Author Topic: Magic (6-5) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/15/21  (Read 25920 times)

Magic (6-5) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/15/21
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11866
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at   
Orlando Magic (6-5)  at Boston Celtics (7-3)   
Friday, January 15
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #11, Home Game #5
TV:  NBCSB, FSFL, NBA-LP
Radio: WBZ-FM, WYGM AM/FM
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Payton Pritchard vs Cole Anthony

Shooting Guard
vs 
Jeff Teague vs Dwayne Bacon

Small Forward

vs 
Marcus Smart vs James Ennis III

Power Forward
  vs 
Grant Williams vs Aaron Gordon

Center

vs 
Tristan Thompson vs Nikola Vucevic

Reserves
Tremont Waters
Tacko Fall
Aaron Nesmith

Injuries
Kemba Walker (knee) out
Romeo Langford (wrist) out
Robert Williams (covid) out
Jayson Tatum (covid) out
Carsen Edwards (covid) out
Semi Ojeleye (covid) questionable
Jaylen Brown (covid) questionable
Javonte Green (covid) questionable
Daniel Theis (covid) questionable

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Reserves
Mo Bamba
Khem Birch
Jordan Bone
Gary Clark
Karim Mane
Terrence Ross

Injuries
Al-Farouq Aminu (knee) out
Chuma Okeke (knee) out
Markelle Fultz  (knee) out
Jonathan Isaacs (knee) out
Michael Carter-Williams (foot)  game time decision
Evan Fournier (back) game time decision

Head Coach
Steve Clifford

Game Notes
The Celtics resume play after a 3 game hiatus due to Health and Safety Protocols that left the Celtics without enough healthy players to meet the league minimum.  The Magic come to town after having Wednesday's game against the Celtics cancelled.  The Celtics last played on January 8 when they beat the Wizards 116-107.  The Magic last played on Monday when they lost to the Bucks 121-99.   

Orlando will face the Nets in Brooklyn on Saturday.  The Celtics don't play again until Sunday when they host the Knicks.  The Celtics swept the Nets last season including a 109-98 in January, a 116-100 win in February and a 122-119 win in the bubble.  Wednesday's game between these two teams was postponed and I imagine that they will also play at least one more in the second half of the season. 

The Celtics should have at least 8 players available and possibly as many as 12.  Tristan Thompson and Grant Williams are scheduled to return if the testing goes well.  Jaylen Brown, Semi Ojeleye, Daniel Theis and Javonte Green are all listed as questionable.  Carsen Edwards, Jayson Tatum, Robert Williams, Romeo Langford and Kemba Walker are all listed as out.

For the Magic, Michael Carter-Williams (foot) and Evan Fournier (back) are both listed as a game time decision.  Al-Farouq Aminu (knee), Chuma Okeke (knee), Markelle Fultz (knee), and Jonathan Isaac (knee) are all listed as out.   I'm not sure about the starters for either team as it will depend on if the questionable players can play or not.  I took my best guess for if the players who are questionable or a game time decision are all out. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Tristan Thompson vs Nikola Vucevic
Vucevic is leading the Magic with 19.6 points, 10.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.1 steals.  Hopefully Tristan Thompson returns for this one and he will need to stay with Vucevic in the paint as well as on the perimeter as he is shooting 34% from beyond the arc. 

vs 
Grant Williams vs Aaron Gordon
Aaron Gordon is capable of putting up a lot of points if he isn't defended well.  He is averaging 14.4 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists.   He is a threat to drive to the basket more than hitting a 3 pointer.  Grant will need to stay in front of him and not allow him to get to the rim.

Honorable Mention
Payton Pritchard vs Cole Anthony
Pritchard is the Celtics best point guard expected to be available for this game.  In spite of that, he may or may not get the call to start.  We may see another Tremont Waters start or if Jaylen can play we may see Marcus Smart back in this spot.  Anthony is averaging 9.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 3.1 assists. 

Keys to the Game

Defense - Defense is always a key to winning, whether in the preseason, regular season or playoffs.  The Magic are averaging 106.1 points per game, which is 27th in the league.  Boston is averaging 113.0 points per game (12th).   Orlando ranks 16th with a defensive rating of 109.7. The Celtics are 19th in the league with a defensive rating of 110.4.  The Celtics need to get back to making defense a priority if they want to win this game and be contenders this season. 

Rebound - The Celtics have to crash the boards in order to give themselves extra possessions as well as to prevent the Magic from getting second chance points and fast breaks.  The Magic are averaging 46.8 rebounds per game. The Celtics are averaging 45.52 rebounds per game.  The Magic are 13th in the league with 13.4 2nd chance points per game.   Much of rebounding is effort and the Celtics need to give extra effort to beat the Magic to the boards. 

Play hard for 48 Minutes - The Celtics can't come out and play sluggishly and get behind as they have in some games.  The Celtics have to come out strong and play hard right from the beginning.  They also have to continue to play hard right up until the final buzzer and not allow the Magic to go on a run in the 3rd or 4th quarter.  No let up from start to finish. 

Next Man Up - The Celtics will get at least 2 players back in the lineup and maybe more. But they will still be missing several key players.  Everyone must play their hardest to fill in the gaps and make up for the players who are still out.   Each player has to play his role and there is no room for slacking off. 

X-Factors
Who is Playing? -  Both teams have key players out and both teams have a possibility of getting some of those players back.  It goes without saying that the Celtics would be much tougher if Jaylen Brown, Semi Ojeleye, Daniel Theis and Javonte Green can all play.   It will be much harder to win if they have just 8 players available. 

Rest vs Rust - The Celtics have been off for a full week and unable to practice for much of that time.  They will be well rested, but will they come out rusty?  The Magic on the other hand, played on Monday and has been off 4 days but have been able to practice during that time.  Will the layoff help or hurt the Celtics?

Officiating -  Officiating always has the potential to be an x-factor.  Whether the officials call the game tight or let them play without a lot of calls,  the Celtics need to adjust to the way the game is being called and not lose focus if bad calls go against them. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:07:59 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Magic (6-5) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/15/21
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 09:31:36 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1883
Hope we have a game.  Let's go Cs.  Thanks again FLCeltsFan.  TP
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:32:22 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11866
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!

Beat the Magic!!! 

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I miss Cs basketball. Hope we have a relatively healthy squad tomorrow.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for another great thread FL.  hoping they can actually play this time

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:57:46 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Lets Go Celtics!!!               ;D                  Beat the Magic!!!

TP...              FLCF...

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:03:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
FINALLY!!!!!!

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 562
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
LET'S GO CELTICS!!!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 10:28:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TP FLCF FOR ANOTHER GREAT THREAD

GO CELTICS!!! BEAT THE magic.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:56:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
Pritchard vs Anthony will be interesting?

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Hopefully they can snap out of it. No wins since last Friday by the C's? Pathetic...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:38 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 578
Am I the only one who kind of hopes the questionable guys miss this game?

I'm kind of interested to see how some of these guys pay when given extended minutes.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 09:37:14 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I'm kind of interested to see how some of these guys pay when given extended minutes.

I am with you. I am curious to see how this game will go. I was curious to see the clustermess it would be to have 5 guards having to split some SF minutes and Tacko playing 48 minutes. At least the team they'll have will be a little more balanced but it will still be fun to watch. If Magic comes out focus, I don't think the Celtics have a chance but we will play as if there's nothing to lose.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 10:27:31 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580

I am with you. I am curious to see how this game will go. I was curious to see the clustermess it would be to have 5 guards having to split some SF minutes and Tacko playing 48 minutes. At least the team they'll have will be a little more balanced but it will still be fun to watch. If Magic comes out focus, I don't think the Celtics have a chance but we will play as if there's nothing to lose.

I'd rather just watch good basketball. Save the weird stuff for summer leagues and preseason.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
Should be well rested
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin