Poll

Draft date

Before Labor Day (late August)
7 (70%)
After Labor Day (mid-September)
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Summer 2021 Fantasy Draft: General discussion  (Read 130866 times)

Re: Summer 2021 Fantasy Draft: Team Assignment & Lottery
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2021, 08:37:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
This injury thing also should maybe be considered for players returning from a long time off due to a bad injury. Who knows how that player will now look like?

It's a slippery slope. You can make a rule to disregard injuries, but that's not going to stop voters from taking injuries into consideration.

My view will be I will take year long injuries into consideration. If a player was off all or most of last year or will be out most or all of next year, I will probably lower my expectations on those teams that want to use such players in important roles.

So I guess now everyone knows who I won't be selecting at #6.
It's definitely a pertinent question with how many dang superstars went down with injuries in the last 12 months.
Recovery from injuries even severe injuries seems to be a lot less problematic nowadays than in the past.  Of course they are practicing load management a lot more so that means more missed games even if the players' perform at a similar level to their pre-injury state. 

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2021, 12:47:05 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
How do we want to deal with injured players that may miss this upcoming season?
It's a tough question. I think it's all up to personal preference.
It's a slippery slope. You can make a rule to disregard injuries
I think we should clear this out prior to the draft. Do we have a rule to disregard injuries or do we take injuries into consideration? I'm perfectly fine with both options as long as we are all on the same page.

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2021, 01:13:39 AM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
I think we should clear this out prior to the draft. Do we have a rule to disregard injuries or do we take injuries into consideration? I'm perfectly fine with both options as long as we are all on the same page.

I think we need to take them into account -- although I think Nick's point might've been geared towards evaluating players who have been injured in the past and haven't come back yet / proven they're just as good as they used to be.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2021, 02:37:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think we need to take them into account -- although I think Nick's point might've been geared towards evaluating players who have been injured in the past and haven't come back yet / proven they're just as good as they used to be.
I agree. Take them into account as much as you want, but definitely consider them. 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I agree. Take them into account as much as you want, but definitely consider them.

Basically, do we want to do players that we know are out this season are out or do we want the 2K version where they are assumed healthy?

Health history will always play a role. 

Honestly, I think it is more fun the more good players are available.   

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562

Basically, do we want to do players that we know are out this season are out or do we want the 2K version where they are assumed healthy?

Health history will always play a role. 

Honestly, I think it is more fun the more good players are available.
It would be weird to hold a currently healthy player's poor health history against them but give a pass to players who are actually injured or recovering and expected to miss some or all of the season. 

If we are going to take into account existing injuries and expected missed time, I think those players ought to be identified up front rather than having folks have to figure it out for themselves.

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2021, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Seems we're at a bit of an impasse in terms of how we should deal with injuries. IMO I think we should treat this draft as if we're building a team for the next season. If a player is guaranteed to miss the whole season (or near to it), then they should be valued pretty lowly. Anything past something like that is probably too opinion-based and speculative in nature.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2021, 12:03:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Seems we're at a bit of an impasse in terms of how we should deal with injuries. IMO I think we should treat this draft as if we're building a team for the next season. If a player is guaranteed to miss the whole season (or near to it), then they should be valued pretty lowly. Anything past something like that is probably too opinion-based and speculative in nature.
This is where I come down on it too. The title will be a fantasy title as if these teams played out the 21-22 season - or at least, that's how I've always thought this draft would be.

There's not enough GMs as there were in the old CB drafts (would get 30 or so) to do the 'Best Future Team' category.

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Quote from: gouki88
These time slots are not finalised, if anyone wants them changed to a bit earlier in the evening EST let me know in the team assignment thread.
Could we please start a bit earlier in the evening EST? Even one hour earlier would help a lot. 7 p.m. EST is 2 a.m. where I am. Worst case scenario I'll send a list to gouki, but I'd rather make the picks myself. It's way more fun being active through the draft process.

--------------------------------------------

How do we value injury-prone players? I mean, some guys are healthy right now, but their injury history looks scary. Are we assuming that everyone will stay healthy throughout the season except for those that are already injured?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:21:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
These time slots are not finalised, if anyone wants them changed to a bit earlier in the evening EST let me know in the team assignment thread.
Could we please start a bit earlier in the evening EST? Even one hour earlier would help a lot. 7 p.m. EST is 2 a.m. where I am. Worst case scenario I'll send a list to gouki, but I'd rather make the picks myself. It's way more fun being active through the draft process.

How do we value injury-prone players? I mean, some guys are healthy right now, but their injury history looks scary. Are we assuming that everyone will stay healthy throughout the season except for those that are already injured?
Sure thing, I'll update the draft thread now with the revised times.

I'm not sure that assuming default availability is the way to go, as it might alter the balance between durable guys and injury-prone guys. I feel like it's all personal preference - historically we've never assumed injury nor health, but rather that certain players have a higher risk of injury due to their history. I'm not too fussed, but happy to hear what others say.

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2021, 07:34:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Fun to think about how strong these teams are going to be.

So 12 teams with 5 starters each. That is 60 players.
12 teams with 5 main bench pieces. Up to 120 players.

120 players in a 30 team league is the top 4 guys on each team.

120 players in a 30 team league is the top 120 / 300 players. So only above average rotation players. No below average rotation players. Maybe no average players. Almost all if not all players will be above average rotation players. 

So the 10 main players on each team in the a 12 team league would / should be starter quality players in a 30 team league.

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Fun to think about how strong these teams are going to be.

So 12 teams with 5 starters each. That is 60 players.
12 teams with 5 main bench pieces. Up to 120 players.

120 players in a 30 team league is the top 4 guys on each team.

120 players in a 30 team league is the top 120 / 300 players. So only above average rotation players. No below average rotation players. Maybe no average players. Almost all if not all players will be above average rotation players. 

So the 10 main players on each team in the a 12 team league would / should be starter quality players in a 30 team league.
I've been thinking about this myself. I was looking at some of the 2016 CB draft teams, and yours for example had a pairing of one All-NBA calibre guy and a fringe All-Star (forgot to not mention names!) as its best players. Definitely a good foundation, but in this draft every team will have two top-25 guys. Crazy fun times ahead.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 03:08:30 AM by gouki88 »

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2021, 02:48:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Sure thing, I'll update the draft thread now with the revised times.

I'm not sure that assuming default availability is the way to go, as it might alter the balance between durable guys and injury-prone guys. I feel like it's all personal preference - historically we've never assumed injury nor health, but rather that certain players have a higher risk of injury due to their history. I'm not too fussed, but happy to hear what others say.
Thanks, I appreciate it! :)

« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2021, 03:13:37 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It might be a good idea to message everyone, to remind them the the first round is tomorrow, just to make sure everyone is still interested in playing.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2021, 04:12:31 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Quote from: Adrian Wojnarowski
The Milwaukee Bucks are entertaining the idea of trading down from #2, league sources tell ESPN.

Quote from: Shams Charania
The Milwaukee Bucks are open to the idea of trading down in the upcoming draft, sources tell The Athletic.