Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 62576 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #375 on: August 08, 2022, 09:56:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741
I am really souring on KD just in general. I don't even care about the trade rumors, but this guy is doing everything in his power to prove he's a soft player. This guy literally told the Nets to do a bunch of things (sign Kyrie, fire Atkinson, etc.) and now he's upset again?? He's such a baby. Kyrie is the bigger nutcase but lets just say I can see why Kyrie and KD are probably good friends lol

That’s the modern American star.  Durant, Lebron, Kawhi, Paul George, Harden.

Let’s hope Tatum is more like Giannis as he ages.

Meh I think Giannis is all talk. If he didn't win a championship, he'll probably look at other options.

How can a guy be all talk when he 1) took less money to stay in Milwaukee; 2) signed a second extension before hitting free agency; and delivered a championship to the city that drafted him?

Yeah, Giannis is a class act all around. I wish more players nowadays were like him. He's a perfect ambassador for the league.

« Reply #376 on: August 08, 2022, 09:56:56 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
I been saying since Game 4 of the first round ended that KD would want out of the Kyrie circus.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #377 on: August 08, 2022, 09:58:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I am really souring on KD just in general. I don't even care about the trade rumors, but this guy is doing everything in his power to prove he's a soft player. This guy literally told the Nets to do a bunch of things (sign Kyrie, fire Atkinson, etc.) and now he's upset again?? He's such a baby. Kyrie is the bigger nutcase but lets just say I can see why Kyrie and KD are probably good friends lol

Meh I think Giannis is all talk. If he didn't win a championship, he'll probably look at other options.

How can a guy be all talk when he 1) took less money to stay in Milwaukee; 2) signed a second extension before hitting free agency; and delivered a championship to the city that drafted him?

Because the organization built a team that satisfied him?

« Reply #378 on: August 08, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah, Giannis is a class act all around. I wish more players nowadays were like him. He's a perfect ambassador for the league.

I prefer players to have control in their decisions rather than just stay loyal to a team that is not only incompetent but doesn't respect them.

« Reply #379 on: August 08, 2022, 10:10:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/ric-bucher-says-ben-simmons-left-nets-group-chat-after-team-asked-him-to-play-in-game-4-vs-celtics/

Funny if true. Get the sense that KD realizes how flighty and risky both Kyrie and Ben are, and his “Marks/Nash or me” demand is a way to still salvage his friendship with Kyrie while getting his way and to a more stable team.

« Reply #380 on: August 08, 2022, 10:24:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562

I prefer players to have control in their decisions rather than just stay loyal to a team that is not only incompetent but doesn't respect them.
Durant did have control and he chose to sign a 4 year deal with the Nets.  The Nets bent over backwards to satisfy his wishes.  Now he has his boxers in a bunch because things didn't work out like he wanted.  I really hope he gets screwed in this situation.  Be funny as heck if he ends up his career in Charlotte.   

« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I think the longevity of Horford needs to be factored in.  Perhaps we only have a two-year window, regardless of what happens with Durant / JB.

I don't think one can ignore Horford's age, but at the same time he's our 4th-best player when healthy?  5th?  Maybe 6th depending on what a healthier Brogdon looks like (if we get one)?  He's good, but I don't think he's window-defining.  Tatum and Brown are the primary structures of that window.  Smart is to a lesser degree, as is Rob, with Rob having a chance to overtake Smart with a season that shows last year was no fluke and he has fully recovered.  Horford is a 4th or 5th starter, and while I love him, championship teams usually rotate through players those without their window closing.

The window closes if JB walks, so if the Celtics think he's walking in two years, trading for Durant could make sense, because Durant opens the window wider over those same two years.  But Horford really shouldn't factor into the window discussion.  He's not foundational at this point in his career.

I think you’re underrating hoe difficult it will be to maintain our defensive identity and size advantage without Horford.  We just don’t have a viable replacement for him.
I mentioned this a week or so ago.  Horford is old, Smart is a smaller guard who is always hurt and is now entering year 9, Rob is always hurt, Brogdon and Gallo are on the wrong side of 30.  The team might really only have a 2 to 3 year window anyway even though Tatum and Brown are younger, it will be hard to build around them when they are 70% of the cap.

All the more reason to really go all in and acquire Durant.

So Marcus Smart is a “small guard” at 6’4”/220lbs? Also, Brogdon is still 29. I will have what you’re having.  :P
Marcus is not small for a point guard, but he spent a lot of time playing much larger SG's and SF's and as a result took a much larger beating than someone who would have played PG his entire career.  I don't think it is a coincidence that he had his healthiest season over the last several years playing mostly at PG, but even still he still missed 11 games.  I just don't think he is going to last all that much longer at or near his current level of play.  A season or two, for sure, but projecting Smart to be a DPOY type candidate 3 or more years down the line, seems like a very bad bet.  And that was the underlying point I was making, the team is set up to win now, not 5 years from now, and I just don't think the duo of Tatum and Brown is good enough to win now.  That is why I'd make a move.  I can understand why people wouldn't Durant, as he is a whiny baby on a lot of things, but he is also a darn good basketball player and would make Boston the runaway favorite to win the title over the next couple of seasons if Boston acquired him.  That is why I'd do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #382 on: August 08, 2022, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Durant did have control and he chose to sign a 4 year deal with the Nets.  The Nets bent over backwards to satisfy his wishes.  Now he has his boxers in a bunch because things didn't work out like he wanted.  I really hope he gets screwed in this situation.  Be funny as heck if he ends up his career in Charlotte.

But, Durant did no count on the Idiot Kyrie ruining his last few years in the NBA

« Reply #383 on: August 08, 2022, 10:35:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741

But, Durant did no count on the Idiot Kyrie ruining his last few years in the NBA

I mean, him an Kyrie were good friends. Kyrie talked him into going to Brooklyn.

« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2022, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I mean, him an Kyrie were good friends. Kyrie talked him into going to Brooklyn.

Agreed, but it happened--everything Kyrie touches turns to crap--look what he did to Boston.

« Reply #385 on: August 09, 2022, 12:12:26 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Exactly. He chose the Nets not once, but twice - when he signed as a free agent with Kyrie and again when he signed a 4 year extension. He's not getting an ounce of sympathy from me.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #386 on: August 09, 2022, 01:25:06 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
I think the longevity of Horford needs to be factored in.  Perhaps we only have a two-year window, regardless of what happens with Durant / JB.

I don't think one can ignore Horford's age, but at the same time he's our 4th-best player when healthy?  5th?  Maybe 6th depending on what a healthier Brogdon looks like (if we get one)?  He's good, but I don't think he's window-defining.  Tatum and Brown are the primary structures of that window.  Smart is to a lesser degree, as is Rob, with Rob having a chance to overtake Smart with a season that shows last year was no fluke and he has fully recovered.  Horford is a 4th or 5th starter, and while I love him, championship teams usually rotate through players those without their window closing.

The window closes if JB walks, so if the Celtics think he's walking in two years, trading for Durant could make sense, because Durant opens the window wider over those same two years.  But Horford really shouldn't factor into the window discussion.  He's not foundational at this point in his career.

I think you’re underrating hoe difficult it will be to maintain our defensive identity and size advantage without Horford.  We just don’t have a viable replacement for him.
I mentioned this a week or so ago.  Horford is old, Smart is a smaller guard who is always hurt and is now entering year 9, Rob is always hurt, Brogdon and Gallo are on the wrong side of 30.  The team might really only have a 2 to 3 year window anyway even though Tatum and Brown are younger, it will be hard to build around them when they are 70% of the cap.

So Marcus Smart is a “small guard” at 6’4”/220lbs? Also, Brogdon is still 29. I will have what you’re having.  :P
Marcus is not small for a point guard, but he spent a lot of time playing much larger SG's and SF's and as a result took a much larger beating than someone who would have played PG his entire career.  I don't think it is a coincidence that he had his healthiest season over the last several years playing mostly at PG, but even still he still missed 11 games.  I just don't think he is going to last all that much longer at or near his current level of play.  A season or two, for sure, but projecting Smart to be a DPOY type candidate 3 or more years down the line, seems like a very bad bet.  And that was the underlying point I was making, the team is set up to win now, not 5 years from now, and I just don't think the duo of Tatum and Brown is good enough to win now.  That is why I'd make a move.  I can understand why people wouldn't Durant, as he is a whiny baby on a lot of things, but he is also a darn good basketball player and would make Boston the runaway favorite to win the title over the next couple of seasons if Boston acquired him.  That is why I'd do it.

Which teams do you think are in a better position to win over the Celtics for the next 3-5 years? Who has a better 25 and under duo than JB/JT?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #387 on: August 09, 2022, 02:23:47 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The C's "Window" is really 1-2 years because of how important Al Horford is...No way we get to The Finals without him this past season...Yeah, make the trade for Durant if it's only Brown/White and picks....don't add anyone else. Hold the line at this initial offer.

« Reply #388 on: August 09, 2022, 02:59:59 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The C's "Window" is really 1-2 years because of how important Al Horford is...No way we get to The Finals without him this past season...Yeah, make the trade for Durant if it's only Brown/White and picks....don't add anyone else. Hold the line at this initial offer.

The important thing to get right, was the team culture. It will suck losing Al, but if the team continues to embrace defense like this, it should be able to bounce back.

Kind of feels like the opposite of Kyrie's final season, when we were stacked with young talent (even bench guys like Rozier and Morris were relatively young), but we had no culture.

« Reply #389 on: August 09, 2022, 06:23:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

Which teams do you think are in a better position to win over the Celtics for the next 3-5 years? Who has a better 25 and under duo than JB/JT?
I'd say Denver, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Oklahoma City,, and Minnesota are in the mix. Thankfully not nearly the teams in the East, though Giannis will still be awesome, but it will be hard for the Bucks to rebuild when their other guys age out. Raptors and Cavs certainly could be, but it depends a lot on how their 2nd year guys i.e. Mobley and Barnes, progress and if they reach their ceilings.  If LaMelo wasn't on the Hornets you could look at them, but Jordan will mess that up.  And you never really know how the uber young teams will progress.  Like Detroit or Houston may be awesome or they could blow. A lot can happen in 3 to 5 years, but it is always harder for a team with multiple max contracts  to fill in the pieces than one with rookie contract players. And of course that says nothing about the teams like the Lakers and Heat that always seem to land excellent players in free agency.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip