Author Topic: In season Courts unsafe.  (Read 2785 times)

In season Courts unsafe.
« on: November 18, 2023, 07:37:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 08:03:59 AM by liam »

Re: In season Courts unsafe.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I dont understand how in the year 2023 there isnt some sort of uniformity protocol whatever you techincally call it that the floors all use the same coating material in same application methods and must meet some something techincal something.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 08:35:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
I dont understand how in the year 2023 there isnt some sort of uniformity protocol whatever you techincally call it that the floors all use the same coating material in same application methods and must meet some something techincal something.

Pretty sure there is...

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 08:58:12 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 493

Pretty sure there is...

Just read an article on mass live that states this is a league wide problem and that the courts were decided on in the summer and rushed through production to meet the deadline.  Not a good look from the NBA.  Putting money over player safety.  JB definitely not happy.  Especially after getting injured last night.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/11/nba-needs-to-fix-tournament-mistake-after-jaylen-brown-injury-robb.html

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 09:09:36 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
The biggest asset for the NBA is the players. They need to protect the players. It should never be money over safety. The courts are also god awfully ugly and hard to watch. It looks like some bush league designer who's never watched basketball designed these.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 381
The courts look disgusting too. That Milwaukee blue court is horrible. Or the Chicago red one.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 09:21:41 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
I think it was the Dallas court that was made so poorly they couldn’t use it for the first in-season tournament game.  They need to scrap them.  Cute idea, but clearly too much moisture is getting trapped underneath.  They still have time to make sure it works for the semis and final and Vegas, but we shouldn’t see the special courts again until then.  (We will, but we shouldn’t).

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 10:23:23 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
The Celtics should sue them for providing an unsafe environment if it is found that Jaylen's groin injury was due to the substandard court surface.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
This tournament thing is so corny anyhow, just like Thursday night football..should do away with both
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 10:35:01 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
The Celtics should sue them for providing an unsafe environment if it is found that Jaylen's groin injury was due to the substandard court surface.

I think that would be a waste of time, and open the Celtics up to a suit the next time the Bruins ice under the court causes too much moisture during a C’s game.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 10:52:11 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324
This tournament thing is so corny anyhow, just like Thursday night football..should do away with both

Completely disagree. I like a little added competition. Both teams played like they wanted that win last night. The NBA needed a little boost for November/December.

Re: the courts- I'm not sure if we are in a position to blame injuries on the floor. What about the hundred other ways to blame an injury? Sounds sorta weak to me.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 12:39:23 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
The biggest asset for the NBA is the players. They need to protect the players. It should never be money over safety. The courts are also god awfully ugly and hard to watch. It looks like some bush league designer who's never watched basketball designed these.
100% agree with this.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 01:01:44 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
These courts are crappy and ugly, go back to the regular floors for the rest of the season, don't get guys injured...But, and extra $500,000 for someone at the end of the bench is a good idea.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

What with the Scotiabank Arena floor?
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2023, 01:02:30 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Early in the game I saw a Toronto player slip on the floor while he was in the paint. It was a totally unusual slide. It was like he was sliding on ice. Then, it happened again outside lane.

I thought to myself, this is a dangerous floor to play on and that this condition could very easily lead to a serious injury.

If I were the Celtic's coach or GM I'd make it a priority to contact the head honchos in the NBA about his potentially dangerous situation. (I'd be even more concerned if I were part of the Raptor's management.)

At the end of the game I noticed Jaylen Brown slipped and left the floor with a few seconds remaining in the game. It looked like he sustained a minor groin pull.

There is no doubt in my mind that something was/is seriously wrong with conditions of this floor. 

I don't know if it's the material (paint?) they are applying over the flooring in these tournament games or there was ice beneath the flooring. Whatever the issue, the floor was slippery.

Anyone know or hear about why the floor was so slippery at the Arena last night? 

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
Jaylen Brown spoke out against a court he felt was too slippery on Friday night, becoming the latest NBA player to call out sleek-looking and perhaps just sleek playing surfaces.

During the Celtics’ 108-105 win in Toronto, on the debut, new-look court of Scotiabank Arena, Brown slipped twice in the game’s final minute.

The second slip, on which Brown was trying to get open during an in-bounds play, might have caused an injury.

“I slipped. I might have strained my groin a little bit,” Brown told reporters in Toronto. “We’ll see how it feels. The court was just slippery all game. As players, we’re all here for the In-Season Tournament because it’s going to generate revenue, excitement, competition, etc. But we’ve got to make sure the floor is safe to play on. We can’t put our players out there and risk their health.

“Tonight, I thought the floor was kind of unacceptable,” added Brown, who is a vice president of the players’ union. “Guys were slipping all over the place, not just me.”

Raptors forward Precious Achiuwa, too, told reporters “it was slippery” and he “felt myself slip a few times.”

“I just want to play basketball,” Achiuwa said. “But at the same time, I’m not trying to get hurt.”

On the NBC Sports Boston broadcast, former NBA player Brian Scalabrine noticed that there were more slips than usual.

“I like the way this court looks, but there’s been about 10 times that guys are slipping all over the place,” Scalabrine said. “… If they’re going to do these floors, you’ve got to make sure you’re taking care of the guys.” -NY Post
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.