Author Topic: Celtics free agent options  (Read 11082 times)

Re: Celtics free agent options
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 06:48:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Rose/ Pritchard/Madar
Brown/ Langford/ Reddick
Tatum / Nesmith / 45* or vet min (Ariza ?)
Barnes / Parker / Grant
Horford / Timelord / Brown

This is a very good and complemntary team right now with a big shakeup, but still room for our young guys coming fro the bench and some vet and great profesionals also mentoring (Horford, Rose,Reddick, Ariza, Parker).
The big advantage of this team is that Rose and Barnes would be 2 years contract, like Horford, with only Timelord extension question next year, but a lot of room for 2023 FA (or even next one if wanted). Without extending Fournier or Smart which could finish our FA hopes.
I think those guys are nice short term players but you sacrifice the potential of signing Beal in 2022. I see Fournier as a easy sign and still be able to move in 2022 off season if Beal wants to sign or in a actual Beal S&T. Those other guys won't be easy to move once their numbers decline further and Wizards will probably ask a second team to accept them costing C's picks. So again for me it's Fournier or pass on FA.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 07:34:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lonzo Ball would be perfect for this team: size, defense, pass-first, can hit the 3.

We need to get rid of a lot of dead weight and get some real NBA players. Get rid of Waters, G. Williams, Yabusele, Edwards. As much as I love Tacko not sure he will ever play any serious minutes.

Resign Fournier & Jabari.

Sure I would love to add a JJ Redick at minimum for a bench scorer.

We need to trade TT to open up the position and get rid of his salary.
You’re the second guy I’ve seen mention Yabu as dead weight on this roster, even though he hasn’t been here for years. What’s going on?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »

Offline fmbl24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Lonzo Ball would be perfect for this team: size, defense, pass-first, can hit the 3.

We need to get rid of a lot of dead weight and get some real NBA players. Get rid of Waters, G. Williams, Yabusele, Edwards. As much as I love Tacko not sure he will ever play any serious minutes.

Resign Fournier & Jabari.

Sure I would love to add a JJ Redick at minimum for a bench scorer.

We need to trade TT to open up the position and get rid of his salary.
You’re the second guy I’ve seen mention Yabu as dead weight on this roster, even though he hasn’t been here for years. What’s going on?

People are looking at Hoopshype the wrong way is my guess

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
There is really no scenario where we are going to be under the cap which means that we have no "room" to sign any free agents through a conventional signing (other than resigning our own such as Fournier).  We have the MLE and we can do sign and trades.  Sign and Trades could involve Celtics players or use of a TPE but sign and trades result in us being hard capped (as many have pointed out) so we are limited. but there are tiers of things we can do.

Our biggest need is a PF (or a swing who can legitimately play PF).  If we are going to do any kind of a sign and trade for an upper'ish tier FA, to me it should be for a PF.  Markannen, Collins, someone like that.  The salary for these types of players will exceed any TPEs we have (the biggest is $11M) so this is going to require sending out Smart and Thompson and possibly a young player or pick.  That is giving up a lot plus ending up hard capped.  If we are going to do something like this, it better be for a really good player who fills a major need.

The next tier is to S&T for someone who could fit in a TPE (up to $11M) with potentially picks added (or young players, finagled as separate deals).  That does not buy you all that much these days on the NBA FA market, not a starting PF, and likely not a starter at all.  I am not sure there is going to be a value for us via this path.  Is there a good enough bench player available to spend this kind of money and assets on?  Maybe a starting PG and move Smart to the bench (probably not Lowry)?  I don't think so but I am sure I have not thought of all the possibilities.

The last or lowest tier is to use the MLE.  The non-tax payer version of this is $9.3M but using this would in a sense hard cap us also.  The tax payer version of this is $5.9M  That is enough to get a decent depth player and I suspect that we will deploy this, probably the tax payer level to keep our options open.  Maybe a back up PG?  Maybe a bench big?

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Rose/ Pritchard/Madar
Brown/ Langford/ Reddick
Barnes / Parker / Grant

This is a very good and complemntary team right now with a big shakeup, but still room for our young guys coming fro the bench and some vet and great profesionals also mentoring (Horford, Rose,Reddick, Ariza, Parker).
The big advantage of this team is that Rose and Barnes would be 2 years contract, like Horford, with only Timelord extension question next year, but a lot of room for 2023 FA (or even next one if wanted). Without extending Fournier or Smart which could finish our FA hopes.
I think those guys are nice short term players but you sacrifice the potential of signing Beal in 2022. I see Fournier as a easy sign and still be able to move in 2022 off season if Beal wants to sign or in a actual Beal S&T. Those other guys won't be easy to move once their numbers decline further and Wizards will probably ask a second team to accept them costing C's picks. So again for me it's Fournier or pass on FA.

Yes, but the real goal is Beal in 2022 or Jokic/Embid in 2023? Or even Harden, Butler, Durant, Middleton or Van Vleet (Zion) in this incredible 2023 Free agency...
We may wait 2 years with this team. Again the only problem would be Timelord extension. Also I see it is an easyest way to end the contract at te right time than being in a position of needing to dumb a player (who may be injured or regress) to have the cash to sign FA.

There is both possibilities for the reason of the Kemba trade : have more room to unload Horford next year and sign or trade earlyer; or have a little room to make little changes now and wait until 2023 to catch the big 3rd fish...

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Our biggest need is a PF (or a swing who can legitimately play PF).  If we are going to do any kind of a sign and trade for an upper'ish tier FA, to me it should be for a PF.  Markannen, Collins, someone like that.  The salary for these types of players will exceed any TPEs we have (the biggest is $11M) so this is going to require sending out Smart and Thompson and possibly a young player or pick.  That is giving up a lot plus ending up hard capped.  If we are going to do something like this, it better be for a really good player who fills a major need.

John Collins would be a great fit with Al Horford here. Horford is exactly what Collins needs. A high post 5 who will vacate the paint and allow Collins to attack the open space inside for high percentage hoops. He would be an awesome fit on this team.

I am less keen on Markkanen with Horford here. I do not like Markkanen as a PF. He is an undersized five. He lacks the speed / ball-handling / passing of smaller forwards and does not have enough of a matchup advantage at PF. Playing with Horford would force Markkanen to play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths. It is a bad fit.

I view Collins as an interior PF - he has perimeter scoring too but it his interior scoring that makes him special.
And Markkanen as a perimeter C [undersized quick C] -- it is his speed, outside shooting & scoring ability against opposing 7 footers (slower big men) that makes Markkanen special (rather than his play against 6-8/6-9 wings).

Not both PF / swings. Different positions.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I am warming to the Derrick Rose idea.

I would not start him though. I am not wild about his fit with Tatum & Jaylen. Rose is too shot-happy. He is a score first me first type of PG. I prefer him as a change of pace backup PG. Someone who can shoulder the bench scoring and give the team a lift while one or both of Tatum / Jaylen rest.

D-Rose could be a good MLE guy in that role.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Rose/ Pritchard/Madar
Brown/ Langford/ Reddick
Barnes / Parker / Grant

Yes, but the real goal is Beal in 2022 or Jokic/Embid in 2023? Or even Harden, Butler, Durant, Middleton or Van Vleet (Zion) in this incredible 2023 Free agency...
We may wait 2 years with this team. Again the only problem would be Timelord extension. Also I see it is an easyest way to end the contract at te right time than being in a position of needing to dumb a player (who may be injured or regress) to have the cash to sign FA.

There is both possibilities for the reason of the Kemba trade : have more room to unload Horford next year and sign or trade earlyer; or have a little room to make little changes now and wait until 2023 to catch the big 3rd fish...
Absolutely agree this team should be focused on keeping flexibility to make a big FA splash be it 2022 or 2023. I just say plan for 2022. Beal has an opt out and out of all the 2022 and 2023 FAs he feels most likely to come here.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
I am warming to the Derrick Rose idea.

I would not start him though. I am not wild about his fit with Tatum & Jaylen. Rose is too shot-happy. He is a score first me first type of PG. I prefer him as a change of pace backup PG. Someone who can shoulder the bench scoring and give the team a lift while one or both of Tatum / Jaylen rest.

D-Rose could be a good MLE guy in that role.

I honestly don't see a better alternative (as a free-agent) at our potential price range. And he's been playing well. I don't mind him starting though, would you start Pritchard instead? Because if it's between Smart and Rose I'd pick Rose to start instead of bringing him off the bench.

PF/C type would be my other priority, Bobby Portis is a name some and me have thrown to the mix. Just haven't really studied the other alternatives all that much, but it's the type of player I'd be looking for and he's been willing to take short money to be in a good team, so he'd be either an MLE type or a S&T type... either with our Trade Exception or using Thompson if the Bucks are interested in keeping some big men depth. Maybe he's happy there and will stick around, particularly with their playoff success, though he was benched last series. If Bucks win, maybe he'll be looking for a payday instead.

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2021, 07:10:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

John Collins would be a great fit with Al Horford here. Horford is exactly what Collins needs. A high post 5 who will vacate the paint and allow Collins to attack the open space inside for high percentage hoops. He would be an awesome fit on this team.

I am less keen on Markkanen with Horford here. I do not like Markkanen as a PF. He is an undersized five. He lacks the speed / ball-handling / passing of smaller forwards and does not have enough of a matchup advantage at PF. Playing with Horford would force Markkanen to play to his weaknesses rather than his strengths. It is a bad fit.

I view Collins as an interior PF - he has perimeter scoring too but it his interior scoring that makes him special.
And Markkanen as a perimeter C [undersized quick C] -- it is his speed, outside shooting & scoring ability against opposing 7 footers (slower big men) that makes Markkanen special (rather than his play against 6-8/6-9 wings).

I agree, Collins alongside Horford would be a really good fit. Unsure who our starting PG would be, but a group of Brown-Tatum-Collins-Horford is a good start.

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I agree, Collins alongside Horford would be a really good fit. Unsure who our starting PG would be, but a group of Brown-Tatum-Collins-Horford is a good start.

I like Collins as well, just no clue on how he can be had... it's going to be expensive, and would require starter level players in return and all we have are ones with expiring contracts, not something I'd trade for if I had Collins at hand.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 09:03:54 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 615
I don't get the fascination with players who will certainly get paid next season. It's better to find player like vetarans like Horford who were rotting on lottery teams as they are affordable.

If you want a solid glue guys, you scout underachieving teams with talented players who were probably underutilized, not guys who were performing excellent right now.

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I don't get the fascination with players who will certainly get paid next season. It's better to find player like vetarans like Horford who were rotting on lottery teams as they are affordable.

If you want a solid glue guys, you scout underachieving teams with talented players who were probably underutilized, not guys who were performing excellent right now.

Players that like Horford that we traded a star, albeit with some knee issues, plus a 1st rounder for?

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Confused by this. Veterans "like Horford" meaning what? Guys that have been overpaid by somebody else?

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 07:52:57 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 615

Players that like Horford that we traded a star, albeit with some knee issues, plus a 1st rounder for?
Kemba got traded for Horford, straight up. I can argue that Moses Brown have the same value as the 1st round pick, if not better. Not only we saved up cap space by getting rid Kemba's bloated contract, we also got our former defensive anchor who may still be capable even on decline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfVJ4rNcNE&t=226s

Based on the highlights, looks like he didn't lost much step. Remember that OKC shelved him not because he's bad, but because it's the opposite and it will be detrimental on their tanking plan.