Author Topic: Bradley Beal?  (Read 9629 times)

Re: Bradley Beal?
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2023, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No way I'd trade Brown straight up for Beal (if the dollars even worked, which they don't).  That said, I wouldn't mind Beal here. 

Beal for Brogdon, Rob, Pritchard, 24 1st, 26 1st, 28 1st (top 4), pick swaps in 25 and 27

That is a pretty solid rebuilding trade for the Wizards given the draft picks, Rob, and Pritchard.  They could move Brogdon for at least a couple of 2nd's if not a 1st (especially if they kept him a year)

Post-trade Boston with several open roster spots
Starters - Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, Horford
Bench - White, Hauser, Grant, Gallinari, Muscala, Kornet, Champagnie, Davison

Team obviously needs another quality big, so I'd try to move White or Smart for a similar level of player that is a big (maybe Collins from Atlanta).  Or maybe a Brown for Towns type trade comes to be.  Just need another move to balance the roster more, but if you could get Beal while keeping Brown and Tatum, you have to do it.
That’s a lot of picks to give up. Also horrified at the idea of that shallow a big man group. How about expanding the deal?

Boston gets: Beal + Wendell Carter Jr + Franz Wagner

Washington gets: Brogdon + Pritchard + R Williams + #36 + 24 Boston 1st + 26 Boston 1st

Orlando gets: Jaylen Brown + protected 29 Boston 1st

Celtics roll with:
Starters: Smart - Beal - Tatum - Wagner - Carter Jr.
Bench: White - Horford - Grant - Gallo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2023, 10:57:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
No way I'd trade Brown straight up for Beal (if the dollars even worked, which they don't).  That said, I wouldn't mind Beal here. 

Beal for Brogdon, Rob, Pritchard, 24 1st, 26 1st, 28 1st (top 4), pick swaps in 25 and 27

That is a pretty solid rebuilding trade for the Wizards given the draft picks, Rob, and Pritchard.  They could move Brogdon for at least a couple of 2nd's if not a 1st (especially if they kept him a year)

Team obviously needs another quality big, so I'd try to move White or Smart for a similar level of player that is a big (maybe Collins from Atlanta).  Or maybe a Brown for Towns type trade comes to be.  Just need another move to balance the roster more, but if you could get Beal while keeping Brown and Tatum, you have to do it.
That’s a lot of picks to give up. Also horrified at the idea of that shallow a big man group. How about expanding the deal?

Boston gets: Beal + Wendell Carter Jr + Franz Wagner

Washington gets: Brogdon + Pritchard + R Williams + #36 + 24 Boston 1st + 26 Boston 1st

Orlando gets: Jaylen Brown + protected 29 Boston 1st

Celtics roll with:
Starters: Smart - Beal - Tatum - Wagner - Carter Jr.
Bench: White - Horford - Grant - Gallo
Sure expanding the deal is fine, but I think Washington can do better than that elsewhere, which is why I just went the heavy pick route.  Another trade has to be made, but I think there are trades out there that wouldn't require additional 1st rounders, which is why I'd do the trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2023, 10:59:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427

I like that team a lot more with a Jaylen for Towns trade to re-balance the team.

G: Smart
G: Beal
F: Tatum
F: Horford
C: Towns

That is a team with size, defense, rebounding, passing, shooting. Strong team.

That roster is smaller and worse. Giving up your starting center for Beal? Not me.

Agreed. I believe that team without the Towns for Jaylen trade is worse off than our current team.

Too much duplication of skill-set with Tatum, Beal and Jaylen. Diminished returns. Only so much improvement offensively can be expected while the team takes a substantial step backwards without Rob Williams.

Do not like Horford as our sole big next year. He is too old. That squad is too vulnerable in the paint. Too small. Even smaller with Beal who is smaller and a worse defender than our Smart / D White combo of last year. Horford needs more help than this. He cannot cope. He needs rebounding help. He needs interior defense help. Heck, he can only play 26-28mpg at this juncture in his career. That is 20-22mpg at center when Horford is not even available.

That team is worse despite getting the best individual player.

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2023, 01:38:47 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

The Timberwolves are not trading Towns without getting multiple first round picks in return. They have to recoup some of the picks they lost in the Gorbert trade. The Celtics would have to include picks anyways for Towns, since he's signed for multiple, while Brown would only have one.

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2023, 04:22:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

The Timberwolves are not trading Towns without getting multiple first round picks in return. They have to recoup some of the picks they lost in the Gorbert trade. The Celtics would have to include picks anyways for Towns, since he's signed for multiple, while Brown would only have one.

Even with his contract status, I assume Brown has more value than Towns.

I don’t hate the idea of Beal-Tatum (I think Beal does really well off-ball btw. He’s just been ball dominant coz yknow… that roster haha) but I prefer Tatum-Towns. You get better P&R action and upgrade shooting. Sure you lose some defensive versatility, but that’s why we still need Smart

- LilRip

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2023, 05:05:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 266
  • International Superstar

I don’t hate the idea of Beal-Tatum (I think Beal does really well off-ball btw. He’s just been ball dominant coz yknow… that roster haha) but I prefer Tatum-Towns. You get better P&R action and upgrade shooting. Sure you lose some defensive versatility, but that’s why we still need Smart

Tangential question - how much of an upgrade do we think Beal-Tatum is over Beal-Wall? Now, granted, Washington is and was a horribly-run organisation, but that 2016-2017 Wizards team (the only season where Wall [26] and Beal [23] both played 77+ games) was good, not great. And Beal hasn't touched at least 65 games played since 2018-2019.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2023, 07:04:05 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 377
so, let me get this straight. The same crowd who is screaming "dont pay Brown the supermax!"

want to trade him for a guy who is older, has worse stats and is making the supermax....

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2023, 07:18:12 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 490
so, let me get this straight. The same crowd who is screaming "dont pay Brown the supermax!"

want to trade him for a guy who is older, has worse stats and is making the supermax....
You don't understand. He's a little better at passing but still not great. The trick is he's a turnstile on defense, so there's that. Brown also hasn't had enough success in the playoffs, so we gotta go all in on Beal  ::)
#JKJB

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2023, 09:01:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

Weren't the players and the fans criticizing Mazzulla for sticking with the "small" starting line over using RWill?  That we were so much better when we started 2 bigs.  Now we are going to trade for Beal so we can have an even smaller starting line up?

I know a lot of people like the idea of the small line ups.  Not me.  Even if you are able or willing to trade Brown for Towns, Beal is not the small guard that I would target.  LaMelo and Garland who have been mentioned are better options.

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2023, 09:17:28 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Beal only player in NBA to have a no trade clause so be interesting on what team he would like to go to & who he wouldn’t go to..I say he would come to Boston, Miami, Lakers, Warriors for sure
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t see how a trade for Beal happens unless Washington just wants to get rid of his contract to blow it up. Beal also has a no trade which makes things interesting. I do think JB would maybe “fit” better on the roster than Brown since he’s a better off ball player but his contract and what the Cs have to offer make it difficult to envision a trade.

Only way I would do a deal is if they can get Beal in a deal without JB and then they use JB to upgrade the front court. So basically, not happening.

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2023, 09:41:47 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I don’t see how a trade for Beal happens unless Washington just wants to get rid of his contract to blow it up. Beal also has a no trade which makes things interesting. I do think JB would maybe “fit” better on the roster than Brown since he’s a better off ball player but his contract and what the Cs have to offer make it difficult to envision a trade.

Only way I would do a deal is if they can get Beal in a deal without JB and then they use JB to upgrade the front court. So basically, not happening.

Wasn't it reported that Beal and the Wizards have "agreed to work together on a trade if the organization elects to rebuild the roster"?  I agree it is still complicated.

I agree with the premise that if we could trade Brown for Towns (for example), then you could consider an additional trade to get Beal, if WAS was willing to give him up cheap.  But even then, you still need to match salary.  That would be a whole lot of money tied up in 3 players, all on super max contracts.  Personally, if we could get Towns for Brown, I would claim victory and not try to get Beal.  You still maybe consider trading one of Smart, White, Brogdon for more of a wing vs. combo guard but Beal is not that.

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2023, 09:59:36 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1478

Tangential question - how much of an upgrade do we think Beal-Tatum is over Beal-Wall? Now, granted, Washington is and was a horribly-run organisation, but that 2016-2017 Wizards team (the only season where Wall [26] and Beal [23] both played 77+ games) was good, not great. And Beal hasn't touched at least 65 games played since 2018-2019.

Tatum is a top 5 player in the league. Wall never was, so I'd say Tatum/Beal would be better. I think at this stage, Beal wouldn't have a problem being the #2 option. He's been THE man in Washington for years and it's a heavy load to carry.  JB seems to think he's the number one option and doesn't look interested deferring or playing off Tatum. I feel like the fit would be better with Beal. He's better at shooting, dribbling, passing, and seems to have a higher BBIQ than JB does.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:19:04 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2023, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Couple of points on this from Felger and Mazz yesterday.
1 - Brown would not be the one traded here. It would likely be Smart/Brogdon (to make the money work) & Draft capital
2 - A third team would need to be involved to get better Draft stock - so say Smart goes to a Houston of the world and in return Wizards get better picks
3 - likely teams that are in are Miami, Boston, Bucks, Philly with the following trades being offered:
Boston (see above)
Miami - Lowry and draft capital
Bucks - Middleton and draft capital
Philly - Harris and draft capital
They said he likely would not accept a trade to Bucks or Philly (no trade clause) - not sure if there was insider knowledge there or they were just assuming that to be the case.
4 - They think Boston is the front runner because he 'wants to play with Tatum' so because of this Wizards would have to bring down their price if he says Boston or bust (although I'm sure he'd happily go to Miami)
5 - This would in theory be a one year all in play. Under the new CBA we wouldnt be able to have 3 max guys on our roster so after year 1 we would likely be forced to trade one of Tatum, Brown, Beal

Honestly I think I would still take my chances on the trade assuming it is Smart, Brogdon and picks and also assuming Beal is healthy. I am not sure how much better Beal even is than Brogdon at this stage in his career but this roster needs a shake up and I think Smart needs to go.

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2023, 12:31:33 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
5 - This would in theory be a one year all in play. Under the new CBA we wouldnt be able to have 3 max guys on our roster so after year 1 we would likely be forced to trade one of Tatum, Brown, Beal

I don't know much about the upcoming CBA and it's ramifications. If Jaylen signs the supermax, I assume that won't kick in until after next season. Would that mean he couldn't be traded until a year after the extension kicks in? Would the Celtics then have to trade one of Beal or Tatum? If I'm another team, I'm only making an offer for Tatum, if the Celtics have no choice but to trade one of the two. Am I overtaking this?