Author Topic: Jabari? UPDATE: Jabari!  (Read 34296 times)

Re: Jabari?
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2021, 02:39:30 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
It’s clear this is a reclamation project. Let’s hope Jabari is up for the task.

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
I don't understand why so many are saying Jabari Parker is an upgrade on Mo Wagner. Mo Wagner is a borderline to end of bench level NBA player. Jabari Parker does not even belong in this league and has not for many years.

His offense is good but his defense is dreadful and takes far more off the table than his offense adds to it.

A downgrade and a waste of a roster spot. At least we still have Semi and Grant Williams at PF to stop this guy from hurting our team too much. Still what a waste of a roster spot.

« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2021, 02:59:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand why so many are saying Jabari Parker is an upgrade on Mo Wagner. Mo Wagner is a borderline to end of bench level NBA player. Jabari Parker does not even belong in this league and has not for many years.

His offense is good but his defense is dreadful and takes far more off the table than his offense adds to it.

A downgrade and a waste of a roster spot. At least we still have Semi and Grant Williams at PF to stop this guy from hurting our team too much. Still what a waste of a roster spot.

I don’t think it’s possible for an NBA player to be more useless than Wagner has been here.  We don’t need five centers, but even by the theoretical standard of “what do you want from your fifth center”, he was below that.

Parker’s defense really is atrocious.  Like, Kyrie bad, or worse.  But, in today’s offense-only league, I think a good offense / terrible defense player can get minutes.  If anything, a failure to foster those types of players is one of Stevens’ weaknesses; it limits the talent pool.  I mean, we’ve been living with the inverse of that — good defense, terrible offense — for years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 548
Finally, the bench actually looks like an NBA bench

Now if only we could dump Edwards and sign IT, we'd be all set.

Edwards is awful
I want to know what went into the decision to give him guaranteed money.

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2021, 03:12:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As long as Jabari understands his role + honest effort on D.

« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2021, 03:17:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Edwards is awful
I want to know what went into the decision to give him guaranteed money.

The same evaluation that led him to be an early 2nd round pick, where 3 years of guaranteed money is common.  Mind you, the guarantee is at the minimum salary, so it’s not like he’s ridiculously expensive.  Also, most of the picks near him have had a similar lack of success.  There’s good reason to believe that Covid has stunted the ability of some of these players to develop, as it limited practice times and eliminated a summer league, and the G- League for some as well.  Most 2nd rounders are guys you hope to have trying to fight for a rotation spot in year 2, but without practice that’s going to be tougher for them.

« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 548

That's the issue. He's played a handful of games in 2 years. Here's some brief game tape/highlights that Jared Weiss posted up on the Athletic of him playing for Sacramento:

https://youtu.be/CcrI6NWu6_k

https://youtu.be/oIetcXjLQu8

https://youtu.be/cDCj4RzpjIA

The Athletic story is here. If people want to read it I can post it in full later.
https://theathletic.com/2525460/2021/04/16/the-celtics-signed-jabari-parker-to-replace-moe-wagner-what-are-they-getting/

It's safe to say that Jared Weiss isn't a fan  :police: So to be fair to Jabari, here is another video clip of his best moments in 2019-20, before he was traded to Sacramento which is when the wheels fell off for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4zTxOgz9N8

I think as long as we all manage our expectations of him, we will find he is a net gain for our team over Mo Wagner. I'd call that a win for Danny.
Weiss is a good writer - interesting analysis.  I do think this is a good signing - lots of potential upside, pretty much no downside. I agree too that in today's NBA it's a lot easier to get away with a guy who can't or won't defend but can put the ball in the basket. 

Plus Brad still has his binky, GWill to go with when he needs defense and Semi's still around. This is a low cost attempt to address a need and certainly Parker has to look at it as a chance to salvage his career given the talent on the roster and the coach's history of getting the most out of guys with holes in their game.  And Evan Turner,  poster boy for that, is on Brad's coaching staff

« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427

I don’t think it’s possible for an NBA player to be more useless than Wagner has been here.  We don’t need five centers, but even by the theoretical standard of “what do you want from your fifth center”, he was below that.

Parker’s defense really is atrocious.  Like, Kyrie bad, or worse.  But, in today’s offense-only league, I think a good offense / terrible defense player can get minutes.  If anything, a failure to foster those types of players is one of Stevens’ weaknesses; it limits the talent pool.  I mean, we’ve been living with the inverse of that — good defense, terrible offense — for years.

When you are a disgrace of a defender, you need to be an immense offensive talent. Not merely a good one. If you are only a good one, you are still a net negative and a large one at that -- which is what Jabari Parker is.

You need to be passable defensively -- like low effort Kyrie -- to be merely good on offense to be of use to an NBA team.

Otherwise, you are better off with a limited offensive threat like Semi or Grant Williams because at least they won't hurt you as bad as a player like Jabari Parker will. They have less positive contributions but also far less negative contributions to the team. A net positive over Jabari.

There are bad defenders.

And there are pathetic defenders. Jabari is pathetic.

And he is not good enough offensively to make up for how bad he is defensively. He'll have a good enough game every once in a while (say 1 out 5) where he is a net positive for you but the rest of the time he is just hurting you (say 4 out of 5 games).

He just does not bring enough to the table.

He is not an NBA player. He should go abroad to a slower less athletic league. He could succeed in that environment and have a good professional career. Someplace like China or Europe.

Injuries have decimated his quickness & agility on defense. He is not an NBA player.

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3209
I think one thing that Jabari can do for the Celtics is he that could be useful in busting that zone that's given us trouble in the playoffs. He looks like he's money from the top of the key and can even pass well from that spot. As a situational pickup I think he can be useful in certain situations.

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
Semi and Jabari were freshmen at Duke together.  Semi backed up Jabari (i.e. he came in for mop up duty only).  It will be interesting to see if Semi can keep Jabari from taking his role (limited tho it is) on the Celtics.

« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Did you watch Wagner against the Laker scrubs?

« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1478
I don’t really understand the Jabari pickup, when guys like Wilson Chandler, Austin Rivers and even Kyle Korver are available.

Jabari was always a defensive sieve going into the NBA and was worse after his two ACL injuries. He has never looked like someone who’s in 100% shape and for his size is a poor rebounder which is a reflection of effort. Perhaps we couldn’t get other vets so and Ainge is kicking the tyres on Jabari hoping he can help with a bit of scoring.

None of those guys listed are PF’s. Jabari just turned 26 the other day, he’s still young and has talent.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

Edwards is awful

Serious question, though:  is IT better than him right now?

Offensively by a lot. Certainly not defensively... Guess it comes down to what you are looking to add. I would take IT everyday of the week, he’s a proven NBA player  who can score and can run an offense. Edwards has never done anything well. It’s a complete waste of a roster spot.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don’t really understand the Jabari pickup, when guys like Wilson Chandler, Austin Rivers and even Kyle Korver are available.

Jabari was always a defensive sieve going into the NBA and was worse after his two ACL injuries. He has never looked like someone who’s in 100% shape and for his size is a poor rebounder which is a reflection of effort. Perhaps we couldn’t get other vets so and Ainge is kicking the tyres on Jabari hoping he can help with a bit of scoring.

None of those guys listed are PF’s. Jabari just turned 26 the other day, he’s still young and has talent.
You can look at it like that but Parker is really at the end of his nba career.

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

You can look at it like that but Parker is really at the end of his nba career.

Well, apparently Danny and Brad don’t see it that way. Guess we will find out soon enough.