Author Topic: Rumour: Celtics (amongst many) Show Interest In Grant  (Read 6003 times)

Rumour: Celtics (amongst many) Show Interest In Grant
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:39:16 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Jerami Grant is being viewed by league personnel as the best player with the highest likelihood of being dealt prior to the Feb. 10 deadline.

Grant has attracted around a dozen suitors. With apologies to Myles Turner, "He's the grand prize of this deadline," one team strategist said.

The Lakers, Trail Blazers, Knicks, Jazz, Wizards, Celtics, Pacers, Timberwolves and Kings have all signaled interest in the 27-year-old.

The frenzy comes one year after Pistons general manager Troy Weaver swiftly declined any inquiry about Grant's availability after the forward surprisingly chose Detroit in free agency. Sources say Detroit is now asking for two first-round picks or one first-round pick plus a high-upside young player.

That's a similar valuation Aaron Gordon garnered last season, and the parallels are clear. Like Gordon at the time of his deal to Denver, Grant still has one year remaining on his contract following this season. Sources say Grant expects to sign a lucrative extension in the ballpark of four years, $112 million this offseason.

Grant is viewed as one of the few players on the trade block who can have a major impact on the postseason picture, and the Pistons seem to understand his value in this current market.

"He fits everywhere," the team strategist added.

"That's why nothing's been done yet," an assistant general manager said. "He's gonna have so many suitors; they're just gonna wait them all out."

Several league personnel view Washington as a favorite to land Grant. He hails from the D.C. area, his father Harvey played for the franchise from 1988-93 and again from 1996-98. The Wizards' first-year head coach Wes Unseld Jr. also coached Grant as an assistant with the Nuggets.

The Lakers' interest in Grant appears to be just that. A package of Talen Horton-Tucker and Kendrick Nunn likely won't pique Detroit's interest in this competitive market. Same for the Jazz, whose best offer featured Joe Ingles' expiring $12.4 million salary and a future first-round pick. Boston showed initial intrigue in Grant, but the Celtics were recently categorized to B/R as an unlikely destination.

Source: Jake Fischer (Bleacher Report)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:44:32 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rumour: Celtics (amongst many) Show Interest In Grant
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Grant has attracted around a dozen suitors. With apologies to Myles Turner, "He's the grand prize of this deadline," one team strategist said.

The Lakers, Trail Blazers, Knicks, Jazz, Wizards, Celtics, Pacers, Timberwolves and Kings have all signaled interest in the 27-year-old.

Man, I can't help think that he won't make much of a difference at his new team. That he is a stat padder on a bad team and will see a large drop off once he moves back to a good team.

Does not seem like much of a "grand prize" to me.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 01:56:02 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1711
What does Detroit want that we have?  Schroder and Horford have no particular value to them.  Smart probably doesn't either, given his contract.  A deal would probably start with Rob and a lot of draft capital.  Is Grant really worth that?

I'm not sure that he is.  Rob isn't untouchable (though I do value him quite a bit), but I just feel like Grant overlaps too much with the Jays.  Do we really need a third scoring wing who doesn't really create for others?  If I'm going to spend our best non-Jay asset, I'd prefer to target somebody with a more complementary skillset. 

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 01:59:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Sources say Grant expects to sign a lucrative extension in the ballpark of four years, $112 million this offseason.
So that is $28mil a year for Jerami Grant?

After the money for Tatum and Jaylen, do you have enough money leftover to finish off the roster? How far away from a title is Boston after that trade? How much talent does the team still need?

The team surely needs a 4th star to go along with those three forwards. What can it afford financially to add? $20mil per? $25mil per? $30mil per? $35mil per? How much can it afford for a 4th star level player? And still round out a serviceable supporting cast?

That is a lot of money for Jerami Grant. Not convinced he is worth it.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics can't trade for him, can they pick off a useful vet that needs to be put in a deal for cap purposes that the Pistons do not want or need?

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:09:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What does Detroit want that we have?  Schroder and Horford have no particular value to them.  Smart probably doesn't either, given his contract.  A deal would probably start with Rob and a lot of draft capital.  Is Grant really worth that?

I'm not sure that he is.  Rob isn't untouchable (though I do value him quite a bit), but I just feel like Grant overlaps too much with the Jays.  Do we really need a third scoring wing who doesn't really create for others?  If I'm going to spend our best non-Jay asset, I'd prefer to target somebody with a more complementary skillset.

Well, the article stated that 2 1sts would apparently do it, so no need to trade anything of value. I suppose a trade of Horford and 2 1sts would be the most reasonable from our side. Of course DET doesn't really value Horford, but they can just waive him at the end of the year. Turning Horford into Grant would be pretty desirable form our point of view.

I know getting a 1st for Schroder might be far-fetched, but it would be great if we could only lose one 1st in a bigger deal involving Horford and Schroder for Grant.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
If the Celtics trade for Grant, that's their big 3 and, essentially, their team. You'd better hope that collection of players is good enough to compete with, to take an example, KD/Harden/Irving, because you're essentially locked in at that point.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Well, the article stated that 2 1sts would apparently do it, so no need to trade anything of value. I suppose a trade of Horford and 2 1sts would be the most reasonable from our side. Of course DET doesn't really value Horford, but they can just waive him at the end of the year. Turning Horford into Grant would be pretty desirable form our point of view.

I know getting a 1st for Schroder might be far-fetched, but it would be great if we could only lose one 1st in a bigger deal involving Horford and Schroder for Grant.

In a trade for Jerami Grant, I'd like to keep Horford for a subsequent trade to bring a 4th star. Someone like CJ McCollum or something like that. Anyway, a 4th guy.

So a trade around Josh Richardson and a cap makeweight (ah perfect, Juancho Hernangomez) would make sense. Or send Smart out in a larger 3 team deal.

We need to be able to get that 4th guy and Horford's big contract would be useful to making that happen - to matching salaries. 

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 02:29:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
If the Celtics trade for Grant, that's their big 3 and, essentially, their team. You'd better hope that collection of players is good enough to compete with, to take an example, KD/Harden/Irving, because you're essentially locked in at that point.
You gotta get a 4th guy.

Jerami Grant isn't good enough.

A trio of Tatum, Jaylen and Jerami isn't good enough.

It has to be a Big 4. Not a Big 3.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Sources say Grant expects to sign a lucrative extension in the ballpark of four years, $112 million this offseason.
So that is $28mil a year for Jerami Grant?

After the money for Tatum and Jaylen, do you have enough money leftover to finish off the roster? How far away from a title is Boston after that trade? How much talent does the team still need?

The team surely needs a 4th star to go along with those three forwards. What can it afford financially to add? $20mil per? $25mil per? $30mil per? $35mil per? How much can it afford for a 4th star level player? And still round out a serviceable supporting cast?

That is a lot of money for Jerami Grant. Not convinced he is worth it.

That would be an extension that starts in 2023-2024 season at $25.1 million, and with raises over 4 years has an AAV of $28.1 million or so.  Next year he’ll be making just shy of $21 million.  The cap (and tax) are likely to be near 20% higher in year 1 of his extension relative to now, with an even larger jump possible in the middle of his contract when a new media deal and CBA both come into play.  It’s a lot of money, but it’s probably not going to derail the Celtics finances.  For example, suppose the C’s make that deal for Horford and picks.  The C’s would have 10 players under contract with about $14 million left under the hard cap, and thus room to make a signing or two in free agency that wasn’t simply minimum salary players.

Jerami Grant isn’t my favorite player — I think he’s a stat-padder that’s somewhere between #4-6 on a contender. But if you felt he was a #3 player, that salary isn’t ridiculous and wouldn’t limit your ability to afford a solid rotation around him when added to Tatum and Brown.  I wouldn’t give two firsts for him tho.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 02:42:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah.  It's too bad that Horford isn't playing all that well offensively this year.  It would be great if he had any sort of positive trade value, but I don't think he does.

BOS trades:  Horford, Schroder, two lottery-protected #1s
BOS receives:  Grant, KO, DAL #2

DET trades:  Grant, KO
DET receives:  Horford, two lottery-protected BOS #1s

DAL trades:  Trade exception, 2022 #2
DAL receives:  Schroder

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 02:51:14 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Yeah, I tend to agree that Grant is a little bit of fools gold.  For some context, I compared his last 3 seasons (1 Denver, 2 Detroit) to the last 3 seasons for Collins:

Grant:     17.0 pts / 4.1 rebs / 2.0 asst / 44.2 fg% / 36.0 3p%
Collins:    18.7 pts / 8.3 rebs / 1.5 asst / 56.0 fg% / 40.9 3p%

Grant has never averaged more than 5 rebs per game.  He is good, and is a weapon, but  I am not sure he is what we need considering his contract and the likely required extension.

It is cool that his Dad (Harvey Grant) was an NBA player as well as his uncle, Harvey's identical twin Horace Grant.  Both those guys were more blue collar.  We need a little more blue collar in our PF for that kind of commitment.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not sure I would call Grant a stat padder. Other than PPG, his stats aren't all that impressive. Very average scoring efficiency but he does get to the line as much Tatum and shoots it there at 84%.

Not the 3rd scorer type this team needs. His three point shooting and efficiency aren't good enough and he clearly isn't the type of guy to keep the ball moving or create for others. He is also a below average rebounder for his size.

Pass.

If I'm dropping 2 firsts for a guy to put into that stretch 4/power swing role, it's going to be on Harrison Barnes.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
I don't think we need another 6"-6" to 6'-8" wing making that much money (or what he reportedly wants in the next contract) unless it is Kawai or someone like that.  It handicaps us from getting a really good point guard / or another big to replace Horford eventually.  If we are going to pay that much, find a way to get Siakam from the Raptors, or someone else that has shown something more than empty points on a terrible team.  I just don't see Grant being a good fit for the C's unless we move Tatum or Brown.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 03:17:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I'd be more interested in Harrison Barnes, who would probably cost less.  Isn't he rumored to be on trading block?