Author Topic: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?  (Read 20830 times)

Re: Why did we extend Josh Richardson?
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2021, 11:27:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
Back to back solid games from Richardson and he has stepped up with more of a load in Brown's absence.

I don’t have an issue with him being on the roster. Extending him was still stupid.

Gives you at worst a cost controlled trade asset we wouldn't otherwise have, what's stupid about it?

Because he’s not really a trade asset.

A cost controlled rotation player is always a trade asset.

I think you have to actually be good to be an asset. The Mavs just literally gave him away for nothing, and its not like he's been much better for the c's this year. He's not dead weight per se, but you arent getting anything of value for him I don't think. He's neutral to slightly negative value. I think the extension was a gamble that he'd play better, he still might, but so far he hasnt. Its not a disaster because its one extra year, but still.

« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2021, 11:37:44 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Back to back solid games from Richardson and he has stepped up with more of a load in Brown's absence.

I don’t have an issue with him being on the roster. Extending him was still stupid.

Gives you at worst a cost controlled trade asset we wouldn't otherwise have, what's stupid about it?

I think you have to actually be good to be an asset. The Mavs just literally gave him away for nothing, and its not like he's been much better for the c's this year. He's not dead weight per se, but you arent getting anything of value for him I don't think. He's neutral to slightly negative value. I think the extension was a gamble that he'd play better, he still might, but so far he hasnt. Its not a disaster because its one extra year, but still.

A trade asset doesn't mean that he's someone you trade by himself to get value in return. You're overthinking it. He's just a contract that can be used in a trade in whatever form it takes while we are above the cap with limited abilities to match salaries. That the contract belongs to a player that is useful just makes it a more worthwhile investment. If nothing happens, then you have a rotation player for 1 more year. In turn, he can also give you more willingness to trade other players that may have more value to other teams too. Not many downsides to it to flat-out call it stupid.

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

Richardson was not going to exercise his player option to stay in Dallas as he didn't like playing with Doncic.  He only exercised the option to get traded to Boston, so Dallas got a TPE and Brown for a guy that was going to leave them anyway. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Richardson was not going to exercise his player option to stay in Dallas as he didn't like playing with Doncic.  He only exercised the option to get traded to Boston, so Dallas got a TPE and Brown for a guy that was going to leave them anyway.

That’s nonsense.  He wasn’t going to opt out, because nobody was going to give him $9 million. 

But, by all means:  prove your case.  Show me evidence he was going to opt out.  A quote from him, his agent, a reliable reporter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That’s nonsense.  He wasn’t going to opt out, because nobody was going to give him $9 million. 

But, by all means:  prove your case.  Show me evidence he was going to opt out.  A quote from him, his agent, a reliable reporter.
How about Shams?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1421261610367209475

The Dallas Mavericks are finalizing trading G/F Josh Richardson to the Boston Celtics, sources tell. Richardson is exercising his $11.6 million player option for the 2021-22 season for the deal.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-celtics-acquire-josh-001639800.html

Richardson needs to opt in to be traded, but if he does so before the new league year begins Monday, his $10.8 million salary will fit the remainder of the Gordon Hayward traded player exception.

So he was traded to Boston before he even opted in.  If it was such a given he was going to opt in, why did he wait until after the trade was announced to do it?  Maybe he would have opted in anyway, but the timeline definitely supports the notion that he wasn't automatically going to opt in, especially if it meant Dallas might trade him to a place he didn't want to be.  He waited until they found a trading partner he was ok with and then opted in.

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2021, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

How about Shams?

The Dallas Mavericks are finalizing trading G/F Josh Richardson to the Boston Celtics, sources tell. Richardson is exercising his $11.6 million player option for the 2021-22 season for the deal.

Richardson needs to opt in to be traded, but if he does so before the new league year begins Monday, his $10.8 million salary will fit the remainder of the Gordon Hayward traded player exception.

So he was traded to Boston before he even opted in.  If it was such a given he was going to opt in, why did he wait until after the trade was announced to do it?  Maybe he would have opted in anyway, but the timeline definitely supports the notion that he wasn't automatically going to opt in, especially if it meant Dallas might trade him to a place he didn't want to be.  He waited until they found a trading partner he was ok with and then opted in.

Um, yeah.  Like I said, where does it ever show that there was a realistic option of him opting out?  I’m happy to wait, because it doesn’t exist.  No team was paying Richardson double the Taxpayer MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580

How about Shams?

Richardson was 100% absolutely going to take his option, its really not even a question. If he wasn't going to take the option the Mavs wouldn't have had to do the deal with the Celtics in the first place, they would have just let Richardson leave and not have had to take back Moses Brown's money.

No, what happened was Richardson was gonna opt in either way. The Mavs found a deal with the C's that they made before the new league year turned over allowing the c's to use their TPE by absorbing Richardson's salary for that year.

« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2021, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How about Shams?

Richardson was 100% absolutely going to take his option, its really not even a question. If he wasn't going to take the option the Mavs wouldn't have had to do the deal with the Celtics in the first place, they would have just let Richardson leave and not have had to take back Moses Brown's money.

No, what happened was Richardson was gonna opt in either way. The Mavs found a deal with the C's that they made before the new league year turned over allowing the c's to use their TPE by absorbing Richardson's salary for that year.
They wanted Brown.  The initial trade announced didn't include Brown, he was added at Dallas' request because they wanted him.

« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How about Shams?

Um, yeah.  Like I said, where does it ever show that there was a realistic option of him opting out?  I’m happy to wait, because it doesn’t exist.  No team was paying Richardson double the Taxpayer MLE.
Shams flat out said that Richardson exercised his option for the trade.  If he was 100% guaranteed no matter what to exercise it, then why was he waiting to exercise it.  He could have exercised it at any time, but waited until the Boston trade was finalized to do so.  That isn't the action of someone that is for sure going to exercise it.  That sounds a lot more like someone waiting to see where he is going to end up before making a determination. 

And you are probably right that no team was going to pay him double the taxpayer MLE, but since when does that matter.  He might find it better to sign for 2 years, 20 million (i.e, the regular MLE) or something like that and pick where he wants to play rather than allow Dallas to trade him to some place he doesn't want to go.  Players do that all of the time.  Players give up options for more long term security and location all of the time.

« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

How about Shams?

Shams flat out said that Richardson exercised his option for the trade.  If he was 100% guaranteed no matter what to exercise it, then why was he waiting to exercise it.  He could have exercised it at any time, but waited until the Boston trade was finalized to do so.  That isn't the action of someone that is for sure going to exercise it.  That sounds a lot more like someone waiting to see where he is going to end up before making a determination. 

And you are probably right that no team was going to pay him double the taxpayer MLE, but since when does that matter.  He might find it better to sign for 2 years, 20 million (i.e, the regular MLE) or something like that and pick where he wants to play rather than allow Dallas to trade him to some place he doesn't want to go.  Players do that all of the time.  Players give up options for more long term security and location all of the time.

Which team would have offered that contract?

The reason you are having a hard time finding reports of Richardson opting out are because that was in no way a possibility. Why do you think Dallas was trying to trade him? The thing they wanted more than anything in the world was for him to opt out.

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2021, 05:35:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How about Shams?

Which team would have offered that contract?

The reason you are having a hard time finding reports of Richardson opting out are because that was in no way a possibility. Why do you think Dallas was trying to trade him? The thing they wanted more than anything in the world was for him to opt out.
Dallas wanted to trade him because he didn't fit the role they needed him to play and he didn't fit well with Doncic.  Why did Boston want to acquire him?  Because they thought he could fill the role they wanted him to play and his contract was good enough. 

I have no idea what was on the market for him, but Boston was willing to take on his contract and there may have been other teams willing to do so as well. 

Here is a report that says he may be able to earn a similar salary, but his best course of action was to take the option and become a free agent in 2022 to see if he could play his way to more money next summer. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/rumor-nba-trade-rumors-dallas-mavericks-put-josh-richardson-trading-block

A change of scenery could help Josh Richardson, but entering free agency might not be his best course of action. He may be able to earn a similar salary if he becomes a free agent now, but he'd be better off proving his value this year to attract larger bids for his services next season.

Here is an trade proposal article talking about Richardson opting out if a team like New Orleans wanted to acquire him

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/07/14/nba-rumors-dallas-mavericks-new-orleans-pelicans-sign-and-trade-lonzo-ball/2/

If Richardson does not want to go to New Orleans, he could very well opt out of his contract ahead of this trade being made and become an unrestricted free agent, meaning that the Mavericks could not use him as leverage in trade talks. The first order of business would be getting Josh Richardson to agree to opt into his contract for the 2021-22 season,

Here is an article from December 2020 in which his agent said he would have declined the option if Philly didn't trade him.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/agent-josh-richardson-encouraged-76ers-to-trade-him/

“When Josh was traded [by Miami] to Philadelphia, it was an awkward fit for him just because of the composition of the team,” Duffy says of the sign-and-trade that sent Jimmy Butler from Philadelphia to Miami. “Josh has an opt-out after this year, so Erik and I were pretty candid with Philly that it was pretty unlikely he’d return, ‘so maybe you should have discussions.’”

Obviously he didn't play all that well in Dallas, so who knows what might have happened.  But, if as you contend, he was for sure going to opt in, then why didn't he do it much earlier in the process. He waited until Boston was set to acquire him because he actually wanted to play in Boston. 

« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2021, 08:52:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Now 15 games in, Richardson has played 12 all off the bench

24.4 mpg, 8.6 ppg (7.1 FGA), 3.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg, 0.9 tpg, 2.0 fpg, 58.3% 2PT, 32.4% 3PT, 84.6% FT for eFG% 54.1 and TS% 56.8

WS 0.6, WS/48 0.094, BPM -1.3, VORP 0.1

The Knicks are also 15 games in, Fournier has started all 15

28.3 mpg, 12.2 ppg (11.0 FGA), 3.1 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.1 tpg, 1.5 fpg, 47.9% 2PT, 35.1% 3PT, 76.2% FT for eFG% 50.6 and TS% 52.5

WS 0.5, WS/48 0.060, BPM -2.7, VORP -0.1

I know it wasn't necessarily an either or with Richardson and Fournier, but there were only so many available minutes to be had, so in many ways it was.  And it is still not a large sample size, but it is a lot better sample size than just a couple of games and so far Richardson has been the better player overall and that doesn't even account for his much better contract.  So thus far, Stevens made the correct decision in letting Fournier walk and acquiring Richardson. 

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2021, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

24.4 mpg, 8.6 ppg (7.1 FGA), 3.0 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.7 bpg, 0.9 tpg, 2.0 fpg, 58.3% 2PT, 32.4% 3PT, 84.6% FT for eFG% 54.1 and TS% 56.8

28.3 mpg, 12.2 ppg (11.0 FGA), 3.1 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.1 tpg, 1.5 fpg, 47.9% 2PT, 35.1% 3PT, 76.2% FT for eFG% 50.6 and TS% 52.5

I know it wasn't necessarily an either or with Richardson and Fournier, but there were only so many available minutes to be had, so in many ways it was.  And it is still not a large sample size, but it is a lot better sample size than just a couple of games and so far Richardson has been the better player overall and that doesn't even account for his much better contract.  So thus far, Stevens made the correct decision in letting Fournier walk and acquiring Richardson.

If the other players who should be shooting better from three would actually shoot better, would we be as focused on Richardson weak outside shot?   Because in my mind, that is the only piece of his game that causes issues.   

« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

It was never about Fournier or Richardson. Problem is They could have had Richardson and kept Fournier if they wanted too. It came down to Smart vs Fournier and they decided to pay Smart instead which is a disaster so far.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:16:31 AM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2021, 09:39:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If the other players who should be shooting better from three would actually shoot better, would we be as focused on Richardson weak outside shot?   Because in my mind, that is the only piece of his game that causes issues.

I think his overall scoring rate is poor, as well.  We need somebody on the bench to step up.