Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 53817 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2024, 05:46:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1497
I was hoping the Pats would have made a run at Tyler Boyd, but he just signed a 1 year deal with the Titans for $4.5M. NE couldn’t have offered him $6-7M? He’s a solid WR… Do players not want to come to here or is Kraft just unwilling to spend?

Idk, but the fact that it took him this long to sign and for that money makes me think there was something teams didn't want. 30 other teams passed on him too.

NE's WR group is a bit crowded. Granted, a few of them should gladly take a hike (like JuJu, Thornton, etc.), but yeah I would have loved Boyd. Tbh I wonder if they look at Osborn the same way and think he'd be redundant.

As for a potential FA target, I would still love to reunite with Stephon Gilmore. He's still available, and can function as a great #2 alongside Gonzalez and veteran presence for the younger guys. The team does still need some depth at CB, like last year they are a Gonzalez and/or Jonathan Jones injury away from having to rely on rookies or mediocre depth pieces.

Sounds like Boyd was holding out for more money and it backfired on him. Not many teams have much left at this point, but the Pats do… I think he’s quite a bit better than Osborn and has good size at 6’2” as well. KJ is only 5’11”. Tyler has also had multiple 1000 yard seasons. He would have been the best WR on the Pats.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2024, 09:49:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1037
Patriots 2024 schedule, released:

Week 1: Sept. 8 at Cincinnati

Week 2: Sept. 15. vs. Seattle

Week 3: Sept. 19 at N.Y. Jets (TNF)

Week 4: Sept. 29 at San Francisco

Week 5: Oct. 6 vs. Miami

Week 6: Oct. 13 vs. Houston

Week 7: Oct. 20 at Jacksonville (Wembley Stadium, London)

Week 8: Oct. 27 vs. N.Y. Jets

Week 9: Nov. 3 at Tennessee

Week 10: Nov. 10 at Chicago

Week 11: Nov. 17 vs. L.A. Rams

Week 12: Nov. 24 at Miami

Week 13: Dec. 1 vs. Indianapolis

Week 14: BYE

Week 15: Dec. 15 at Arizona

Week 16: Dec. 22 at Buffalo

Week 17: Dec. 29 vs. L.A. Chargers

Week 18: Jan. 4 or 5 vs. Buffalo
------------------------------------

Ooof, that's a brutal start lol. Got Cincy and Seattle, and then Aaron Rodgers, Superbowl runner-ups, Tua's Dolphins, CJ Stroud Texans, the revenge of Mac Jones Jaguars in London, and Aaron Rodgers again.

Probably a 1-7 start?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2024, 11:02:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1565
The Ravens have 3 days off for a game and that is after a short week the game before.  That seems like an issue.  They are at the Giants on December 15, then host the Steelers December 21, and then play at Houston on December 25.  They then don't play the Browns until January 5 and before that stretch have their bye and 2 weeks off.   The Texans are at KC on December 21 (and host Miami on December 15) before the Christmas game so the Ravens aren't at a disadvantage to the Texans, but those Wednesday Christmas games seem problematic.  Seems like a good way for teams to get injured with so little time off.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2024, 09:21:21 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
The 21-year-old QB’s increased reps bode well for his overall progression ahead of mandatory minicamp, with Maye making his best throw of the day off a sidearm toss to DeMario Douglas in the end zone during 7-on-7s.

But 11-on-11 drills presented its fair share of challenges, with Maye knocked for two interceptions by Kyle Dugger and Kaleb Ford-Dement.

“He’s doing well,” Jerod Mayo said. “He’s headed in the right direction. A lot of times, people think it’s this longitudinal just straight line up to the top and realistically, it’s up and down, up and down, up and down. But hopefully you ended up still from left to right going in the right direction. He’s doing well”

Maye’s progression is encouraging, especially with minicamp right around the corner. 
But make no mistake, Brissett still remains the most-polished QB currently on the roster, with Van Pelt stressing once again that the veteran remains at the top of the depth chart. 

“He’s a stud. There’s no question. That’s why he’s here,” Van Pelt said of Brissett. “The person that he is, the leader that he has for his team, and also the player that he is. I think he’s had an exceptional spring. 

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2024, 09:34:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25586
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The 21-year-old QB’s increased reps bode well for his overall progression ahead of mandatory minicamp, with Maye making his best throw of the day off a sidearm toss to DeMario Douglas in the end zone during 7-on-7s.

But 11-on-11 drills presented its fair share of challenges, with Maye knocked for two interceptions by Kyle Dugger and Kaleb Ford-Dement.

“He’s doing well,” Jerod Mayo said. “He’s headed in the right direction. A lot of times, people think it’s this longitudinal just straight line up to the top and realistically, it’s up and down, up and down, up and down. But hopefully you ended up still from left to right going in the right direction. He’s doing well”

Maye’s progression is encouraging, especially with minicamp right around the corner.
But make no mistake, Brissett still remains the most-polished QB currently on the roster, with Van Pelt stressing once again that the veteran remains at the top of the depth chart.

“He’s a stud. There’s no question. That’s why he’s here,” Van Pelt said of Brissett. “The person that he is, the leader that he has for his team, and also the player that he is. I think he’s had an exceptional spring.

Funny enough, Caleb Williams got the exact same assessment:  strong in 7-on-7, struggled against the first team defense.  That seems to make perfect sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2024, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 328
The Pats have a top 10 defense. Maye might be the least experienced rookie QB with expectations. I’d probably be nervous if he was dominating this early.

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2024, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 167
The Pats have a top 10 defense. Maye might be the least experienced rookie QB with expectations. I’d probably be nervous if he was dominating this early.

This is why, I sit May and let him learn.  Jacoby should be fine with a top 10 D and the playmakers on Offense that they have and added.  He threw for 3100 yds, 13 TDs and 7 Ints in Indy his first year.  Imagine the unthinkable happens and somehow, he leads us to a title behind a top 10 D.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2024, 12:34:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

This is why, I sit May and let him learn.  Jacoby should be fine with a top 10 D and the playmakers on Offense that they have and added.  He threw for 3100 yds, 13 TDs and 7 Ints in Indy his first year.  Imagine the unthinkable happens and somehow, he leads us to a title behind a top 10 D.

What playmakers have they added on offense?

« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2024, 12:40:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562

Funny enough, Caleb Williams got the exact same assessment:  strong in 7-on-7, struggled against the first team defense.  That seems to make perfect sense.
I don't think you should expect or really want your rookie QB looking good against your 1st team defense this early on.     

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2024, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be

Gibson, Osborn, Hooper, Polk, Baker.  Bourne should be back after missing half of last season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2024, 12:50:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

Gibson, Osborn, Hooper, Polk, Baker.  Bourne should be back after missing half of last season.

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d call any of those guys playmakers at this point. Hopefully Polk and/or Baker turn into one, but they haven’t played a pro game yet.

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2024, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I’m not sure I’d call any of those guys playmakers at this point. Hopefully Polk and/or Baker turn into one, but they haven’t played a pro game yet.

They're skilled position players with the capabilities to make plays to help the offense. 

Offense will be improved this season.  I'm not saying '07 Pats level or any craziness but there will be improvement.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2024, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1565

They're skilled position players with the capabilities to make plays to help the offense. 

Offense will be improved this season.  I'm not saying '07 Pats level or any craziness but there will be improvement.
Since it was one of the worst offenses in recent history it isn't hard to improve, but they still have one of the worst offenses in the league. And they do not have play makers anywhere on offense unless Maye has a Stroud like rookie year.

And Brissett isn't good.  He has never had a winning season, throws a lot of INT's, doesn't have a big arm, etc.  He isn't a guy that should be starting over the 3rd pick in the draft on what is otherwise going to be a bad team. Put Maye out there and let him get his 1st year blips out of the way.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2024, 02:39:41 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2519
The Ravens have 3 days off for a game and that is after a short week the game before.  That seems like an issue.  They are at the Giants on December 15, then host the Steelers December 21, and then play at Houston on December 25.  They then don't play the Browns until January 5 and before that stretch have their bye and 2 weeks off.   The Texans are at KC on December 21 (and host Miami on December 15) before the Christmas game so the Ravens aren't at a disadvantage to the Texans, but those Wednesday Christmas games seem problematic.  Seems like a good way for teams to get injured with so little time off.

Adding a second bye week would fix a lot of these issues AND give the league another week's worth of televised games AND get guys some extra rest.

« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2024, 03:39:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3077
  • On To Banner 18!
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. Our O-Line absolutely blows. Even in yesterday's reporting, apparently the offense was looking good early on but then once they bought the O-Line on to the field and simulated things with them, it went haywire for everyone.

I get that not every team's O-Line is elite, but there also aren't many which are as putrid and injury-prone as New England's. We legit don't even have a LT and our guard position is a little questionable too with injury prone guys (Cole Strange) and some rookies or 2nd year guys they'll have to heavily rely on alongside Andrews, who is also probably close to retirement.

Just not pretty, and not a great way to support a rookie QB in particular, or any young ones really.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller