Author Topic: Waivers, anyone you would like to sign?  (Read 10926 times)

Waivers, anyone you would like to sign?
« on: October 21, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
With one of the players the Celtics have waived being Wenyen Gabriel we're down a big.  I saw the Bulls have released Derrick Favors.  He's a veteran type player I could see the Celtics going after.  Personally I'd like them to bring back Blake Griffin if he wants to play another season and Favors while letting get Kornet.  We also have JD Davison on a two-way contract.  I really would like to see this kid on the main roster but the two-way at least keeps him with us.  The other player I want the Celtics to sign is Darius Bazley, who just get released from the Nets.  He'd be a great two-way contract I think to sign since he's got huge upside

This signing I'd like to take a chance on I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Kevin Porter Jr. yes, he's coming with a lot of badge but maybe he needs a complete change of scenery and to have player mentors that can guide him.  Players like Holiday, Horford, Griffin if he returns.  If we could sign him to a protected type contract for the Celtics for cheap and length, I'm interested because the talent. 

Re: Waivers, anyone you would like to sign?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 05:02:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Zero interest in Kevin Porter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 05:09:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216
Zero interest in Kevin Porter.

Agreed, stay away. I would've be interested in Roby but the Knicks signed him back, but I don't really see anyone I'd be excited about. I'd take Blake back and have him play Al's role when he sits out B2Bs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 05:10:11 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 503
I doubt the Cs carry a 15th player.  The tax savings is pretty large to have for a player who won't play.  It's the same reason Q is staying on his 2 way.  It doesn't count towards the cap.  I'd rather the Cs save that money to spend it later at the trade deadline.  The only move I see is signing a 2 way player to replace scrubb.  I feel for the kid but hopefully they can buy him out, let him rehab with the team and tryout next year.  The 3rd 2 way spot can go to someone who will contribute this year.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 05:14:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216
I doubt the Cs carry a 15th player.  The tax savings is pretty large to have for a player who won't play.  It's the same reason Q is staying on his 2 way.  It doesn't count towards the cap.  I'd rather the Cs save that money to spend it later at the trade deadline.  The only move I see is signing a 2 way player to replace scrubb.  I feel for the kid but hopefully they can buy him out, let him rehab with the team and tryout next year.  The 3rd 2 way spot can go to someone who will contribute this year.

Speaking of Scrubb, does anyone know more about his situation? Like if we buy him out does he still gain a year of service, of would he be eligible for a 2 way next year? He already qualifies for the NBPA health insurance since he has 3 years of service, so the extra year of service might hurt him more than it helped him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 08:01:47 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Knox waived by the Blazers today, talk about a total bust

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 05:23:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
With one of the players the Celtics have waived being Wenyen Gabriel we're down a big.  I saw the Bulls have released Derrick Favors.  He's a veteran type player I could see the Celtics going after.  Personally I'd like them to bring back Blake Griffin if he wants to play another season and Favors while letting get Kornet.  We also have JD Davison on a two-way contract.  I really would like to see this kid on the main roster but the two-way at least keeps him with us.  The other player I want the Celtics to sign is Darius Bazley, who just get released from the Nets.  He'd be a great two-way contract I think to sign since he's got huge upside

This signing I'd like to take a chance on I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Kevin Porter Jr. yes, he's coming with a lot of badge but maybe he needs a complete change of scenery and to have player mentors that can guide him.  Players like Holiday, Horford, Griffin if he returns.  If we could sign him to a protected type contract for the Celtics for cheap and length, I'm interested because the talent.

Favors is only 32, but he has looked washed up for years. I, too, like the idea of Blake Griffin; I thought he gave us some good minutes last year and could be effective in a similar role this year. I’d also love to see the future Hall of Famer win a title with the Celtics.

Kevin Porter Jr. is intriguing. I thought Houston dumping him was actually a blessing in disguise because he’s just not the guy you want taking 15 shots a game and playing a crucial role. However, a humbled player looking for a second chance, seeking to keep his nose clean, repent of his horrible behavior, and be led by a good group of veterans who set a great example? I would be intrigued by that.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 06:21:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Favors is only 32, but he has looked washed up for years. I, too, like the idea of Blake Griffin; I thought he gave us some good minutes last year and could be effective in a similar role this year. I’d also love to see the future Hall of Famer win a title with the Celtics.

Kevin Porter Jr. is intriguing. I thought Houston dumping him was actually a blessing in disguise because he’s just not the guy you want taking 15 shots a game and playing a crucial role. However, a humbled player looking for a second chance, seeking to keep his nose clean, repent of his horrible behavior, and be led by a good group of veterans who set a great example? I would be intrigued by that.

Porter is looking for like a 4th chance.  He's had problems at USC, Cleveland and Houston.  He has yet to be humbled, nor has he repented.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 08:06:41 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
Favors must have fallen off a cliff. Seem like he would be good but maybe he just isn’t. And no Porter. There is just no need or reason. 

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 08:25:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
IF Porter did all this, he should be in jail, not NBA.. anyway, I wouldn’t want his toxic past on this team, no matter how good he is
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 09:02:36 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
IF Porter did all this, he should be in jail, not NBA.. anyway, I wouldn’t want his toxic past on this team, no matter how good he is

The more serious charges have already been dropped. And the victim has now spoke in his favor

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 06:16:18 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419

The more serious charges have already been dropped. And the victim has now spoke in his favor

Whether he's innocent of what he's been accused of, I think his previous history speaks to a character that might be disruptive to the team, over and above what value he might bring on the court. I'd be more inclined to look at a big - Nerlens Noel is a free agent, as is Willy Hernangomez. The question is, is either worth paying $12m in their salary plus tax and would either be better in their role than Kornet is?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 06:23:26 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233

Whether he's innocent of what he's been accused of, I think his previous history speaks to a character that might be disruptive to the team, over and above what value he might bring on the court. I'd be more inclined to look at a big - Nerlens Noel is a free agent, as is Willy Hernangomez. The question is, is either worth paying $12m in their salary plus tax and would either be better in their role than Kornet is?

"Willy Hernangomez has signed a three-year deal with FC Barcelona until June 30, 2026"

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 10:37:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I doubt the Cs carry a 15th player.  The tax savings is pretty large to have for a player who won't play. It's the same reason Q is staying on his 2 way.  It doesn't count towards the cap.  I'd rather the Cs save that money to spend it later at the trade deadline.  The only move I see is signing a 2 way player to replace scrubb.  I feel for the kid but hopefully they can buy him out, let him rehab with the team and tryout next year.  The 3rd 2 way spot can go to someone who will contribute this year.
This. End of discussion.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 10:44:56 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
I doubt the Cs carry a 15th player.  The tax savings is pretty large to have for a player who won't play. It's the same reason Q is staying on his 2 way.  It doesn't count towards the cap.  I'd rather the Cs save that money to spend it later at the trade deadline.  The only move I see is signing a 2 way player to replace scrubb.  I feel for the kid but hopefully they can buy him out, let him rehab with the team and tryout next year.  The 3rd 2 way spot can go to someone who will contribute this year.
This. End of discussion.

Easy to push them to splurge when it’s not out money though  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D