Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 592305 times)

RodyTur10, blink and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #7845 on: May 11, 2024, 07:18:32 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
Really hard to sweep

…really hard to sweep Denver.
Shouldn’t be really hard to sweep Cleveland. 2 different classes of teams. Pretty sure Denver or minny sweeps Cleveland easily.

« Reply #7846 on: May 11, 2024, 07:37:27 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 377
Really hard to sweep

Shouldn’t be really hard to sweep Cleveland. 2 different classes of teams. Pretty sure Denver or minny sweeps Cleveland easily.

Minnesota still got blown out and embarrassed on their home floor. why excuse it?

« Reply #7847 on: May 11, 2024, 08:17:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
Funny how people say Ant Edwards is "mature beyond his years" for his comments last night, whereas if it were Tatum he'd get absolutely shredded  ::)

I don't even want to entertain the arguments. Even if MIN goes on to blow this whole series, people will still love and defend Ant in the national media. There's a pretty clear double standard and additional hate for Tatum compared to the other stars in the league.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7848 on: May 11, 2024, 08:22:17 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Hard to see the Nuggets win another game this season. Wolves are simply too physical. It'll wear out both Jokic and Murray in the 2nd half. I'm gonna say the Nuggets played a cupcake schedule last postseason who had injuries and (gentlemen) sweeping teams left and right to win the Finals.

Thanks Sparz, I lost the house last night  :P :laugh:

« Reply #7849 on: May 11, 2024, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
Really hard to sweep

Minnesota still got blown out and embarrassed on their home floor. why excuse it?

Why are we grasping at straws trying to justify what the Celtics are doing by other teams losing?
Dude the wolves  dominated there first 6 playoff games and are playing the defending champions with a 3 time mvp….it’s completely different then losing at home to a wretched cavaliers team

« Reply #7850 on: May 11, 2024, 08:24:54 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
Funny how people say Ant Edwards is "mature beyond his years" for his comments last night, whereas if it were Tatum he'd get absolutely shredded  ::)

I don't even want to entertain the arguments. Even if MIN goes on to blow this whole series, people will still love and defend Ant in the national media. There's a pretty clear double standard and additional hate for Tatum compared to the other stars in the league.

It’s wild how things have turned on Tatum…he very well may be the most hated widely viewed as “overrated” player in the entire nba. I’m hoping he proves everyone wrong but I’m starting to worry frankly.

« Reply #7851 on: May 11, 2024, 08:36:54 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

It’s wild how things have turned on Tatum…he very well may be the most hated widely viewed as “overrated” player in the entire nba. I’m hoping he proves everyone wrong but I’m starting to worry frankly.

It might be the same for Ant in a few years if he doesn't win it either. Btw, Doncic has been amazing this postseason but even going in he was getting a lot of criticism/hate for being "overrated", and I'll admit I was part of that too but so were many on this board because he was a liability on defense. So far he's actually also been solid on that end.

« Reply #7852 on: May 11, 2024, 08:38:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427

It might be the same for Ant in a few years if he doesn't win it either. Btw, Doncic has been amazing this postseason but even going in he was getting a lot of criticism/hate for being "overrated", and I'll admit I was part of that too but so were many on this board because he was a liability on defense. So far he's actually also been solid on that end.

I was surprised how much criticism Doncic was getting for his lack of playoff success. He has only just turned 25. It is not like he has been blessed with great teams.

He seems to get targetted more for criticism than other players.

« Reply #7853 on: May 11, 2024, 08:39:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

I was surprised how much criticism Doncic was getting for his lack of playoff success. He has only just turned 25. It is not like he has been blessed with great teams.

Yeah. Tatum's also only 26. Even guys like Lebron got hate before he finally got over the hump with Miami. I get that it's part of things whether fair or not, but Tatum has been getting crushed over the past year even more than usual. It's insane.

« Reply #7854 on: May 11, 2024, 08:43:48 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Luka having some Tatum-esque shooting numbers this postseason.

Tatum = 40.7% FG% 26.8% 3PT% 81.7% FT%
Doncic = 40.9% FG% 26.5% 3PT% 79.7% FT%

Luka has been taking 24 FGAs to Tatum's 16 FGAs while getting less FTAs at 7.4 FTAs for Luka to 8.6 for Tatum. So Tatum has been more efficient in his scoring overall with a TS% of 54.5% to Luka's 51.8%.

Neither guy lighting it up from a shooting standpoint thus far. Both guys need to step it up.

« Reply #7855 on: May 11, 2024, 09:14:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 981
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good. If Cs can get past Cleveland I’d rather play the Pacers. Good series now.
Agreed, especially if the Indy series with NY goes 6-7 games. That would be ideal.

« Reply #7856 on: May 11, 2024, 10:22:47 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
Being an NBA coach has to be a sweet gig. Make big bucks, and even if you do terrible you are let go early on but still usually get paid the rest of the contract in the duration. Vogel was let go after just 1 year of his 5-year deal, but will still make the full 31M. Bud signed for 5/50M.

Popovich and Spo feel like the only ones truly "worth it", but otherwise you still make a good amount even if you blow and are sent packing ASAP

« Reply #7857 on: May 11, 2024, 10:54:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2731
The Twolves are up 2-1 with the next game at home, but after last night I feel they are in trouble in this series. Denver was fully focused throughout and looked like the team that dominated the finals last year.

« Reply #7858 on: May 11, 2024, 10:58:26 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 716
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Denver T Wolves going 7.

« Reply #7859 on: May 11, 2024, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2512

Yeah. Tatum's also only 26. Even guys like Lebron got hate before he finally got over the hump with Miami. I get that it's part of things whether fair or not, but Tatum has been getting crushed over the past year even more than usual. It's insane.

Tatum played in 94 playoff games before the age of 26, which is 3rd in NBA history The only guys ahead of him are Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker. Both those guys played with all-time great big men and didn't need to lead their teams early on.

It's an awful number of games without a championship. He has been close many times. There was the choke against a vulnerable Cleveland team in gsme 7 in the Garden.  That could be explained away as inexperience. Then there was the Kyrie year, then the meltdown in the bubble against the Raptors and Heat.

The team is ravaged by injuries in 2021 but makes the Finals in 2022. That year was a magical run. But wear and tear built up over a couple grueling roubds against Milwaukee and Miami in series in which there were opportunities to put it away earlier and get guys rest.

A better-rested, veteran Warriors team psychologically bested the Celtics in 6 games. The Celtics were tantalizingly close to taking a 3-1 lead in game 4 but stumbled down the stretch and never recovered.

Then last year the C's fiddled around with Atlanta and Philly before collapsing spectacularly against Miami.

If Jayson Tatum mixes in a few average games into these failures he has a minimum of one banner.

His situation is pretty unique. A young guy who leads his team past the second round in 4 of his first 6 seasons but doesn't seal the deal in certain key games. If he didn't have so much success he wouldn't be under this microscope. Nobody bashed Curry before the Warriors' first title because they weren't expected to win.

And as I've said before I think the expectations are fueling the anxiety of this team. Tatum needs to shut out the noise and play his game like a killer. He needs to put that chip on his shoulder and play with nothing to lose, like Anthony Edwards did in those first 2 games against Denver. Or like the Heat do against us.

He doesn't need to be Michael Jordan. If he is just "average Tatum" that is likely enough.