Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 306251 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2022, 10:09:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Christian Wood’s killing it for the Mavs.  He’s playing 24.5mpg and is giving Dallas 25pts/10rebs per game. They are going to be a tough out.
He was the guy I really wanted in the big TPE. Was very sad the Mavs acquired him.
We don't agree often Mo, but we do here. That would have been the guy I targeted with the TPE too. Instead of the load of crap that Houston got I would have offered Pritchard, the rights to Yam Mader, the huge TPE and a first rounder. No need for those young PGs with Brogdon coming in, since I assume Brad was deep into those negotiations and knew he could land him.

Should be pointed out that the Rockets received the Mavs 1st round pick and was a draft night trade.  We didn’t have a 1st to offer on draft night, and that may have been more important.
Maybe, but maybe they sweeten it with a future swaps. You never know if something like that tips the scales. Or if giving them Begarin instead of Mader might have.

« Reply #241 on: October 25, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Deandre Ayton doesn’t seem to have a great motor. Not really impressed with his play.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #242 on: October 25, 2022, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Christian Wood’s killing it for the Mavs.  He’s playing 24.5mpg and is giving Dallas 25pts/10rebs per game. They are going to be a tough out.
He was the guy I really wanted in the big TPE. Was very sad the Mavs acquired him.
We don't agree often Mo, but we do here. That would have been the guy I targeted with the TPE too. Instead of the load of crap that Houston got I would have offered Pritchard, the rights to Yam Mader, the huge TPE and a first rounder. No need for those young PGs with Brogdon coming in, since I assume Brad was deep into those negotiations and knew he could land him.

Should be pointed out that the Rockets received the Mavs 1st round pick and was a draft night trade.  We didn’t have a 1st to offer on draft night, and that may have been more important.
Maybe, but maybe they sweeten it with a future swaps. You never know if something like that tips the scales. Or if giving them Begarin instead of Mader might have.
The pick was the 26th pick.  It wasn't like it was good.

It was Wood for

Sterling Brown
Marquese Chriss
Boban Marjanovic
Trey Burke
26 (Wendell Moore Jr.)

The Rockets then immediately move the Moore pick for 29 (TyTy Washington), 2025 2nd, 2027 2nd. 

In September they traded Brown, Chriss, Burke, and Nwaba to the Thunder for Favors, Jerome, Maledon, Harkless, 2026 2nd, and cash

Boban is still on their roster but he has played in 2 games.  Washington hasn't played in a game yet this year for them.  The guys they got in the Thunder salary dump haven't played a single second. 

So they basically got Washington and 3 2nd's (and Boban who they clearly don't need) for Wood.

I think there is a strong argument that Pritchard + 53 alone may have been a better trade, but if Boston needed to throw in a lotto protected future 1st, that would have been a clearly better trade and that is without the Rockets knowing about the 2nd trade. 

Wood was the guy Stevens should have gone hard after.  He can play with either Horford or Rob, or just be the only big in a small ball lineup.  He is an excellent offensive player and rebounder.  His defense is poor (which is one of the reasons he comes off the bench so far in Dallas), but he is overall a plus player because he is so good offensively. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2022, 10:37:24 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 998

Maybe, but it’s well known that 1st round picks are more valuable than mid-tier prospects who’ve already been drafted.  We may like our guys like Begarin and Madar (I’m a huge fan of both), but my guess is the Rockets would have strongly preferred the pick they got.

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2022, 11:30:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
Refs are out of control with the T's this year. Paul got a T tonight for a similar minor arm movement like Tatum last night. They've also called several other T's. On power trips this year.

Perhaps if the refs were more consistent and less incompetent you'd have less whining. Or, if the league is so worried about limiting complaining then they need to change the offense-heavy focus of the refs that disallows any kind of aggressive D. The players are now conditioned for these soft rules and expect constant fouls on marginal contact, and the European players like Luka, Doncic, etc. all verified this dynamic with their recent comments about the NBA being a much easier league to score in due to the rules and officiating.

« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2022, 11:34:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
This Suns/Warriors game is getting testy… Feels like a playoff game.

Edit- Klay just got tossed after two techs. First career ejection.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2022, 04:02:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Refs are out of control with the T's this year. Paul got a T tonight for a similar minor arm movement like Tatum last night. They've also called several other T's. On power trips this year.

Perhaps if the refs were more consistent and less incompetent you'd have less whining. Or, if the league is so worried about limiting complaining then they need to change the offense-heavy focus of the refs that disallows any kind of aggressive D. The players are now conditioned for these soft rules and expect constant fouls on marginal contact, and the European players like Luka, Doncic, etc. all verified this dynamic with their recent comments about the NBA being a much easier league to score in due to the rules and officiating.
I get the need for better player discipline, but it is impossible to ask for that with how useless NBA officiating is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #247 on: October 26, 2022, 06:20:57 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419

I get the need for better player discipline, but it is impossible to ask for that with how useless NBA officiating is

NBA officials have never been good at adjusting  :angel: They’re determined to force the players to adjust.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
So which team is more dysfunctional, Nets or 76ers? Tough call…  :laugh:

« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
LA Lakers   ;D

« Reply #250 on: October 26, 2022, 08:53:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
LA Lakers   ;D

I knew someone was going to say that. Hahaha

They are up next. Westbrick isn’t playing so LA might actually win.  :-X

« Reply #251 on: October 26, 2022, 09:30:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Nash just got tossed. Officials are completely out of control this year. Never seen anything like it.

« Reply #252 on: October 26, 2022, 09:45:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nash just got tossed. Officials are completely out of control this year. Never seen anything like it.
It's totally out of control. Power tripping to a whole new level. Cracking down is all well and good, but I would like to remind the NBA that respect is difficult to win in the face of gross incompetence, as seen in NBA officiating.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #253 on: October 26, 2022, 09:58:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
It's totally out of control. Power tripping to a whole new level. Cracking down is all well and good, but I would like to remind the NBA that respect is difficult to win in the face of gross incompetence, as seen in NBA officiating.

100%. it’s so bad…

« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2022, 10:02:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770

100%. it’s so bad…

The problem becomes there's no real in-game recourse when the refs are just bad. In this Nets-Bucks game, there have been so many poor calls. Many of them involved Giannis, but not all of them.

I appreciate that the NBA has an appeal/review process for calls, and undoubtedly they rank the officials by their accuracy, but it seems like there needs to be more accountability.