Author Topic: Lots of FAs without a team  (Read 4174 times)

Lots of FAs without a team
« on: October 29, 2023, 08:10:12 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 435
Lots of Free Agents still out there, some surprises they don’t have a team, just interesting thou

John Wall
Justice Winslow
Blake Griffin
Nerlens Noel
Kemba Walker
T J Warren
Will Barton
Rudy Gay
Bismack Biyombo
Willie Cauley Stein
Tony Bradley
Derrick Favors
Terrence Davis
Taj Gibson
H. Diallo
Austin Rivers
JaMychal Green
Javonte Green
Hassan Whiteside
Khem Birch
Dewayne Dedmon
Goran Dragic
Darius Bazley
Serge Ibaka
Stanley Johnson
Frank Kaminsky
Kevin Knox
Meyers Leonard
Jeremy Lamb
Kendrick Nunn
James Johnson
Isaiah Roby
Jeremiah Robinson Earl
Terrence Ross
Kevin Porter jr

Just interesting that so many names still are FA..anyone interest you?

C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Lots of FAs without a team
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 08:18:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223
nope...

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 09:25:51 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Kemba Walker has a team in Monaco.  Seems like a nice way for a very rich former NBA-er to ease into retirement.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Don't know if any of those guys would be worth the $2m vet min plus $6m in tax since we're at least $15m over the luxury tax. For someone who would be at the end of the bench. That's assuming they will take a one year vet min.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 435
Only couple big men, Meyer Leonard & Dewayne Dedmon, seem to be better than Kornet
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:09:57 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Only couple big men, Meyer Leonard & Dewayne Dedmon, seem to be better than Kornet

Is it really worth it to bring in a FA who at best is only a little better than Kornet (and at worst may not fit in, may not be happy, and not any better than Kornet)?  I tried to break this down in another thread but if you bring in say Leonard and he ends up being a little better than Kornet, say about as good as Muscala was last season, how does that help?  It isn't a cost issue as you would waive Kornet.

In order for a player to come in and actually help, they are going to need to be an upgrade over Brissett or Hauser, break into that top 9 rotation, or I don't think they are going to play even in the regular season, much less in any playoff or other meaningful games.  Upgrading the 12th or 13th player with a slightly better 12th or 13th player isn't going to make any difference.  It will be like Muscala replacing Vonleh.  I actually had higher hopes for Muscala, I thought he would crack that top 9 or so rotation, but he didn't and no one on that list will either.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:13:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Grizzlies are signing Biyombo.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

Is it really worth it to bring in a FA who at best is only a little better than Kornet (and at worst may not fit in, may not be happy, and not any better than Kornet)?  I tried to break this down in another thread but if you bring in say Leonard and he ends up being a little better than Kornet, say about as good as Muscala was last season, how does that help?  It isn't a cost issue as you would waive Kornet.

In order for a player to come in and actually help, they are going to need to be an upgrade over Brissett or Hauser, break into that top 9 rotation, or I don't think they are going to play even in the regular season, much less in any playoff or other meaningful games.  Upgrading the 12th or 13th player with a slightly better 12th or 13th player isn't going to make any difference.  It will be like Muscala replacing Vonleh.  I actually had higher hopes for Muscala, I thought he would crack that top 9 or so rotation, but he didn't and no one on that list will either.
the reason you bring in someone like that is much more about the inevitable times when Horford and/or Porzingis are out. I'd feel much better about Dedmon or Leonard starting than I would about Kornet starting. I'd keep Kornet as we have an open spot
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 12:01:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215

the reason you bring in someone like that is much more about the inevitable times when Horford and/or Porzingis are out. I'd feel much better about Dedmon or Leonard starting than I would about Kornet starting. I'd keep Kornet as we have an open spot

I'd feel equally uncomfortable with any of them (or, close enough to equally uncomfortable that it doesn't really make a difference). None of those guys is a legit second stringer, so why even bother bringing any of them in? I'd rather see a younger big with potential (like Queta, or Roby/Robinson Earl if we sign someone) get those minutes than an older marginal upgrade.

Ideally we'd trade for someone that can be a legit backup, but who knows if that will even be an option. But if not, either trade for salary that can be packaged closer to the trade deadline or get a young guy with potential. An older player whose upside is being a marginal upgrade over Kornet would be a complete waste.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 01:35:08 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Does Serge Ibaka still have anything left in the tank? JaMychal Green?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 04:49:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
Does Serge Ibaka still have anything left in the tank? JaMychal Green?

No

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 05:30:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
The way this team is set up, the best path to strengthening the bench is trying to find a G League guy who's ready to make the leap. Most of these guys are who they are - or in Ibaka's case, are a shell of their former selves.

We've got a roster full of players who we hope can make a leap - from Hauser on down to the 15th guy. Kornet probably is what he is at this point. But if he gets along with everyone, can run the offense and not be out of position on defense - I doubt you're going to find an upgrade on that skill set for what we can spend right now.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 07:34:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
How does Terrence Davis not have a job?

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 09:36:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

I'd feel equally uncomfortable with any of them (or, close enough to equally uncomfortable that it doesn't really make a difference). None of those guys is a legit second stringer, so why even bother bringing any of them in? I'd rather see a younger big with potential (like Queta, or Roby/Robinson Earl if we sign someone) get those minutes than an older marginal upgrade.

Ideally we'd trade for someone that can be a legit backup, but who knows if that will even be an option. But if not, either trade for salary that can be packaged closer to the trade deadline or get a young guy with potential. An older player whose upside is being a marginal upgrade over Kornet would be a complete waste.
Well yeah they aren't good, but a guy like Dedmon has been in the league for years, starting, coming off the bench, etc. He has solid range and is an excellent rebounder.  Now maybe he is done physically, but I'd absolutely feel better about Dedmon starting than Kornet.  That is what it boils down to for me. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 09:42:31 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
How does Terrence Davis not have a job?

Same thought. I like him as a SG off the bench. Can play a little D.