Author Topic: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman, Jaden Springer)  (Read 27517 times)

Re: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman, Jaden Springer)
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2024, 10:44:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sounds to me like they're taking a flyer on Springer because Banton failed his audition. Like Banton and everyone else at the end of most NBA benches Springer has a couple of decent NBA skills - along with the potential to turn into a role player who can be part of a regular rotation. The fact that some of the more engaged Sixer fans aren't happy is certainly intriguing but I wouldn't get too excited. He won't be playing much unless someone goes down.

« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2024, 10:57:51 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Sounds to me like they're taking a flyer on Springer because Banton failed his audition. Like Banton and everyone else at the end of most NBA benches Springer has a couple of decent NBA skills - along with the potential to turn into a role player who can be part of a regular rotation. The fact that some of the more engaged Sixer fans aren't happy is certainly intriguing but I wouldn't get too excited. He won't be playing much unless someone goes down.

I remember him as the guy who blocked JT at the rim a few games back. I think he’s more of a developmental piece than a rotation guy.

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2024, 12:22:01 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • GOT IT!!!
After watching some highlights, how did Philly just give away this dude for a 2nd rounder?  :o This dude is athletic and plays with confidence. Pritchard might want to watch out because this dude will be looking to take his minutes. Sign me up!

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2024, 02:51:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
It seems Harry Giles has been waived as well. He has a lot of fans here (me included) but i’d rather go for Gallo. Sadly Giles doesn’t look like an NBA player anymore. Maybe he should do the Jabari Parker route.

Gallo doesn't look like an NBA player anymore either. We're all probably thinking peak Gallo. Right now I think a traffic cone would be a better defender than him. For these deep bench pieces you don't need offense, since two of our top six will be with them at any time and we have instant offense off the bench in PP and Sam...we need players who can come in and defend, hustle and do their roles, whether it's 2 mins or 10 mins. Xavier and Springer can do that...Gallo can't anymore. I have a soft spot for him since he was a Cs fan but injuries are cruel.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2024, 05:24:37 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
What should the Celtics’ buyout targets be? I’d like to take a flyer on Killian Hayes. I think he had solid games against us last year and a year before, so maybe much like Brisset etc he’s somewhere on Brad’s list. Memphis was supposedly trying to trade for him, so I guess he could choose them, if they can promise him more minutes? Delon Wright might be a Pritchard insurance. I don’t see any other great options.

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2024, 05:40:21 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
What should the Celtics’ buyout targets be? I’d like to take a flyer on Killian Hayes. I think he had solid games against us last year and a year before, so maybe much like Brisset etc he’s somewhere on Brad’s list. Memphis was supposedly trying to trade for him, so I guess he could choose them, if they can promise him more minutes? Delon Wright might be a Pritchard insurance. I don’t see any other great options.

I think it's pretty shocking that he couldn't even land a couple of second-rounders for Detroit, but that's just based on his draft position as I don't know very much about him.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2024, 06:39:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
The bench is looking good now.

G: Pritchard, JD Davison
G: J Springer, Svi
F: Hauser, Jordan Walsh
F: Horford, Brisset
C: Tillman, Kornet, Queta

The four man core bench of Pritchard, Hauser, Horford and Tillman is one of the stronger benches in the league.

« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2024, 07:32:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
The bench is looking good now.

G: Pritchard, JD Davison
G: J Springer, Svi
F: Hauser, Jordan Walsh
F: Horford, Brisset
C: Tillman, Kornet, Queta

The four man core bench of Pritchard, Hauser, Horford and Tillman is one of the stronger benches in the league.

Don't forget Peterson...we do have a stretch big named Peterson  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2024, 08:14:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I remember him as the guy who blocked JT at the rim a few games back. I think he’s more of a developmental piece than a rotation guy.
I had high hopes for Banton as a 6'9" point guard but Springer looks like the better defender and he's an "energy" guy. Banton had to be disciplined earlier in the season for not putting out. That was his downfall.

« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2024, 08:31:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Excluding the highly protected 2027 Second Round pick we probably won't get from POR, the net of the trade deadline is:

Celtics get:
Tillman
Springer

Celtics give:
Stevens
Banton
Seconds in 2024, 2027, 2030

I wanted to come back to this.  3 seconds is the same that PHI gave up to get Hield.  PHI also gave up  Marcus Morris and Furkan Korkmaz, probably more player value than Stevens and Banton as Morris is an actual useful rotation player with recent playoff contributions.

I guess there is no realistic way the Celtics could have matched salaries for Hield without taking something from our core, but who is better off, who added more, just looking at these two transactions?

I think this is a tough assessment because Morris is treated as a throw in where really, he was as much a part of PHI's core as say Pritchard or Hauser are for the Celtics, maybe more.  Korkmaz had played in 35 games for them as well, not a ton per game, but more than either Stevens or Banton.

« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2024, 08:50:35 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Excluding the highly protected 2027 Second Round pick we probably won't get from POR, the net of the trade deadline is:

Celtics get:
Tillman
Springer

Celtics give:
Stevens
Banton

I wanted to come back to this.  3 seconds is the same that PHI gave up to get Hield.  PHI also gave up  Marcus Morris and Furkan Korkmaz, probably more player value than Stevens and Banton as Morris is an actual useful rotation player with recent playoff contributions.

I guess there is no realistic way the Celtics could have matched salaries for Hield without taking something from our core, but who is better off, who added more, just looking at these two transactions?

I think this is a tough assessment because Morris is treated as a throw in where really, he was as much a part of PHI's core as say Pritchard or Hauser are for the Celtics, maybe more.  Korkmaz had played in 35 games for them as well, not a ton per game, but more than either Stevens or Banton.

It would have been difficult for the C's with Hield's salary (19M?), that said, thrilled with what Brad did.  A backup big man that has playoff experience and can spell Al.  Playoff Al is different than regular Al and if he's rested, watch out!  Then Springer will provide depth at G, specifically as a defensive player when needed.  We gave up Banton and upgraded to Springer. 

Win Win...

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2024, 08:59:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Celtics get:
Tillman
Springer

Celtics give:
Stevens
Banton

It would have been difficult for the C's with Hield's salary (19M?), that said, thrilled with what Brad did.  A backup big man that has playoff experience and can spell Al.  Playoff Al is different than regular Al and if he's rested, watch out!  Then Springer will provide depth at G, specifically as a defensive player when needed.  We gave up Banton and upgraded to Springer. 

Win Win...
Heild is a volume 3-pt shooter and not a great defender. C's highly valued the cohesion and balance of the roster which they retained yet upgraded to 2 players who were not in the rotation.

« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2024, 09:04:52 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Celtics get:
Tillman
Springer

Celtics give:
Stevens
Banton

Except the picks the Sixers gave up were better (or at least the 2024 one was, if you think that 2nd rounders that are very far off are very similar because who knows what will happen).  The Raptors pick is currently 37th, with the Raptors actively tanking with a goal of having a bottom 5 record so they have a good chance of keeping their first rounder.  My guess is it ends up at 36.  Meanwhile, the pick the Celtics traded is currently 41, and with the Bulls trying to win, it’s unlikely to get worse (the now-tanking Jazz are a half-game ahead picking at 42, so the Bulls could get passed by another team and still wind up at 41 as they should pass Utah).

As we saw last year, it’s easy to collect additional picks by dropping back in the second round — one of the picks traded yesterday was acquired by dropping from 36 to 39.  Anyway, all of this is a long way of saying that the Sixers traded away more in draft compensation than we did, because their 2024 second was worth at least two of our picks.

As for who made their team better — I don’t think Buddy Hield plays any more minutes on the Celtics than Xavier Tillman, because Hield doesn’t play defense and is a worse shooter than Sam Hauser and Peyton Pritchard, the two players with whom he’d be battling for minutes.  So the Celtics paid less and got two players, one of whom was at least as useful to them as Buddy Hield.

« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2024, 09:20:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
All good comments, but what I was trying to get at was who improved their team more, the Celtics or the PHI, not would you rather of traded for Hield?  I know the picks aren't exact, but they are close enough that I think you can limit the comparison to the players.

The Celtics gave up two players that were not contributing except for garbage time and got Tillman and Springer.

PHI gave up two players that were both contributing and got back a solid player in Hield, who should help them.  But it is a net gain as they gave up in particular Morris who is still a decent player and was in the regular rotation (Korkmaz not so much).

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2024, 11:11:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
All good comments, but what I was trying to get at was who improved their team more, the Celtics or the PHI, not would you rather of traded for Hield?  I know the picks aren't exact, but they are close enough that I think you can limit the comparison to the players.

The Celtics gave up two players that were not contributing except for garbage time and got Tillman and Springer.

PHI gave up two players that were both contributing and got back a solid player in Hield, who should help them.  But it is a net gain as they gave up in particular Morris who is still a decent player and was in the regular rotation (Korkmaz not so much).
It's only a net gain if Embiid comes back this season and Embiid/Maxey/Hield can make something happen.