Author Topic: 2023 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 33638 times)

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #495 on: June 23, 2023, 12:13:00 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think tonight was about money. I think Brad is worried he can afford to sign JT, JB and now KP, to long contracts.
Would be cool if we can lock all 3 up long term.

I actually Love our new Big 3! KP Never lived up to all the early hype, Hopefully he will with the Celtics.
Typically trades favor the team that got the best player. We got the best player.

« Reply #496 on: June 23, 2023, 12:13:15 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
 Weird picks…  :-\
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #497 on: June 23, 2023, 12:13:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
Walsh seems to be a replacement for grant without any offense at all.

Defense and rebounding only

He doesn't look even close to Grant offensively.  Grant was a consistent threat from outside for us.

So to sum up:

We got Jordan Walsh and three 2nd round picks today?

Jordan Walsh projects to a possibly elite wing defender but can't shoot worth a lick!

Well, Brad was very active.  I'll give him that.  Feels kind of meh in terms of the players obtained.  But it feels like the focus was more on stocking up on those extra 2nd round picks to facilitate future deals.
ha!!! you beat me by 5 seconds.  ;D

Well, tbf, Grant when drafted didn't look close to Grant now.

From the ringer 2019 draft guide on Grant:

"Reluctant to shoot 3s, passes up open looks, and dribbles into short midrange pull ups. Does he lack confidence or is he aware of his limitations?"

here is a video of walsh. i love his defense, actually reminds me of smart in how he moves his feet and gets in front of players. plus amazingly long arms.

but wow, the shooting numbers are really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNl3SYKqwE&t=105s
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #498 on: June 23, 2023, 12:14:04 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
Just watched some defensive highlights from Walsh. Pretty impressive. Very fundamental and heady defender who seems like he has no problem staying in front of his guy. Very high energy, too.

Reminds me of early Smart or a Jrue type in their ability to stay in front of their man and avoid the screen.

« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2023, 12:17:04 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
He plays defense and rebounds there will be a role for him.

I am anxious to see what happens next to fill out the roster.

« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2023, 12:17:22 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Walsh has great athleticism and measurables, seems to have some very good defensive instincts, plays hard, is young and can't shoot at all.

Kind of guy who might never amount to anything, but most picks in the 20-40 range never amount to anything. If he ever gets to even average as just a spot up shooter he could have a Finney-Smith or Crowder type role as a versatile 3+D wing which this team could use.

Just watching highlights he moves extremely fluidly on defense. And he has legit length.

« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2023, 12:18:36 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Trayce Jackson-Davis is still out there.  I admit I thought him overrated on this board, but we’re now in the range where I’m hopeful we can trade back in and pick him up.

« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:03 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Idk how many picks we have, but I bet this is gonna be some wild 8 for 1 trade eventually...see Clippers/Thunder trade for Paul George, or a Jazz/Wolves trade for Rudy Gobert.

Something big is cookin' lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2023, 12:22:07 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I don't know anything about Walsh, if he may or not turns in another G Will. I even doubt he can be the next Ojeleye as a mid second round pick and our history in this range don't give much hope. So basically we don't want to pay Grant (or the great Mazz don't like him), so now he is an elute shooter, we try to developp the same way of non shooter in a great one to become the next 3 and D ... On a contending team ???

The Smart pills is not near to pass on my stomach.  Basically we have Walsh, future bunch of seconds (prob also with the Warriors picks) and a one year big always hurt, who succeed only on top scorer of a bad team.... Why didn't we take a future Mem 1st (lottery protected) if Stevens didn't know what to do with this year 25 ???

Just business ? Say more just capitalist sport, the owner do what he wants, even bad buisness. I feel like a sheep and my heart will take the plane to Memphis with Marcus, or maybe out of this business. Gosh so disapointed today.

« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2023, 12:22:48 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Good to see Keyontae Johnson get drafted, but I hope the OKC doctors are more careful with him than they were Jeff Green.

« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2023, 12:26:02 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 639
Good to see Keyontae Johnson get drafted, but I hope the OKC doctors are more careful with him than they were Jeff Green.

Was sorta hoping he would not get drafted and we could scoop him....fingers crossed on TJD or Sonogo as UDFA, would take a flier on Drew Timme too

« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2023, 12:27:49 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Walsh seems to be a replacement for grant without any offense at all.

Defense and rebounding only

He doesn't look even close to Grant offensively.  Grant was a consistent threat from outside for us.

So to sum up:

We got Jordan Walsh and three 2nd round picks today?

Jordan Walsh projects to a possibly elite wing defender but can't shoot worth a lick!

Well, Brad was very active.  I'll give him that.  Feels kind of meh in terms of the players obtained.  But it feels like the focus was more on stocking up on those extra 2nd round picks to facilitate future deals.
ha!!! you beat me by 5 seconds.  ;D

Well, tbf, Grant when drafted didn't look close to Grant now.

From the ringer 2019 draft guide on Grant:

"Reluctant to shoot 3s, passes up open looks, and dribbles into short midrange pull ups. Does he lack confidence or is he aware of his limitations?"

here is a video of walsh. i love his defense, actually reminds me of smart in how he moves his feet and gets in front of players. plus amazingly long arms.

but wow, the shooting numbers are really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNl3SYKqwE&t=105s
Looks like he can pass and has a decent feel for the offensive end of the floor.

« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2023, 12:35:58 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Another way of looking at Walsh: Any rookie the c's draft is barely going to touch the ball on offense. Tatum, Brown, KP, Brogdon, White all going to handle and soak up most offensive opportunities. Already have shooting options in Payton and Hauser.

Walsh at least is a different look, and seems like the kind of guy who may be able to add value without a lot of offensive looks. Thats the best way to get some minutes as a rookie on a good team.

« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2023, 12:37:42 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Another way of looking at Walsh: Any rookie the c's draft is barely going to touch the ball on offense. Tatum, Brown, KP, Brogdon, White all going to handle and soak up most offensive opportunities. Already have shooting options in Payton and Hauser.

Walsh at least is a different look, and seems like the kind of guy who may be able to add value without a lot of offensive looks. Thats the best way to get some minutes as a rookie on a good team.

Yep, that why I wanted Rupert, for the same reason.  Walsh should have a chance to earn playing time, and if he can hit the wide open threes he presented with while no one’s guarding him, that will earn him more playing time until teams do start guarding him.

« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2023, 12:44:10 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Desmond Bane is the cautionary tale of what happens when you get too cute and trade a real potential talent for a passel of 2nd round picks.  He was the #30 pick in the 2020 draft.  We could have kept him but instead chose to trade him for picks.

The other 1st round selections we did keep Aaron Nesmith at #14 and Payton Pritchard at #26.  I'd rather have Bane over either of those guys. 

He might have been useful for us against the Heat.

I just hope that won't be the case in 2023 and that those extra 2nd round picks will turn out useful to seal a deal to improve the team in the very near future.

With the Porzingis trade and the 2023 draft, that's a big signal to me that Brad has decided that we're past the point of developing players and need to assemble the pieces to maker a serious run at the title.