Author Topic: Now what in the off season?  (Read 2988 times)

Now what in the off season?
« on: March 25, 2021, 08:07:36 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I believed the Celtics biggest needs going into the trade deadline was PG and PF. I hoped they would have traded Kemba to OKC for Horford and Hill (salaries work and Celts would have needed to add a second and Nesmith) and then trade for Lonzo Ball. Horford would have solved the PF issue and Hill's numbers are similar to Fournier's. Ball, a long, pass first PG, better fits the team. Now that the trade deadline has passed, what do you think the offseason will bring? I hope they sign Fournier and get rid of TT and Kemba and get a pass first, 6ft+, PG who can defend

Re: Now what in the off season?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
No one gotta take Walker salary with bad knees..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 08:21:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I believed the Celtics biggest needs going into the trade deadline was PG and PF. I hoped they would have traded Kemba to OKC for Horford and Hill (salaries work and Celts would have needed to add a second and Nesmith) and then trade for Lonzo Ball. Horford would have solved the PF issue and Hill's numbers are similar to Fournier's. Ball, a long, pass first PG, better fits the team. Now that the trade deadline has passed, what do you think the offseason will bring? I hope they sign Fournier and get rid of TT and Kemba and get a pass first, 6ft+, PG who can defend

What's the point of bringing in two guys who are two months away from their 35th birthday?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
To get rid of a 30 y.o. who is a volume shooter on an equally bad contract and can't defend to bring in two areas of need without using the TPE?

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I reckon we are pretty much stuck with what he got.

Whatever big summer moves one was hoping for, well, they happened today. Some end of bench moves and a 2nd tier destination for the MLE (due to being so far behind other contenders).

Not enough flexibility to do much else.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 08:45:04 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Between Today and End of Season
  • Identify which young guys are worth keeping
  • Identify whether Fournier is worth keeping
  • Keep Kemba healthy to make sure his trade value doesn't plummet even more

Offseason
  • Get out from Kemba's contract
  • Trade Thompson, young guys, and picks for anything
  • Find an actual defensive anchor at big

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
To get rid of a 30 y.o. who is a volume shooter on an equally bad contract and can't defend to bring in two areas of need without using the TPE?

We'd be filling in "areas of need" for what, half a season?  Adding 35 years olds because fans are obsessed with dumping a 30 year old who can still play is silly.  Adding a 35 year old who is owed significant money for two more seasons beyond this one is insane.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 09:33:16 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 09:22:26 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman

We'd be filling in "areas of need" for what, half a season?  Adding 35 years olds -- one of whom I'd rather keep the 30 year old who can play, even if he's not as consistent as he used to be -- is silly.  Adding a 35 year old who is owed significant money for two more seasons beyond this one is insane.

Is using 17 million of the TPE on a player who may only be on the team for half of the season the sane plan you hoped for? Hill's numbers are similar to EF's and I believe it would be easier to trade them and their separate contracts in the near future than Kemba's $30+M. Would've helped now, got rid of Kemba and could have used $11M of TPE + picks to get your PG for the future while you work on replacing, serviceable old Al and George with 17 mil left on TPE and bird rights to Lonzo who will likely be in the 4/18M range.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

We'd be filling in "areas of need" for what, half a season?  Adding 35 years olds -- one of whom I'd rather keep the 30 year old who can play, even if he's not as consistent as he used to be -- is silly.  Adding a 35 year old who is owed significant money for two more seasons beyond this one is insane.

Unless he’s Lebron James, or Chris Paul.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is using 17 million of the TPE on a player who may only be on the team for half of the season the sane plan you hoped for? Hill's numbers are similar to EF's and I believe it would be easier to trade them and their separate contracts in the near future than Kemba's $30+M. Would've helped now, got rid of Kemba and could have used $11M of TPE + picks to get your PG for the future while you work on replacing, serviceable old Al and George with 17 mil left on TPE and bird rights to Lonzo who will likely be in the 4/18M range.

Hill's numbers aren't really close to Fournier's at all, and Fournier is 28, not closing in on 35.  We got a better player than anybody in your proposed deal, and didn't have to include Nesmith or first rounders.

As for Lonzo, he didn't get traded.  Sounds like NOP wants to try to keep him.

The whole "we have to get rid of Kemba at all costs" thing is silly.  He's underperforming his contract, but he's still a good player.  Dumping him for the age 35, 36, and 37 seasons of Al Horford just seems unwise.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 09:34:20 PM »

Online JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not only do we have the 11 mil remaining on the Hayward trade exception, but we have the 4.7 mil exception from the Kanter deal, and 2.5 mil exception from the Poirier deal.  It will be interesting to see if we use any of them before they expire, but it could be another way to bolster the depth of the team. 

Hopefully we-resign Fournier or at least sign and trade him.  If Rob Williams really comes on maybe the Celts will try to lock him up. 

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
We need more guards .

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:32 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

This is the only way forward

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id hope for the following... trade Kemba, some young players, and picks for Beal. Sign and trade Fournier for Lonzo.

Lonzo/PP/Yam
Beal/Smart/Edwards
JB/Nesmith/Langford
JT/(TPE balance)/GW
TL/TT/Wag

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:30:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
Send Kemba to China ?