Author Topic: Zach Edey Future Celtic Declares for Draft  (Read 4813 times)

Re: Zach Edey Future Celtic Declares for Draft
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2023, 12:38:45 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 748
KG - I'm all for drafting this kid with our 1st round pick. Celts need a strong big down low to compete with Embiid, Lopez, Jokic, Towns and a few others I'm probably forgetting. I am not suggesting that Edey will be as skilled as some of these guys, but we need someone with the size and strength of the bigger NBA centers that we struggle with. But, unlike you, I am sure Brad can screw this up given his aversion to big post players.

As for Kanter becoming a "distraction" for the league, God Bless the guy for having some real conviction and for telling the truth.
He has integrity, unlike Lebron James, who only becomes vocal when it serves his personal agenda, $$$$$$$.

Kanter may have some heart felt convictions and may be trying to do something good but to hold him up as some paradigm of truth is as deluded as still thinking Fox News is honest news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/24/sports/basketball/enes-kanter-freedom-nba-activism.html

Why do people always drag Fox News into a discussion having nothing to do with news networks ?
It's just code for all kinds of things the left has falsely accused conservatives of.

But I digress.

I liked Kanter when he was with the Celtics. Solid teammate, played hard, put effort into his defense despite his lack of lateral agility. We finally had a guy down low who put a priority on offensive rebounding, which has been a hallmark of all the Celtic championship groups. Guess tough rebounding is too gritty an element of basketball to interest Brad. Not sure what kind of offensive rebounder that Edey can be in the NBA, but I think we have a need for some size and toughness in the middle. Celts have missed Aaron Baynes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 01:05:13 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2023, 02:20:26 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/OO7eVkgBhlk

You need rebounding draft Edey.  Edey plays like an unathletic slower, but bigger Shaq. His game is to get the easiest shot possible dunk or jump hook. 

Question is this,  if he is an auto bucket deep in the paint In the NBA.  The Celtics have a team full of scorers. Would they feed him if he's wide open underneath? I think they would.

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2023, 08:55:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
All I have seen of him are the highlights.  Everyone seems to be convinced that he is too slow for the NBA.  He is slow, that will be something he needs to overcome.  But I see a feel for the game a good anticipation/reaction.

Think of an outfielder in baseball.  You can be fast as the wind but if you don't get that jump on the ball right off the bat, you are not going to be a major league outfielder.  If you have that ability to make the read and get that jump on the ball, you can play.  If you have the jump and are fast too, all the better.  There were faster outfielders than Jackie Bradley Jr., for example, but no one got a better jump on the ball.

That is what I see in Edey, he has the basketball equivalent of an outfielder who gets a good jump on the ball, but in a very large, slow body.  We are talking about a second round pick who will likely get a 2-way contract.  He doesn't have to be Shaq.

And I will also say that based on what I see, I think there is a chance that he could develop a serviceable 3-point shot.  Think of Brook Lopez.  Lopez was in the league for 7 seasons before he even took a 3-point shot, two more seasons before he made more than 30% of them.  Now it is a weapon for him.

At Purdue, he had no reason to ever take a 3-point shot.  But I see the coordination, similar to Lopez, that may allow him to develop a 3 point shot over time.  Point is you just don't know and aren't going to know unless you are the team that takes him and then really works with him for a couple of seasons.

I have no idea if Edey will amount to anything, but that is the same for nearly all second round picks and many first round picks.  I would be completely fine if the Celtics took a chance on him though.

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2023, 05:31:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
KG - I'm all for drafting this kid with our 1st round pick. Celts need a strong big down low to compete with Embiid, Lopez, Jokic, Towns and a few others I'm probably forgetting. I am not suggesting that Edey will be as skilled as some of these guys, but we need someone with the size and strength of the bigger NBA centers that we struggle with. But, unlike you, I am sure Brad can screw this up given his aversion to big post players.

As for Kanter becoming a "distraction" for the league, God Bless the guy for having some real conviction and for telling the truth.
He has integrity, unlike Lebron James, who only becomes vocal when it serves his personal agenda, $$$$$$$.

Kanter may have some heart felt convictions and may be trying to do something good but to hold him up as some paradigm of truth is as deluded as still thinking Fox News is honest news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/24/sports/basketball/enes-kanter-freedom-nba-activism.html

Why do people always drag Fox News into a discussion having nothing to do with news networks ?
It's just code for all kinds of things the left has falsely accused conservatives of.

But I digress.

I liked Kanter when he was with the Celtics. Solid teammate, played hard, put effort into his defense despite his lack of lateral agility. We finally had a guy down low who put a priority on offensive rebounding, which has been a hallmark of all the Celtic championship groups. Guess tough rebounding is too gritty an element of basketball to interest Brad. Not sure what kind of offensive rebounder that Edey can be in the NBA, but I think we have a need for some size and toughness in the middle. Celts have missed Aaron Baynes.
Yeah, it's definitely that Kanter was too strong an offensive rebounder. Not at all because he was the worst defensive big in the NBA
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3209

But I digress.

Yeah, it's definitely that Kanter was too strong an offensive rebounder. Not at all because he was the worst defensive big in the NBA

Yeah, bigs in the NBA now have to be able to switch and defend out to the perimeter. That's why I doubt Edey.

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
I wish Edey well, and I hope he succeeds in the NBA.

But the C's picking him early in the 2nd round?? There's quite a few mocks/projections that don't even have him being drafted...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2023, 01:42:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I wish Edey well, and I hope he succeeds in the NBA.

But the C's picking him early in the 2nd round?? There's quite a few mocks/projections that don't even have him being drafted...

It only takes one team to like him,  as they say. Remember In the second round your usually trying to find a player that has one or two defined NBA skills.

With Zach you get about three. The best skill he has I believe is its so darn easy to pass it to him when he's sealed his man down low.

So easy most of the people on this board could get it to him. Massive target, and he's good at creating angles. And so strong you can't move him. Much stronger than Boban ever was and also 40 pounds heavier.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2023, 10:06:37 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406

But I digress.

Yeah, bigs in the NBA now have to be able to switch and defend out to the perimeter. That's why I doubt Edey.

I posted this in your "sell me on Zach Edey" thread, I had a lot of trouble trying to sell you to him  :police:

He reminds me of Luka Garza when he played for Iowa. He had a glittering college career as well, consensus All American, Big Ten POTY, college POTY...just that when you get to the pros you can't push people around like you did in college. Unless you can shoot the ball and not get killed on switches I think you're going to struggle, at best he'd be looking at a Kornet type niche role. Size just by itself doesn't translate to today's NBA, otherwise Tacko would be killing it here and not in China.

The comp was less on their physical attributes and more on how they play, how they dominate/d college hoops and how I expect they will both fare in the NBA, because the game has changed and it's hard for these kinds of players to succeed just on size. They either need to have great athleticism like Timelord where he can dominate his position despite being 6"8, or stretch the floor and allow a team to play five-out basketball, or have an overpowering post game like Embiid, or is an otherworldly passer like Jokic. Otherwise they're just going to fill a niche because they struggle with switches, they'll get attacked on PnR and will find it hard to defend on the perimeter. Ten or fifteen years ago Edey might have well been a lottery pick, maybe even top 5, just on size alone.

As liam said Edey is more talented than Garza or Tacko, but I see his future as a Kornet-type situational player. Certainly worth a shot in the second round if he's still available. But the Cs might think back on their Tacko experience and wonder if they want to go through all that again, picking a developmental player with limitations for a team that's arrived at its championship window.

But Edey is only a junior and he gets another year of eligibility because of the Covid shutdown, so he's got time to work on diversifying his skillset, possibly developing a credible outside shot and getting better at passing the ball to start the offense to find cutters, and letting scouts get a better idea of what defensive schemes might be able to cloak his deficiencies.

Sorry liam...I know I was supposed to be selling you but I'm finding it hard

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=107799.15

It really comes down to is Brad willing to take a flyer on Zach - he's be a high risk pick. I also can't see his fit being great, given we are in win-now mode. We had trouble finding minutes for our last project in Tacko, and that was when we had less depth than we do now. We have trouble finding minutes for Kornet and Griffin. And those guys can space the floor at least. Zach may be better off with another team where he can get more reps and more chance to develop under a smaller spotlight.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2023, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Some good points above but there aren’t going to be enough minutes for any second round pick. That pick is almost for sure going to end up on. 2-way contract like Davison.

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2023, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
It would be better to take a chance on Trayce Jackson Davis from IU . he doesn't project high either but is a lot more athletic and defensively and rebounding much better vs only being tall. If he could even delvelop a mid range shot. Much more upside than Edey inmy opinion. Also as Edey is of Korean heritage not Chinese as mentioned earlier. Most likely he will go through the process and return to Purdue for another year.

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2023, 08:04:24 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1701
It would be better to take a chance on Trayce Jackson Davis from IU . he doesn't project high either but is a lot more athletic and defensively and rebounding much better vs only being tall. If he could even delvelop a mid range shot. Much more upside than Edey inmy opinion. Also as Edey is of Korean heritage not Chinese as mentioned earlier. Most likely he will go through the process and return to Purdue for another year.

Now Trayce Jackson-Davis I do like.  I think he could give us something similar to what Brandon Clarke gives Memphis.

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2023, 12:36:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
https://youtu.be/gGfxAlSY59o

Here is Zach dominating against Lively from Duke a future first round pick. Edey will have a Brook Lopez like career.

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2023, 12:52:58 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1478

Here is Zach dominating against Lively from Duke a future first round pick. Edey will have a Brook Lopez like career.

Doubt it. Maybe Robin, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2023, 04:55:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Doubt it. Maybe Robin, though.

If he's a Lopez twin he's Brook. He's the offensive dominant big who knows how to use his body. To score.