Neemias Queta
Luke Kornet

2 Way Players

JD Davison
Drew Peterson

Injuries/Out
Kristaps Porzingis (calf) out

Head Coach
Joe Mazzulla

Probable Starters

PG:  Darius Garland   ................ SG:  Donovan Mitchell

C:  Evan Mobley

SF:  Max Strus  ................. PF:  Isaac Okoro

Cavaliers Reserves
Damian Jones
Caris LeVert
Sam Merrill
Georges Niang
Marcus Morris, Sr
Tristan Thompson

Two Way Players
Emoni Bates
Isaiah Mobley
Craig Porter, Jr

Injuries/Out
Ty Jerome (ankle) out
Dean Wade  (knee) questionable
Craig Porter, Jr (ankle) out
Jarrett Allen  (ribs)  questionable

Head Coach

JB Bickerstaff

Game Notes
The series moves to Cleveland for Game 3 with the Celtics and Cavaliers tied at one game each.  The Celtics opened the Eastern Conference Semifinals with a 120-95 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers in Boston.  The Celtics then came out flat in Game 2 and lost 118-94 as they struggled to score and forgot how to defend and rebound. 

Game 3 is a pivotal game for both teams.  Teams that win Game 3 of a 1-1 best-of-seven series go on to win the series 73.7% of the time.  In the first round,  the Celtics did the same thing against a short handed Heat team after beating them 114-94 in Game 1, they lost Game 2 111-101.  After that disappointing loss, however, the Celtics came back to win the next 3 games, including 2 in Miami.  Celtics fans are hoping that they can turn it around the same way in this series. 

The Celtics have been an enigma in the playoffs.  After losing just 4 games at home all season, they have already lost 2 games at home in the playoffs.  The Celtics are 15-15 in their last 30 home playoff games.   They are 16-10 on the road over that same period of time.   Historically, after starting 1-1 in a series, the Celtics have gone on to win those series 7 times out of 11.  After going 1-1 on the road to start a series, the Cavaliers are 0-2 in series wins. 

This is the first meeting between these two teams in the post season since 2018 when the 4th seeded Cavaliers beat the 2nd seeded Celtics in 7 games.  In 2017, the 2nd seeded Cavaliers beat the 1st seeded Celtics in 5 games.  In 2015, Cleveland beat the Celtics in the 1st round in a sweep.  In 2010, Boston won in 6 games in LeBron James last year in Cleveland before moving to Miami.  In 2008, when the Celtics won the title, Boston beat Cleveland in 7 games in the 2nd round.  Previously, they met 3 times with Boston winning in 1976 and 1985 and Cleveland winning in 1992.   

Kristaps Porzingis remains the only player on the Celtics injury report.  He is dealing with a calf injury that he suffered in Game 4 of Boston's first-round series against the Heat. He has been at the Celtics' practices, putting up shots.  He is also walking normally without a limp.  The Celtics started Al Horford in Games 1 and 2 Horford will likely start again.  Luke Kornet and Xavier Tillman have come off the bench to back him up. 

The Cavaliers have already ruled out 2 players and have 2 others listed as questionable.  Ty Jerome is out as he recovers from ankle surgery.  Craig Porter, Jr has missed 9 games with an ankle sprain and is out for this game.  Dean Wade, who was the hero of the Cavaliers lone win in the regular season, has been out since March 8 with a knee sprain and is questionable for this game. 

Jarrett Allen played very well in Cleveland's first 4 games against the Magic averaging 17.0 points, 13.8 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 1.0 blocks.  He took a hit from Franz Wagner in Game 4 and sustained a rib injury that kept him out of the last 3 games of that series. He missed Games 1 and 2 in this series, and is listed as questionable for this game.  Both Wade and Allen will be a game time decision. 

Key Matchups 
vs
Derrick White vs Donovan Mitchell
Mitchell is averaging 29.2 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.2 steals per game in the playoffs.  He is shooting 46.8% from the field and 31.4.0% from beyond the arc.  In Game 1, he finished with 33 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and 1 steal while shooting 48% from the field and 35.4% from beyond the arc.  In Game 2, he finished with 29 points, 7 rebounds and 8 assists.  He shot 52.6% from the field and 71.4% from beyond the arc.  The Celtics must do a better job of defending him, especially on the perimeter.  After playing very will in the Celtics previous playoff games, Derrick White struggled in Game 2.  Hopefully he can bounce back and have a good game in this one. 

vs
Al Horford vs Evan Mobley
Of course, if Jarrett Allen can play, he would be the matchup here.  Mobley is averaging 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 2.7 blocks in the playoffs.  He is shooting 52% from the field and 30.8% from beyond the arc.  In Game 1, he finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block, while shooting 66.7% from the field and he didn't take a 3.  In Game 2, he finished with 21 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks.  He shot 60% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc.   The Celtics need to try to keep him out of the paint and off the boards. 

Honorable Mention
Jrue Holiday  vs  Darius Garland
Garland is averaging 14.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1 steal per game in the playoffs.  He is shooting 45.5% from the field and 41.7%from beyond the arc.   Against the Celtics this season, he averaged 22.5 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists and 1.5 steals.  He shot 45.2% from the field and 46.7% from beyond the arc in the playoffs.  In Game 2, he finished with 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal while shooting 52.6% from the field and 80% from beyond the arc. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning games and especially in the playoffs when defense becomes even more important. The Celtics have a defensive rating of 104.8, which is 3rd in the playoffs.  Cavaliers have a 107.4 defensive rating, which is 5th in the playoffs.  The Celtics owe their Game 1 win to playing tough defense and they can blame their Game 2 loss to a lack of defense on their part.  The Cavs shot 54.7% from the field and 46.4% from beyond the arc in Game 2.  The Celtics must play lock down defense from start to finish if they hope to win this game.   

Rebound - Next to defense, rebounding is the next biggest key to winning. Much of rebounding is effort and desire and when the Celtics put out the extra effort on the boards,  it usually carries through to the rest of their game.  The same is true when they slack off on effort and allow themselves to be out-rebounded.   In the first round, the Celtics won every game they out-rebounded the Heat and lost the only game the Heat had more rebounds than them.  The Celtics out-rebounded the Cavs in the first game 55-38 but once again, in Game 2, they were out-rebounded by the Cavs 44-31 and they lost the game.  The Celtics must work harder to grab rebounds than the Cavaliers in this game if they want to win.

Three Point Shooting - The Celtics led the league in 3’s taken in the regular season, taking 42.5 per game. In Round 1 of the playoffs, they took 39 per game (2nd). The Cavaliers were 8th in the regular season, taking 36.8 threes per game. Against the Heat, the Celtics took 38.5 threes per game (2nd) while the Cavs took 30.8 threes per game (14th) against the Magic. The Celtics were 1st with 14 made 3’s per game while the Cavs were last with just 8.6 made 3’s per game in Round 1. The Celtics are 59-7 this season when making the same number or more 3’s than their opponents. They are just 10-13 when they make fewer 3’s than their opponents. In Game 1, the Celtics made 18 threes while the Cavs made just 11. In Game 2, the Celtics made just 8 3's while the Cavs made 13. The Celtics need to make their 3 pointers and at the same time, defend the perimeter well to limit the 3 point shooting of the Cavs.

Effort and Focus for 48 Minutes - The Celtics need to stay focused for 48 minutes.  They have to play with extra effort. The Cavs play hard and so the Celtics need to match that effort and play even harder.   The team that plays harder and is more aggressive is usually the team that comes out on top and that also gets the better whistle.  The Celtics also have to stay focused.  They have to focus on taking good shots and making them and on playing as a team and making the right play every time.  They also have to keep that effort and focus up for 48 minutes with no let up and no collapse.  The Celtics effort and focus were missing in Game 2 and they need to come into this game focused and ready to play harder than the Cavaliers.

Bench Play - The Celtics need to get help from their reserves.  In Game 1, the Celtics reserves were a difference maker for them while the Cavs bench didn't contribute all that much.  In the regular season, the Celtics had the top ranked bench play with a net rating of 6.2.  They have done even better in the playoffs with a net rating of 9.6 for their bench in the first round.    The Cavs bench was 15th in the regular season and improved to 11th in the playhoffs with a net rating of 3.2.  The Celtics bench loses a lot with Al Horford moving into the starting lineup.  The Celtics bench outscored the Cavs bench 24-15 in Game 1. However, in Game 2, the Cavs bench out scored the Celtics bench 30-25, with Caris LeVert scoring 21.   They will need Payton Pritchard, Sam Hauser and Luke Kornet to play well in this game.

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics are playing on the road and will need to stay focused in spite of the distractions of travel and playing in front of a hostile crowd.  Cavs fans really do not like the Celtics  and will likely be loud and antagonistic.  The Celtics are 2-0 so far on the road in the playoffs, winning the 2 games in Miami after their loss in Game 2 in Boston.  They need to come into this game focused and ready to play harder than the Cavs, regardless of the venue. 

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor.  Every crew calls the game a little differently with some calling it tight and others letting them play.  They seem to be letting them play more in these playoffs so far, but that could change with any given crew and any given game.  The Celtics have to adjust to how the game is being called and focus on the game and not on the officials. 

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1478
Let’s go! TP to FLCeltsFan for the game thread!! Go C’s!!!
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Goldstar88    for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!

Beat the Cavs!!!!!!

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
Must-win
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 109
  • B's Up
Lets go Cs. Come out strong and don't settle for the 1st shot
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
Road game 3, 1-1, Saturday Night primetime. Idk if I can watch this live, my anxiety levels will be through the roof if I do
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Road game 3, 1-1, Saturday Night primetime. Idk if I can watch this live, my anxiety levels will be through the roof if I do

How are you going to watch the Finals if you are this nervous about Game 3 of only the second round

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Any word on Jarrett Allen? I haven't seen anything. I presume he is still out.

I have to admit his return would make me nervous. I am not concerned about Gm 2's defeat. We are much better than them and this current CLE team is not a threat to beat us in a playoff series. I do think this team with Jarrett Allen could be though. Only because we are weakened due to the loss of Porzingis.

Anyway, no Jarrett Allen as far as we know. I feel good about Gm 3 being a win. I wouldn't be surprised if we win both games on their home floor and come home up 3-1 to win the series.

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 716
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I already have the nerves.

I’m with phantom. Might watch something else to get me through the time. Just too anxious.

Allen is still questionable but still has done no basketball work since this happened.

Cavs fans are hoping dean wade plays.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019
This is an absolute must-win game. Lose Game 3 and you risk and fear of being down 3-1.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019

I have to admit his return would make me nervous. I am not concerned about Gm 2's defeat. We are much better than them and this current CLE team is not a threat to beat us in a playoff series. I do think this team with Jarrett Allen could be though. Only because we are weakened due to the loss of Porzingis.

Anyway, no Jarrett Allen as far as we know. I feel good about Gm 3 being a win. I wouldn't be surprised if we win both games on their home floor and come home up 3-1 to win the series.

We gotta rush Porzingis back if Allen returns. Or if this series go the limit, then KP should be in uniform.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562

I’ll have a very hard time watching live. Would have been a low stress game if Cs won G2. I often stay away 15 minutes at a time and then FF through the game to catch up. Better on my nerves that way.

Big game. Back to winning - Go C’s.

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
“I think Dean Wade is planning on playing tomorrow,” Windhorst said. “I don’t know what he’ll get because the Cavs haven’t really announced what’s going on in his knee. He’s really worked hard to make this happen.”

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1404

We gotta rush Porzingis back if Allen returns. Or if this series go the limit, then KP should be in uniform.

Wow you're in full panic stations Sparz  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1404

How are you going to watch the Finals if you are this nervous about Game 3 of only the second round

I'm excited, looking forward to it! I think we will put up a good showing  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D