Author Topic: Sorry C’s fans there’s proof this team is ‘soft’  (Read 5918 times)

Sorry C’s fans there’s proof this team is ‘soft’
« on: April 27, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Sean Grande:

This Boston Celtics team has been down 10+ points in 34 out of 61 games this season.

These Celtics are what they are.

I’m sorry to be a party pooper but the C’s are going nowhere, at least this season till Ainge can retool the squad with a deeper bench and bring in some veteran leadership that can provide some mental toughness.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Sorry C’s fans there’s proof this team is ‘soft’
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25587
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How is that proof of softness?  If anything, it shows the team has come back from double digit deficits several times this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
How is that proof of softness?  If anything, it shows the team has come back from double digit deficits several times this season.

The Celtics are 9-25 in the 34 games falling behind by 10.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the proof that we are soft is we quit playing defense at a high level.  We 've all seen guys slump their heads after a mistake or missed shot.   Tough guys get right back into the play and try to win the next one, for whatever reason that has not happened this season.

Also, I do not think any team fears us anymore.   Everyone has always had us circled to play us and gave us their best.   It used to be to compete against the Celtics now you can see guys think they can beat us.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 04:12:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25587
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So 25% of the time the Celts are able to overcome large deficits?  Again, “soft” isn’t the word I would use.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be

So 25% of the time the Celts are able to overcome large deficits?  Again, “soft” isn’t the word I would use.

"Lack of focus" & "undisciplined at times" leading to these deficits are the terms I'm thinking. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:18:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I disagree that this is "proof" of the team being soft, but I would agree that being down double digits more often than not is certainly a sign that the team has an issue with falling behind, especially early in games. 

In general really good teams will keep most games close, and will have a good number of games where they get up early and stay up the whole way.  The Celts rarely do that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 04:19:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I think it is true that the Celtics are "soft" at least in regards to having bigs that can rebound and defend the rim.  When Tatum is your starting PF, that is going to be a problem.

I don't think the 10 point thing has any relevance to this though.  Our bench is adequate now, if the team ever gets reasonably healthy.  I assume Thompson is a starter so our first tier bench is:

Pritchard
Fournier
Parker
RWilliams

That is not horrible, and the second tier bench is GWilliams, Ojeleye, Kornet, Langford, Nesmith, and Edwards.  Again, as second tier bench players, these are all serviceable.

The problem is that due to injuries, some of our second tier bench players end up starting.  It is also an issue that two of our first tier bench are new players and not really fully integrated but if we have exactly these players for our bench next season, I don't think it will be a weakness.

And if we are able to add a legit starting level PF to the team, then things look even better in terms of depth.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 04:24:58 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell

The Celtics are 8-25 when down at half time this season.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 04:28:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
All the arguments on this blog. Are folks really trying to argue that this team is not soft? Kyrie goes into TG Garden and burns sage on their court and nothing happens. Then he drops about 40 pts on them in a game and they line up to hug and kiss him. That is not the sign of a tough team.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All the arguments on this blog. Are folks really trying to argue that this team is not soft? Kyrie goes into TG Garden and burns sage on their court and nothing happens. Then he drops about 40 pts on them in a game and they line up to hug and kiss him. That is not the sign of a tough team.
Detail for me all the teams who have players that don't go over to their opponents, shake their hands and hug them and congratulate them on a win. Because I am pretty sure the number is ZERO, so by extension of your logic, every team in the NBA is not tough.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Detail for me all the teams who have players that don't go over to their opponents, shake their hands and hug them and congratulate them on a win. Because I am pretty sure the number is ZERO, so by extension of your logic, every team in the NBA is not tough.

Come on Nick....watch the tape..they were falling over themselves to hug the guy who pulled them as Celtic and then dropped about 40 on them. First of all a team with any pride holds him under 20, and does not line up to ‘kiss his ring’. It was so glaring that even the announcers asked him about all the love and affection.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 647
I think the proof that we are soft is we quit playing defense at a high level.  We 've all seen guys slump their heads after a mistake or missed shot.   Tough guys get right back into the play and try to win the next one, for whatever reason that has not happened this season.

Also, I do not think any team fears us anymore.   Everyone has always had us circled to play us and gave us their best.   It used to be to compete against the Celtics now you can see guys think they can beat us.

This.

And unfortunately, our best player is the biggest culprit. Tatum's often times lazy effort, throwing his hands up in the air after every perceived slight and his constant hang dog posture is hard to watch. It must be doubly hard to be a teammate and play with. I'm afraid his on court demeanor is really affecting this team. One big similarity I keep thinking about between this year and the year of Evil Kyrie...the team wasn't having fun, basketball was a chore. I'm not sure if some of this doesn't originate from Tatum. And even on good years, we've had players complaining about lack of ball movement and lack of team play, we all know Tatum can be a ball stopper. Plus big name free agents constantly wanting out...

idk...I don't wanna feel this is true but... Tatum really lacks leadership, almost even has anti-leadership. If this team is to take another step, it's gotta be from Tatum developing in this area. You can't have your best player be a pouty sour puss.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Come on Nick....watch the tape..they were falling over themselves to hug the guy who pulled them as Celtic and then dropped about 40 on them. First of all a team with any pride holds him under 20, and does not line up to ‘kiss his ring’. It was so glaring that even the announcers asked him about all the love and affection.
I watched the tape. I see nothing wrong with players going over and showing some love to a former team mate. Strange as it may seem to you, but just because you hate Kyrie and hate how he left the Celtics, doesn't mean his friends who played alongside him feel the same way.

The players did the same thing with LeBron after the Lakers game. They all showed love to Al Horford after the OKC game, even though he stiffed the franchise too.

This isn't the 1960's to 1990's NBA where players hated each other. It's a very different time. Players greeting and talking to each other pre and post game doesn't mean the players aren't tough.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 05:08:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What's the league record for teams that fall behind double-digits? What about the record when down at half-time?

This isn't proof of anything at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)