Author Topic: 76ers (3-3) at Celtics (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 5/14/23  (Read 36390 times)

Re: 76ers (3-3) at Celtics (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 5/14/23
« Reply #885 on: May 14, 2023, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
rewatching the game, and i have to call out a play at the 10:06 mark in the fourth. JB is guarding harden and fights over a pick to prevent the switch; harden drives left into the paint and JB fights to stay between harden and the rim. JB blocks the left handed layup attempt, JT rebounds at the free throw line and pushes the ball up the middle of the court with his head on a swivel. at the timeline, he sees brogdon perfectly filling the right lane and cutting to the basket around the free throw line extended. JT dribbling with his head up, sees brogdon and threads a beautiful bounce pass to brogdon for an uncontested reverse layup.

tough-nosed defense leading to a fast break, and the best player on the team making the right pass to a teammate who was running the floor for an easy bucket. absolutely beautiful celtic’s ball! the C’s play like this and no one beats them.

« Reply #886 on: May 14, 2023, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Wonder how Doris Burke is doing

The so-called “specimen” was dreadful today, not much to be happy about especially the 2nd half :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #887 on: May 14, 2023, 11:13:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524
Celtics win Game 7 on my birthday and Mother's Day. Very happy for me as I just hit 30 today. Big win y'all. Let's go all the way pls!!
Happy effing bday! Mine is today too!

TPs guys, glad it was a good one!

« Reply #888 on: May 14, 2023, 11:27:11 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
just getting home. WOW JUST WOW is all i can say. tatum dominated it appears and how did we hold them to 10 in the 3rd?

that is unreal.

DOC CHOKER RIVERS CHOKES AWAY A SERIES LEAD AGAIN!

NOW LETS GET READY FOR A WAR WITH THE HEAT

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #889 on: May 14, 2023, 11:30:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What a ride this series was, I really hope the Celtics come out in dominate the heat, I believe they can if they play the right way

« Reply #890 on: May 14, 2023, 11:32:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
Celtics win Game 7 on my birthday and Mother's Day. Very happy for me as I just hit 30 today. Big win y'all. Let's go all the way pls!!
Happy effing bday! Mine is today too!

Nice!! Happy Birthday bro! Celtics gave us all the big one today  :angel:

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #891 on: May 14, 2023, 11:37:34 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
just getting home. WOW JUST WOW is all i can say. tatum dominated it appears and how did we hold them to 10 in the 3rd?

that is unreal.

TP for you! Always great to come home to a good win and an enjoyable replay of the game  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #892 on: May 14, 2023, 11:39:07 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
i know you fellow X’s & O’s guys noticed tonight but joe and the players made another big adjustment, this one on offense. after two consecutive series of teams beating us down with the high PnR to get the switch they wanted against Al, the C’s returned the favor tonight.

Tatum and Rob were very disciplined against embiid in the high PnR switch, and JT was absolutely abusing him. JT mixed in some aggressive drives to the rim, along with some threes when the exhausted embiid sagged on the switch. loved seeing the C’s being disciplined on offense, exploiting a sixers defensive weakness.

praise where praise is due.

Yup, learning late is better than not learning at all  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #893 on: May 15, 2023, 12:46:53 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

that is unreal.

TP Lep!!!!

Nature Boy Tatum brought the heat tonight!

« Reply #894 on: May 15, 2023, 12:54:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
rewatching the game, and i have to call out a play at the 10:06 mark in the fourth. JB is guarding harden and fights over a pick to prevent the switch; harden drives left into the paint and JB fights to stay between harden and the rim. JB blocks the left handed layup attempt, JT rebounds at the free throw line and pushes the ball up the middle of the court with his head on a swivel. at the timeline, he sees brogdon perfectly filling the right lane and cutting to the basket around the free throw line extended. JT dribbling with his head up, sees brogdon and threads a beautiful bounce pass to brogdon for an uncontested reverse layup.

tough-nosed defense leading to a fast break, and the best player on the team making the right pass to a teammate who was running the floor for an easy bucket. absolutely beautiful celtic’s ball! the C’s play like this and no one beats them.
JB’s stats weren’t amazing, but his effort really turned us around as a team. Put his body on the line several times, hustled like never before, and hit some really timely shots. Drawing the flagrant, then getting the steal and fast break, all really helped us. Great game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #895 on: May 15, 2023, 01:05:24 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Wonder how Doris Burke is doing

The so-called “specimen” was dreadful today, not much to be happy about especially the 2nd half :laugh:

Man I got so sick of her calling Embiid "The MVP." It's one thing for her to reference it a couple times, but she felt the need to remind us every 30 seconds or so. Maybe Adam Silver and ESPN were paying per mention. And I'm not even kidding.

« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2023, 01:11:00 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

JB’s stats weren’t amazing, but his effort really turned us around as a team. Put his body on the line several times, hustled like never before, and hit some really timely shots. Drawing the flagrant, then getting the steal and fast break, all really helped us. Great game

How about the full on dive? It was completely Marcus-seque. That was how a play that didn’t make a stat sheet makes a difference.  Didn’t get the ball but was effort on a level I haven’t seen from Jaylen. 

« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2023, 01:13:43 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041
The run that started in the 3rd quarter and pulling it away was a 28-3 run.

Hahaha, must be a Boston thing.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2023, 04:59:46 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
enough of the sniping, guys. our best player, who has been less than stellar for most of the playoffs, showed up huge tonight. most of us were off the tatum train the past few games (this forum has the receipts), until he reappeared in the 4Q and tonight. tatum deserved the criticism. heck, even mark jackson said in the 3Q tonight, “apology accepted.”

add to this great news, the team seems to have rediscovered its defensive tenacity, which bodes well for the ECF (and hopefully the finals)!

as for me, i’m celebrating in the hot tub, watching the second half, again, and lighting one up for Red! cheers!

I am a Pleiades Albaderon guy myself - very smooth smoke.
Perfect for watching the entire replay.
Usually purchase a few of the genuine smokes and then a full wrapper of the JR versions, which are very good.
There is a JR Cigars store in NC I used to go to and the clerks walk around smoking and giving you a sample of what you are interested in. Just give them a description. What a great place.

I have a good friend who was an assistant with the Celtics during the Jimmy O'Brien years. My buddy was a big cigar guy - loved his Macanudos. I'm sure Red smoked whatever he wanted, but my friend Joe asked him his favorite brand one day after practice and Red replied, "Whatever somebody gives me for free", though I would doubt Red needed to buy the JR knock-offs.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #899 on: May 15, 2023, 07:01:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I don’t mind players showing emotion at the right time in place. Including Tatum. But you need to keep your head in the game for the whole game.  If you are thinking, even for a moment about how many points you have or how many threes you have hit that is a few moments you aren’t thinking about the game.

How many points did you average when you played Vermont Green?  Were you ever a lead scorer.  Did you play after High Scho. Because I was on several teams and I thought I was letting my team down if I did not produce.   Though I never checked my points until after a game.   If you  care it hurts and eats at you.

I was really glad to see him played for 4 quarters.   That is a must going forward.

It wasn’t very hard to count the points I scored when I played in high school. But you are missing the point. This teams Achilles’ heel all season long was letdowns. Not having a killer instinct. Or maintaining the killer instinct. You have to stay focused and keep your head in the game.  A game can be won or a lost in a short stretch of the game where there are a couple of turnovers or otherwise even a small letdown.

To be clear, I did not find anything Tatum did in this game to be egregious or showboating or anything like that. But I have seen this team blow leads, and otherwise lose their focus.  Our stars are very young still. But I feel that their best chance to win a title is to stay as focused as possible for the entire game.  Anything outside of that lane diminishes their chances, even if it is only slightly.

I guess if there's a time to lose focus, it's when you just scored your playoff record 51st point to put your team up 26 with 7:21 left in the game.

At the same time, the team *didn't* lose focus, as they grew the lead to 30 before Tatum left the game.

I'm really not sure what the difference is between flashing a "50" sign, versus the "3" sign after every three pointer, etc.
I think everyone is missing my point. I must not be saying it very clearly. Tatum had a game for the ages. He is a phenomenal young player. One of the best in the league. I couldn’t be happier having him as the leader of the Celtics team.

But his next level of ascension of leadership is to be making all those big shots and then not doing the three point sign or 50 point sign after. Put the dagger in the opponent’s heart and just walk off the court. Like Kobe would do. Like Bird would do. Like MJ would do.  Anything small Tatum does will get amplified because it will affect the rest of the team.  I am not being critical of Tatum, or at least not trying to be. But these are the little things that make the difference between winning a championship and not.  Or winning a string of championships.