Author Topic: DPOY = JJJ  (Read 1338 times)

DPOY = JJJ
« on: April 17, 2023, 09:42:57 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 96
Memphis Grizzlies big man Jaren Jackson Jr. won Defensive Player of the Year. Not a surprise to me. I would love to see him in green.

I know Marcus Smart regressed this year, but I don’t even see his name in the Top 10. Was he really that bad? Usually guys that win MVP and other awards hang around 5-10 at least.

Are voters hating on Marcus after giving the award to a guard last year? I know he wasn’t playing like a Top 5 defender, just surprised he is basically getting ignored now.

Re: DPOY = JJJ
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 09:03:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I thought it should be Lopez as JJJ fouls too much, but congrats to him.  Youngest ever to win the award.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:44:16 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Good for JJJ. I don’t think he really played enough minutes to win this award, but I’ve always liked him.

I remember years ago we did an under 25 player draft where I think the top 3 were Luka, Tatum & Towns, and I was the first to nominate JJJ getting selected. I still think he has more untapped potential on offense.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 10:12:51 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 96
I guess Marcus Smart really did fall off a cliff this year?

He wasn’t in the Top 10 defensive player voting and it doesn’t look like he’s going to get any votes for the All Defensive Team either. Isn’t that uncommon? He was DPOY last year and the 1st guard to win since The Glove. Don’t players usually get votes based off reputation for a year or two after winning an award?

Maybe it’s time to move on from Marcus after all? He’s adequate as a PG, but defense is his calling card. If he’s no longer a top defender then maybe White, Brogdon and JD are enough? The team plays well enough with them running the show. Bring Yam over for another tryout and see what you can get for Marcus?

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 10:17:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After the stats scandal surprised they gave to JJJ. He doesn't deserve it this year.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
After the stats scandal surprised they gave to JJJ. He doesn't deserve it this year.
What is that?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
What is that?

There was a whole thing after a reddit post found an unlikely discrepancy between his home and away stats and attributed it to an overly friendly home scorekeeper, but when some of the major NBA reporters looked into it they found that the home scorekeeper was reporting correctly. So if anything, his stats were being undercounted on the road
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 12:07:44 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
I guess Marcus Smart really did fall off a cliff this year?

He wasn’t in the Top 10 defensive player voting and it doesn’t look like he’s going to get any votes for the All Defensive Team either. Isn’t that uncommon? He was DPOY last year and the 1st guard to win since The Glove. Don’t players usually get votes based off reputation for a year or two after winning an award?

Maybe it’s time to move on from Marcus after all? He’s adequate as a PG, but defense is his calling card. If he’s no longer a top defender then maybe White, Brogdon and JD are enough? The team plays well enough with them running the show. Bring Yam over for another tryout and see what you can get for Marcus?

Smart missed a lot of games and spent a lot more being fairly ineffective.  It's not surprising that he hasn't gotten votes this season.

As for whether it's time to move on... I'm torn.  On one hand, our depth at guard is a big reason why we were able to reach the playoffs in a pretty good state of health.  And Smart is certainly a part of that.  Also he's Jaylen's closest friend on the team, so that's a thing to keep in mind with regards to keeping JB around long-term.  On the other hand, he didn't have a very good year and I question how well he'll age.  If we can move him for a quality big man who can approximate what Horford does for us, then I'd have to do that.  I've grown confident in White's ability to be our starting point guard and Horford is really the only piece in the rotation with a looming expiration date. 

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
What is that?

There was a whole thing after a reddit post found an unlikely discrepancy between his home and away stats and attributed it to an overly friendly home scorekeeper, but when some of the major NBA reporters looked into it they found that the home scorekeeper was reporting correctly. So if anything, his stats were being undercounted on the road

Or, more likely, he plays better at home, which is true for most players, and especially younger ones.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
He didn't deserve it at all. He doesn't play enough. He jumps and reaches constantly, compromising the integrity of the defense and getting fouls called on him that require he sit out for large portions of the game.

Few would take JJJ as the anchor to their defense before players like Giannis, or Davis, or Holliday, or even Embiid. Heck, I'd even take Bam, OG, or Gobert as my defensive anchor before him. I might even look at Bridges, Lopez, Mobley, or Gordon first too. The award is a joke this year that I won't acknowledge.

I've watched enough Memphis games to know that very few players are afraid of JJJ or gameplan in a way to avoid his rotations on offense. He may not even be the best positional defender on his team (Brooks) or the best rim protector on his team (Adams).

This feels more campaigny and narrative-based than I've ever seen, and I think its a gross manipulation and exploitation of the game to get an award. It's in the same realm as Monte Ellis' stat hunting or Ricky Davis' missed layup to get a triple-double.

Like I said, I won't acknowledge this award this year, or I will give it an asterisk every time I talk about it.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 02:28:42 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
JJJ fouls a lot (or so I've heard). Seems like he's getting this award based mainly/mostly on blocks? Is he actually a great all-around defender?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 10:43:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
JJJ fouls a lot (or so I've heard). Seems like he's getting this award based mainly/mostly on blocks? Is he actually a great all-around defender?
he gambles a lot, but he is very athletic and even when he gambles wrong can often make up for it, though that is also why he commits so many fouls.  Memphis was the 2nd best defense in the league and he is clearly their best defensive player so I'm sure that helped JJJ.  I do think he fouls too much and he did only play in 63 games so I wouldn't have given it to him.  I think Brook Lopez was more deserving.  He played in 78 games, anchored a top 5 defense, and was still an excellent shot blocker with a much lower foul rate. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip