Author Topic: C's trade w/Wizard and Blazers  (Read 1187 times)

C's trade w/Wizard and Blazers
« on: June 17, 2023, 09:57:48 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't know the cap or how impossible this is with Jaylen's contract situation.
Works in trade checker (which I know means nothing logistically at times).

I have a problem with current Celtics and have it for a while.  One of the best players has to be better at clutch time with either facilitation or general leadership.  It's okay to wait for the growth, but It think it'll be some years if we go that rout.  4 years?  More?  Not sure.  But this trade bumps us up in facilitation and hopefully in leadership too, down the road a short ways.

It's a Blazers trying to win now trade:

Blazers get: Brown and Brogdon, Muscala and Anthony Gill, and a C's 2024 first round pick

Wizards get:  Anfernee Simons, Nurkic, Gallinari, Keon Johnson and pick 35 from C's

C's get:  Beal, Scoot Henderson (if he's picked at 3, Miller doable too I guess), Gafford and Nassier Little

caveats:

1. I don't know the current state of Nurkic, how good or healthy he is. 
2. I don't know how A. Simons is viewed going potential wise...poor man's Beal?

Portland can shore up their bigs situation with their pick 23 in this year's first round.

C's roster:

Scoot H., D. White, Pritchard, Davison
Beal, Smart
Tatum, Smart, Little, Hauser
Horford, Tatum,  Grant (re-signed), Hauser
R. Williams, Gafford

I guess I'd do the trade if pick 3 turns out to be Brandon Miller as well. 

Smart
Beal
Miller (when ready)
Tatum
R. Will

Beal's experience will be useful...while allowing us to groom a young probably future star.

Re: C's trade w/Wizard and Blazers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 05:42:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Financially it does work. It's an interesting proposal.

So, Boston gives up Brown, Brogdon, Gallinari, Muscala, #35 and a future 1st. Turning that into Beal, Scoot, Gafford & Little is pretty acceptable for my mind. Our team rolls out next season as below. Re-sign Grant in this scenario with no Gallo and Muscala.

I'm a big fan of Gafford. He does similar things to Rob. Less dynamic, but more durable. Little is a solid enough athletic bench wing, capable of defence and adequate shooting.

Beal is an obvious known quantity. He's a better shooter and passer than Brown, worse rebounder and defender. I think working next to Tatum would do a lot of good for Beal, it's been years since he was the secondary focus of the opposing defence.

Henderson would be an obvious big prize. I think Beal will be capable of being a 20/5 guy for a few more seasons, and having that alongside Henderson as he comes into his own would be great. I could see Scoot being a Derrick Rose-level All-NBA guard, as many others do.

Smart / Henderson
Beal / White
Tatum / Little / Hauser
Horford / G Williams
R Williams / Gafford

It's an interesting team. A bit less immediately strong next season, but I think the upside of a big 3 of JT/Scoot/Beal would be pretty awesome. It has some big man depth, which we need (Gafford is IMO a step-up on Gallo & Muscala).

For WAS, I think Simons, Nurk & some filler is an alright package for Beal if all that we keep hearing about the lower value of such players is true. Especially if they can ship Porzingis off for some more youth / draft capital.

For Portland, Brown + Brogdon + 1st + filler is pretty fair for #3 + Simons + Nurkic + filler.

It's an interesting proposal. I would be tempted personally, but it's a huge amount of roster change for a top 4 team.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 06:32:41 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Not bad, always been a fan of Little..if do that trade Grant be gone which I don’t mind
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I love the trade.  I don't even think we'd take a step back as we let Henderson develop.  I'd be excited to add an offense creator like him. 

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 11:30:58 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Deconstructing this from a purely Celtics point of view (as others have done):

Celtics get:     Beal, #3 (Scoot Henderson), Gafford and Nassir Little
Celtics Send:  Brown, Brogdon, Muscala, Gallinari, pick 35, and 2024 first

In the near term, we are trading 62 minutes of high level guard play (Brown and Brogdon) for Beal and probably more minutes for Pritchard.  That is a near term downgrade of the core rotation in my view.  Brown + Brogdon >> Beal + Pritchard.

Then there is a swap of fairly incidental pieces, Muscala + Gallinari for Gafford + Nassir.  I don't see any gain there.  Maybe some improvement on the bench but minor impact at best.

The big plus is upgrading our draft stock by getting #3 in exchange for a good second and a future, likely late first.  No question, that is more draft value.

A lot of people seem interested in getting a pick but I don't understand that strategy.  This pick has value but will be no help in the near term and no guarantee to be any help ever.  Scoot Henderson could end up being as talented as Ja Morant or Markelle Fultz.  We could try and flip the #3 pick, maybe get Zion but with what we have left, not sure how we could match salary unless we send Beal back out and then where does that leave us?

I guess I would like this better if it was simpler, send Brown to POR send the #3 to NOP plus players to match salary, send Zion to BOS.  Zion has plenty of risk but he is more blue chip than the #3 pick (more money too of course), and would be immediate help.  In either case (Zion or #3 pick/Beal) this is risk the Celtics just don't need to take.  They are already a top team.

Not knocking OP for trying but my conclusions is pass and JKJB.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 11:44:15 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I think this is a good haul too. It’d be crazy, for sure. Trading an All-NBA 2nd teamer AND 6moty??

But I do think Beal is potentially a better fit for Tatum than Brown and getting the 3rd pick is definitely a prize. If we do draft Scoot, I don’t know why Smart should start.

As for the Blazers, I think they get the best deal out of this tbh. Like this is a win-now move they’d love. Brown is the best player in the deal, is coming off his best season and is a much better fit beside Lillard vs a player like McCollum who they tried to make work for so long and who they traded away the previous season. Wouldn’t surprise me if JB has another potential All-NBA season playing beside Lillard
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 12:02:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Deconstructing this from a purely Celtics point of view (as others have done):

Celtics get:     Beal, #3 (Scoot Henderson), Gafford and Nassir Little
Celtics Send:  Brown, Brogdon, Muscala, Gallinari, pick 35, and 2024 first

In the near term, we are trading 62 minutes of high level guard play (Brown and Brogdon) for Beal and probably more minutes for Pritchard.  That is a near term downgrade of the core rotation in my view.  Brown + Brogdon >> Beal + Pritchard.

Then there is a swap of fairly incidental pieces, Muscala + Gallinari for Gafford + Nassir.  I don't see any gain there.  Maybe some improvement on the bench but minor impact at best.

The big plus is upgrading our draft stock by getting #3 in exchange for a good second and a future, likely late first.  No question, that is more draft value.

A lot of people seem interested in getting a pick but I don't understand that strategy.  This pick has value but will be no help in the near term and no guarantee to be any help ever.  Scoot Henderson could end up being as talented as Ja Morant or Markelle Fultz.  We could try and flip the #3 pick, maybe get Zion but with what we have left, not sure how we could match salary unless we send Beal back out and then where does that leave us?

I guess I would like this better if it was simpler, send Brown to POR send the #3 to NOP plus players to match salary, send Zion to BOS.  Zion has plenty of risk but he is more blue chip than the #3 pick (more money too of course), and would be immediate help.  In either case (Zion or #3 pick/Beal) this is risk the Celtics just don't need to take.  They are already a top team.

Not knocking OP for trying but my conclusions is pass and JKJB.
in the near term, you are trading 62 minutes of Brown and Brogdon for 62 minutes of Beal and Henderson.  You didn't include Scoot in the analysis. I get he is a rookie and won't be as polished as Brogdon, but I suspect he will be healthier and the team will be a lot more dynamic.  Plus, the addition of Little means more guard minutes for the guards because unlike Brown did, Beal won't be logging SF minutes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 04:33:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't love the idea of Blazer deal but if you replace Brown and Brogdon with Henderson and Beal I'm okay with that result.

Brown had his shot with Tatum. We need a better #2.