Author Topic: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?  (Read 20846 times)

Re: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2021, 06:59:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You don’t want ANY player ….Pat Riley let go on purpose …..

Old Pat is a hard you know what ,   He gets rid of no talent , complaining,  only somebody like Lebron can get away with that on Riley’s teams . And I’m sure they were at odds . But only Players like MJ, Lebron are worth the trouble …….

I repeat Riley doesn’t keep players that don’t produce like he wants ….there are reasons they aren’t on the heat anymore …meaning he doesn’t see a title coming with guys like KO ….junk players.
He traded Richardson to acquire Butler.  Let's not pretend he just let Richardson go in free agency or something.  That isn't the case.  He upgraded talent.

He did.  Then Philly and Dallas gave up on him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2021, 08:15:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Old Pat is a hard you know what ,   He gets rid of no talent , complaining,  only somebody like Lebron can get away with that on Riley’s teams . And I’m sure they were at odds . But only Players like MJ, Lebron are worth the trouble …….

I repeat Riley doesn’t keep players that don’t produce like he wants ….there are reasons they aren’t on the heat anymore …meaning he doesn’t see a title coming with guys like KO ….junk players.
He traded Richardson to acquire Butler.  Let's not pretend he just let Richardson go in free agency or something.  That isn't the case.  He upgraded talent.

Dallas did, Philly did not.  They swapped him for one of the best shooters in the league. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891

Dallas did, Philly did not.  They swapped him for one of the best shooters in the league.

I thought the "why" in this debate was resolved several pages ago.  Richardson had a player option for this season.  In order to be traded, he had to pick up that option.  Otherwise, he would be a UFA.  He didn't want to pick up the option just to be traded so he used that leverage to get another year, at a pretty fair price, essentially enabling the trade to go through.  Dallas got Moses Brown.  It was really more of a sign and trade than a extension if you think about it.  Moses Brown has hardly played but is averaging 36 pts per 36 min (this is a joke).

Now as to Josh Richardson the player, on Philly and Dallas, he was a starter.  For us, he is coming off the bench.  Different roles, different expectations.  I think he is going to be fine and I am not worried about the contract. 

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I thought the "why" in this debate was resolved several pages ago.  Richardson had a player option for this season.  In order to be traded, he had to pick up that option.  Otherwise, he would be a UFA.  He didn't want to pick up the option just to be traded so he used that leverage to get another year, at a pretty fair price, essentially enabling the trade to go through.  Dallas got Moses Brown.  It was really more of a sign and trade than a extension if you think about it.  Moses Brown has hardly played but is averaging 36 pts per 36 min (this is a joke).

Now as to Josh Richardson the player, on Philly and Dallas, he was a starter.  For us, he is coming off the bench.  Different roles, different expectations.  I think he is going to be fine and I am not worried about the contract.

That’s speculation that really doesn’t make a lot of sense. There was no way that Richardson was ever going to decline his option in this market. Otherwise, he would have been playing for somewhere between the vet minimum and the taxpayer MLE.

Richardson had no leverage.  Dallas was desperately hoping he would decline his option in all likelihood. They were hoping to clear Space, which is why they dumped him on us in the first place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2021, 12:06:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Got a game from Richardson that has to be more in line with what they thought he would be.

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2021, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Richardson did look good last night.

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He did.  His previous games were goose eggs, so hopefully he starts showing some positive consistency.

« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2021, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He did.  His previous games were goose eggs, so hopefully he starts showing some positive consistency.
If he can continue shooting 40% from 3 with the defence he plays I'd be happy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2021, 05:50:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

His first game he was 4-for-4 from deep, and has been 2-for-11 since.  Hopefully he gets his outside shot going more frequently.

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His first game he was 4-for-4 from deep, and has been 2-for-11 since.  Hopefully he gets his outside shot going more frequently.
Yeah, I hope so. The back-to-back 0 point games were really uninspiring. He won't play 37 minutes too often, but even if he hovers around 12PPG (which he has the ability to) I'd be happy.

I am still curious as to why we extended him so early
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Back to back solid games from Richardson and he has stepped up with more of a load in Brown's absence. 

« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2021, 10:42:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501
Back to back solid games from Richardson and he has stepped up with more of a load in Brown's absence.

Indeed. His 3pt shooting can be sporadic, but his effort sure isn’t. Plays hard all the time. Underrated defender too.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2021, 11:04:33 PM »

Kiorrik

20 games guys.

Twenny.

« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Indeed. His 3pt shooting can be sporadic, but his effort sure isn’t. Plays hard all the time. Underrated defender too.

After tonight he’s shooting .357 from 3, which is above the current league average.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2021, 11:20:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
Never got the hate on him. If I remember correctly, his preseason was shaky, but he's been good to my eyes all season long.