Author Topic: Magic (16-7) at Celtics (18-5) Game #24 12/15/23  (Read 14725 times)

Re: Magic (16-7) at Celtics (18-5) Game #24 12/15/23
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2023, 11:20:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Ugggh
First game I missed all year.  Seems like a good one.  Nice to see Pritchard have a big night.  Definitely played some different guys tonight. 

Slick move by Joe getting Stevens minutes last night to prep him a bit for tonight.
Yup

« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2023, 11:45:21 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998
Queta with a solid 18 min and +13.

Too bad he committed 6 fouls in those 18 minutes, because otherwise he’d have gotten a few more.

« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2023, 12:16:20 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Too bad he committed 6 fouls in those 18 minutes, because otherwise he’d have gotten a few more.

The war on Queta has begun.

« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2023, 05:17:09 AM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

Really like what we’ve been seeing from Queta.  He’s a little raw but his effort and energy are awesome.

« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2023, 07:14:15 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
Ugggh
First game I missed all year.  Seems like a good one.  Nice to see Pritchard have a big night.  Definitely played some different guys tonight. 

Slick move by Joe getting Stevens minutes last night to prep him a bit for tonight.

Pritchard and Sam have been so good. Starters getting most of the credit for the wins of course but the energy PP brings every night is impacting the team and influencing games. 

Queta with a couple of nice blocks. Poor Luke though. The love/positivity for Queta v. the disdain/negativity for Luke is a bit ridiculous.  I give Queta the edge for D, boards, energy and potential - he can be a bit clumsy and over-aggressive. But the difference in overall play between Q and L at this moment isn’t proportional to difference in popularity.  Luke is fine for 5mpg and emergency duty.   Obviously he’s not KP/Al replacement if we lose  one or both in the playoffs. Neither is Q.

« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2023, 07:20:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Great win & without Porzingus & Al
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2023, 09:05:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
Great win & without Porzingus & Al

In fact we were without our entire center rotation - KP, Al and Luke, against a team with a lot of bigs in Orlando. These are the type of wins shorthanded that not all fans remember, especially when we start losing some games and people are calling for heads.

Mazzulla was asked about the team's depth concerns after the game and this is what he had to say.

After the game, a reporter started to ask Joe Mazzulla about the team’s depth, which was a question mark coming into the season.

“For you guys,” Mazzulla corrected him. “Not for me. I wasn’t worried.”

Fair enough. The bench has been excellent and was particularly good on Friday, led by Payton Pritchard who poured in 21 points and shot 7-for-10 from the field and 6-for-7 from behind the arc. Pritchard is now one of the Celtics’ best on/off players, and lineups with him outscore opponents by 10.1 points per 100 possessions (in 105 possessions, Pritchard’s most frequent group — which includes Tatum, Holiday, Horford, and Sam Hauser — has outscored opponents by 33.3 points per 100 possessions).

Pritchard wasn’t alone. Hauser shot 3-for-6 from deep, scored 11 points and picked off four steals.

“Payton and Sam being able to find confidence and be able to just continue to excel, we’re going to need that going down the line further,” Jaylen Brown said. “Games like today are big for those guys’ confidence and we got to continue to emphasize when we can and play through Sam, play through Payton when they’re playing well. I think that’s going to be more important to the long-term than playing through me right now or playing through JT.”

And he said he trusts the guys that have to step in if needed.

Meanwhile, Neemias Queta swatted away three shots and scored six points, and Oshae Brissett shot 4-for-4 from the field and scored 11 points. Mazzulla praised Brissett in particular for his professionalism and said the two speak almost daily.

“He’s been in this league. He’s played on good teams. He’s been coached,” Mazzulla said. “Like, he’s just a professional. So it goes back to just the work that he puts in every day. I have no hesitation going with any of those guys on any day because I see what they do daily.

“You almost want opportunities like this to affirm their work ethic and their professionalism.”

Brissett said it felt “great, oh my God” to play extended minutes.

“I strongly believe our second unit is better than a lot of teams’ first unit, and I can say that confidently,” he said.

While concerns about our bench are definitely understandable, we also have to remember that our top six is basically All-Star level, and most teams don't have that level of depth in their starting unit, let alone their top 6. So even if someone like Lamar has to come in and start he has high quality players next to him.

The Celtics are now 13-0 at TD Garden and 19-5 for the season. This is impressive basketball and a good reminder that the Celtics are a monstrous roster if they stay healthy, but still really good even if key members of their rotation miss a game or two. Sure, playing without Kristaps Porzingis, Al Horford and Luke Kornet could be a problem … but Lamar Stevens is still a competent NBA player, and just about any competent NBA player would be in a position to succeed next to Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and Jrue Holiday.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/12/16/celtics-crush-magic-back-to-back-10-takeaways/?p1=hp_primary

We definitely want them all healthy, and yes having another rotation big/wing/ballhander (depending on who you ask) would be nice but I think this is as solid a team as we've had in years. There's definitely going to be nights where they muff their lines but I think they all know their roles, there's no disharmony.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #262 on: December 16, 2023, 10:09:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Celtics getting blown out tonight without their core playing.

Take the money on Orlando.

Thanks Sparz, with your advice I lost the house

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2023, 10:24:42 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 293
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

What you should do now is get a big loan (like $1.5-2M?), perhaps some Italians would oblige you and bet it all on the Celtics on Sunday and if they win you can get your house back and repay the loan.

« Reply #264 on: December 16, 2023, 10:51:45 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Ugggh

Pritchard and Sam have been so good. Starters getting most of the credit for the wins of course but the energy PP brings every night is impacting the team and influencing games. 

Queta with a couple of nice blocks. Poor Luke though. The love/positivity for Queta v. the disdain/negativity for Luke is a bit ridiculous.  I give Queta the edge for D, boards, energy and potential - he can be a bit clumsy and over-aggressive. But the difference in overall play between Q and L at this moment isn’t proportional to difference in popularity.  Luke is fine for 5mpg and emergency duty.   Obviously he’s not KP/Al replacement if we lose  one or both in the playoffs. Neither is Q.
Queta is an active big who can block shots and rebound. But you can't run any offensive actions with him, the way you can with Luke. Luke alows them to do more offensively, and plays good D. If he didn't Queta would be getting all his minutes.  To all the haters, Luke will stay in the league into his 30's. Queta will need to improve his offensive game to do that. My guess is he won't.

« Reply #265 on: December 16, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Ugggh

Queta is an active big who can block shots and rebound. But you can't run any offensive actions with him, the way you can with Luke. Luke alows them to do more offensively, and plays good D. If he didn't Queta would be getting all his minutes.  To all the haters, Luke will stay in the league into his 30's. Queta will need to improve his offensive game to do that. My guess is he won't.
Um, no. He gets beaten badly even by smaller players because he is rather unathletic. He also has stone hands. Sorry, but I do not see Kornet as having the abilities required to be an NBA-level player.

« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2023, 11:01:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419

Good one Sparz  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #267 on: December 16, 2023, 11:05:50 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
On the game - I attended. A couple of observations - Very good game for the home side but keep it in context - Orlando was a no show defensively all night. So while it was great that the C's put up a ton of points and all the bench guys played great, there wasn't a lot of resistance by the other side.

One of the writers who follows the team tweeted that it was one of their worst defensive games all season.

That said, I'm a fan of Stevens and Brissett. Both of them are high energy guys who defend and rebound well at both ends. Joe should be using them more because their skills can compliment the other talent on the floor and both can help you win games. Both played very well last night.

One thing I noticed that maybe you couldn't see on TV. The assistant coaches were up and on them for virtually every defensive possession. They did not let up and the result was, I thought, their team defense was excellent all night. Cassell in particular seemed to be directing things but you could tell that defense was a point of emphasis.

I have to say that so far, I don't have many issues with the coaching other than what I pointed out. They're figuring out too how best to take advantage of Jaylen's skill set. He was an absolute beast at times last night. It seemed like every time he got a smaller guy on him, he abused the guy.

4 in a row on this home stand vs the opponents they've faced and with the games packed into a tight schedule - that's a great performance.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 11:11:35 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2023, 11:08:15 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!

What you should do now is get a big loan (like $1.5-2M?), perhaps some Italians would oblige you and bet it all on the Celtics on Sunday and if they win you can get your house back and repay the loan.

I know just who to call!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525
On the game - I attended. A couple of observations - Very good game for the home side but keep it in context - Orlando was a no show defensively all night. So while it was great that the C's put up a ton of points and all the bench guys played great, there wasn't a lot of resistance by the other side.

One of the writers who follows the team tweeted that it was one of their worst defensive games all season.

That said, I'm a fan of Stevens and Brissett. Both of them are high energy guys who defend and rebound well at both ends. Joe should be using them more because their skills can compliment the other talent on the floor and both can help you win games. Both played very well last night.

One thing I noticed that maybe you couldn't see on TV. The assistant coaches were up and on them for virtually every defensive possession. They did not let up and the result was, I thought, their team defense was excellent all night. Cassell in particular seemed to be directing things but you could tell that defense was a point of emphasis.

I have to say that so far, I don't have many issues with the coaching other than what I pointed out. They're figuring out too how best to take advantage of Jaylen's skill set. He was an absolute beast at times last night. It seemed like every time he got a smaller guy on him, he abused the guy.

4 in a row on this home stand vs the opponents they've faced and with the games packed into a tight schedule - that's a great performance.

A lot of interesting comments from your attendance at the game.  Great insights.  TP!