Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 582600 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #630 on: November 22, 2021, 08:14:24 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
See if NBA suspends James for a game..I say they wont

He should be but my guess is they'll fine him.  Their next game is against the Knicks on TNT.

« Reply #631 on: November 22, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/basketball/nba/player/30585/michael-porter-jr

MPJ might have a season ending surgery. This after Denver gave him a max contract during the summer. Wow.

« Reply #632 on: November 22, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416

LeBum should get suspended for a game, he basically punched Stewart in the face when the play was effectively over, by swinging his arm. Didn't look malicious but certainly unnecessary.

But Stewart needs to get suspended for a game too...repeatedly trying to charge LeBum and the Fakers and making the situation much worse than it should have been...sure you got hit in the head but it's not the playground, that's what the refs are there for. Trying to fight someone who had already done the wrong thing and was probably going to get punished isn't the way to deal with it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #633 on: November 22, 2021, 09:59:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293

LeBum should get suspended for a game, he basically punched Stewart in the face when the play was effectively over, by swinging his arm. Didn't look malicious but certainly unnecessary.

But Stewart needs to get suspended for a game too...repeatedly trying to charge LeBum and the Fakers and making the situation much worse than it should have been...sure you got hit in the head but it's not the playground, that's what the refs are there for. Trying to fight someone who had already done the wrong thing and was probably going to get punished isn't the way to deal with it.

Stewart's punishment should be more than Lebron's, in my opinion. Lebron's body language looked like he was checking to see if Stewart was ok at first. Stewart was understandably mad, but after a few minutes of everyone trying to cool him, he needed to cool it. Really Lebron should've only got a flagrant 2 and ejected. Stewart should miss a game.

« Reply #634 on: November 22, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
LeBron won't get suspended bcuz it's LeBron.

Stewart probably get 3 game suspension for shoving coaches/staff trying to deescalate situation, and trying to go after another player.

That's how the NBA works, gotta protect their superstars.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #635 on: November 22, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

Stewart's punishment should be more than Lebron's, in my opinion. Lebron's body language looked like he was checking to see if Stewart was ok at first. Stewart was understandably mad, but after a few minutes of everyone trying to cool him, he needed to cool it. Really Lebron should've only got a flagrant 2 and ejected. Stewart should miss a game.

Agreed. I get that he's a big enough dude that he doesn't get hit in the face too often, but there's a difference between being mad and flipping your lid, particularly at work.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #636 on: November 22, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Agreed. I get that he's a big enough dude that he doesn't get hit in the face too often, but there's a difference between being mad and flipping your lid, particularly at work.

I think it'll depend how injured Stewart winds up being.  Was it a cut?  He's getting a big suspension.  Broke his eye socket?  Less so.  Caused permanent sight damage?  Was he concussed and thus not fully accountable for his actions?  Extreme agitation is sometimes a symptom of shock.

« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

James was correctly given a flagrant 2, which was the first one he has ever received in his 19 years, which is also why I don't think he gets suspended.  I mean this isn't a guy that has a history of doing things like this.  Given he was ejected and missed the rest of the game, I don't think he gets suspended.  Stewart should get at least 1 additional game if not 2.  He really escalated the situation and it was solely after the whistle (so no argument at all it was a basketball play).  The league needs to send a message on this sort of thing and Stewart is the one that made it so much worse so that is the message the league needs to send i.e. don't do stuff after the whistle.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #638 on: November 22, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
NBA isn’t going to punish their money cow like he should be .   TV rating would pummel , tv executive would be on phone to Silver crewing his butt.  A billion Lakers fans turn tv off , knowing Lakers can t beat nobody without Bron or Davis playing big minutes   The punishments were reversed .  NBA can screw Pistons an get away with it .

« Reply #639 on: November 22, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I love it! Sign this guy up as a Celtic!

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1462579853870264320

Seriously?

The way Stewart behaved was embarrassing! He pushed over his own coaches (hard), then pretended to relax so they would let you go, just so you could run at LeBron again? If you are Dwane Casey how can you trust Stewart anymore?

If you are the Pistons owner, you've finally shaken off the 'thug' label with sponsors ect. now Stewart will allow the media to bring up a dead subject.

If Stewart was going to do something, he had ample time to do it when him and LeBron were inches away from each other mouthing off...but he didn't.

Finally and most importantly, he lost Detroit the game pure and simple.

He's an idiot.

Ed I respect you as a poster a lot so don’t want to be too harsh with you here, but your take that Stewart lost them this game seems absolutely insane. In addition to getting the best or second best player on the floor ejected in exchange for himself (a role player) he also even got his team an extra foul shot out of the exchange cause it was a flagrant and a tech against lakers versus two techs against Detroit. If you have Detroit the chance of having Stewart and Lebron scratched from a game they would jump at the chance every time. How did this cost them the game?

I watched the 4th quarter and the incident fired up the Lakers.

Westbrook was p---ed off and because LeBron was tossed, he was able to dominate the ball like in Oklahoma...he scored 15 points in the 4th quarter. Without Stewart guarding Davis, he had a comfortable 10 points (100%).

The Lakers as a team shot 26% in the 3rd quarter...in the 4th they shot 67%.

Westbrook was hitting pull up jumpers and three pointers for a lot of his buckets. The same shots he has bricked most of the season and will continue to brick the rest of the season. Also the lakers actually played worse after the incident falling being by their largest deficit of the game. It wasn’t until the 4th quarter like 40 minutes later in real time and 10 minutes of game time they played better. This theory just doesn’t make much sense.

Edit you realize this incident didn’t happen at end of third right? There was 9:18 left. I don’t get how their shooting percentage in third shows anything.

Yes I know, Westbrook was taken out for Rondo with 6 minutes left in the 3rd to compose himself after the ejections.

But Westbrook was given control of the team and the ball in the 4th and went on a rampage, this would not have happened if LeBron was in the game. Like i alluded to earlier Stewart was doing a solid job defending Davis and without him they have no defensive back ups.

Although Stewart is only a role player, he is one of their most important players because they have no other rim protectors.

Ed while some of these points are reasonable. You are still basically arguing that stewart is more important in this matchup to the pistons than Lebron is to the lakers. That is a pretty tough sell. It also seems to ignoring the fact that the pistons outplayed the lakers for 8 minutes of game time after the fight. This isn’t a life changing argument for me. I’m bummed the lakers won the game regardless. Tp for the discussion.

Agreed on the Lakers winning, agree to disagree on the LeBron/Stewart incident haha.

That's what I love abut you celticsclay, you can have a lively debate and will always keep it civil and based on facts.

TP back at you.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

MPJ might have a season ending surgery. This after Denver gave him a max contract during the summer. Wow.

I know most were shocked there were no injury provisions in MPJ's contract, similar to Embiid.

If this injury is related to his chronic issues, this could end Denver's run as a contender, before it even began.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #641 on: November 22, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

I know most were shocked there were no injury provisions in MPJ's contract, similar to Embiid.

If this injury is related to his chronic issues, this could end Denver's run as a contender, before it even began.

Can they get an injured player exception for him? I believe this has happened in the past, but I don’t know if it has to be for more than one season of missed time. I would agree that this is a major setback to them, however, like giannis, durant or Lebron (maybe Lebron up until this season) jokic is so good he maybe could win with role players and murray. Maybe they trade murray for simmons? (Would dump Gordon elsewhere) I also have to imagine a lot of players would like to play with jokic cause he will make them look great with his passing and also denver is a cool city

« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

Can they get an injured player exception for him? I believe this has happened in the past, but I don’t know if it has to be for more than one season of missed time. I would agree that this is a major setback to them, however, like giannis, durant or Lebron (maybe Lebron up until this season) jokic is so good he maybe could win with role players and murray. Maybe they trade murray for simmons? (Would dump Gordon elsewhere) I also have to imagine a lot of players would like to play with jokic cause he will make them look great with his passing and also denver is a cool city

They can get a DPE of around $10 million if a doctor deems it likely he will be out through the end of the year (playoffs included I believe).  Even if he returns, they could still use the DPE/using it wouldn't prevent him from returning.  That said, the Nuggets are subject to the hard cap this year and only have $4-5 million in clearance, so they likely wouldn't be able to use all of DPE if they were granted one.

« Reply #643 on: November 22, 2021, 01:53:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

When I saw the article, I was also thinking that maybe they should revisit Simmons.  Not sure what that trade might look like and I think they could go multiple ways depending on what Philly was thinking.

Simmons, Curry for Murray, Gordon

Gordon, MPJ, Morris for Simmons

I think either of those makes sense for both teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #644 on: November 22, 2021, 02:19:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
Had a weird thought today and this is probably the best place for it -- didn't want to start a new thread.

With the new rule changes that give more advantage to defensive players and allow more physical defense, I think we may swing back (were we ever completely away from it?) to a big man league. Players like Giannis, Embiid, and Jokic will become even more valuable than they currently are. Big men who can get reliable looks in the post will become a staple of NBA offenses again.

I expect this to take a few years, and it will never go completely back to the way it was before (thank goodness), but great offenses will stretch the floor out past the three point line and pound you inside with post play, rather than stretch and drive. The entry post pass will become more of an important skill set, and offenses with quick actions, backcuts, etc. like the Warriors will take root more and more.

Any time a rule change happens, the league reinvents itself and the best strategies/players for that rule set eventually rises to the top. These rules clearly take away some of the benefit of driving to the rim as it is more difficult to get foul calls. How will teams get reliable looks in the paint? It has to be players with a variety of reliable post moves that can get good looks inside.