Author Topic: John Collins  (Read 5490 times)

Re: John Collins
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We have a pretty large hole at PF
I would argue that Tatum is the best small-ball PF in the NBA (given that LeBron is mostly playing at SF this season). Really like Tatum at PF. He's more explosive than the vast majority of his opponents, which gives him a massive advantage on the offensive side of the ball.

Imo, we have a hole at SF. If we are trading with the Hawks, my target would be De'Andre Hunter. Problem is, why would the Hawks trade him? Well, they need to pair Trae with an elite defender in their backcourt. The C's have an elite guard defender in Smart. Assuming Tatum and Brown are off the table, I bet the Hawks would expect us to include Smart in the deal. I'm a big fan of Smart's game, but I'd be willing to consider that trade. The Hawks would have to throw in a filler as well.

Hunter reminds me of Mikal Bridges, only 2 inches taller and a bit longer. I reckon he'd be a terrific fit in our switch-heavy defensive system. He hits restricted free agency in 2023, hence he's basically under team control for 7-8 seasons.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:05:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 03:58:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I would argue that Tatum is the best small-ball PF in the NBA (given that LeBron is mostly playing at SF this season). Really like Tatum at PF. He's more explosive than the vast majority of his opponents, which gives him a massive advantage on the offensive side of the ball.

Imo, we have a whole at SF. If we are trading with the Hawks, my target would be De'Andre Hunter. Assuming Tatum and Brown are off the table, I bet the Hawks would expect us to include Smart in the deal. I'm a big fan of Smart's game, but I'd be willing to consider that trade. The Hawks would have to throw in a filler as well.

Hunter reminds me of Mikal Bridges, only 2 inches taller and a bit longer. I reckon he'd be a terrific fit in our switch-heavy defensive system. He hits restricted free agency in 2023, hence he's basically under team control for 7-8 seasons.

List of players who would fit well as starters on this team (at PF or SF depending on what you call Tatum):

Hunter, Okoro, Patrick Williams, PJ Washington, Bagley Jr., Collins, RJ Barrett (SF), who am I leaving out?  How good is Hachimura?

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Imo, we have a hole at SF. If we are trading with the Hawks, my target would be De'Andre Hunter. Problem is, why would the Hawks trade him? Well, they need to pair Trae with an elite defender in their backcourt. The C's have an elite guard defender in Smart. Assuming Tatum and Brown are off the table, I bet the Hawks would expect us to include Smart in the deal. I'm a big fan of Smart's game, but I'd be willing to consider that trade. The Hawks would have to throw in a filler as well.

He has started to play well, and seems a key piece for them going forward. Unlikely to offer him in a trade for Smart or a package including Smart.

Really wish we had signed Josh Jackson in off season. He would have been perfect guy to fill at the 3, coming off the bench to sub Brown or Tatum.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Imo, we have a whole at SF. If we are trading with the Hawks, my target would be De'Andre Hunter. Problem is, why would the Hawks trade him? Well, they need to pair Trae with an elite defender in their backcourt. The C's have an elite guard defender in Smart. Assuming Tatum and Brown are off the table, I bet the Hawks would expect us to include Smart in the deal. I'm a big fan of Smart's game, but I'd be willing to consider that trade. The Hawks would have to throw in a filler as well.

We have a hole anywhere we want to put it because Jaylen can play 2, 3 or 4 roughly equally well.

We spent two #14 picks in a row on Langford and Nesmith. I'm hopeful that Langford can get there by playoffs. He can defend well enough, he's pretty big, and he has the DNA of a solid scorer.

Hunter would be great, but like you, I'd be very surprised if the Hawks would deal him for Smart, and the C's likewise seem committed to Marcus.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
I dont think Ainge has the balls to trade Smart nowadays.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Why?

There is a 50/50 he isnt extended after next season

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would jump on board something like this:

Collins + Huerter

For

Smart, Theis + 2023 1st round pick.

Leaves us with a healthy rotation of:
Thompson / Williams
Collins / Williams
Tatum / Huerter / Ojeleye
Brown / Langford / Nesmith
Kemba / Pritchard / Teague
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 05:57:07 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Why?

There is a 50/50 he isnt extended after next season

I think he does have the balls.

Reasons it might happen:

1. Ainge may very well see us as one player away. Until we prove otherwise, we probably are.

2. We have a TPE that significantly expands possibilities at the trade deadline and end of year.

3. Marcus has real trade value, and a very useful contract size.

4. Ainge fundamentally understands he has two core superstars and EVERYONE else must compliment them. He's said so publicly. Marcus can be one of those guys, but he often isn't, and it appears to be part of who he is.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 05:58:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I trade Smart for Collins any day of the week
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Collins + Huerter

For

Thompson / Williams
Collins / Williams

Sounds great for the Celtics, but why would Atlanta want to make that trade when they already have Trae Young, Rondo, Reddish, Bogdanovic, And Snell at the guard position? Plus, the money doesn’t work.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Collins + Huerter

For

Thompson / Williams
Collins / Williams

Sounds great for the Celtics, but why would Atlanta want to make that trade when they already have Trae Young, Rondo, Reddish, Bogdanovic, And Snell at the guard position? Plus, the money doesn’t work.
Bogdanovic, Rondo & Reddish are all significantly worse than Smart, especially this year, and Snell hasn’t played all year and simply isn’t very good. Smart is the perfect foil for Trae Young. Their guard stocks might on paper look alright, but they’ve had a completely dysfunctional back-court rotation in reality. They also nab a legit very strong backup big and a 1st rounder. I like the balance of this Hawks rotation a lot more than their current one:
Capela / Theis
Hunter /  Gallo
Reddish / Hill / Hunter
Smart / Reddish
Young / Rondo

The trade cleared on TradeNBA, but I’ll admit I didn’t do too thorough a look of the finances. Might’ve automatically added a TPE somehow.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2021, 06:57:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/rumor-nba-trade-rumors-john-collins-shopped-atlanta-hawks-amid-locker-room-tension

I have not seen this posted anywhere else that Atlanta is in fact engaged with two teams on John Collins.

If you have not watched collins play do so.  He's a perfect fit in Boston and I've been clamoring for him for years.  He's an upgrade over Theis and a floor spacer.  Definitely better then Myles Turner.  He can score on all three levels.  He's a better fit in Boston then Atlanta.  I'm not sure what it will take to get him but being that he's a rental it will not be a crazy amount.  Could be a bigger deal for someone like Smart.  A young player like Romeo/Nesmith and a pick.  It will not take as much as you think.  Now if a losing team that could produce a top 10 pick comes calling he's gone but I doubt a losing team trades away a potential top 10 pick only to have to offer a max deal to Collins. 

I still don't think he's available but if he is he'd propel this team to the top of the NBA and I truly think they would be able to hang with ANYONE.  Get Collins Danny!

on a rental? what do you do after he walks?

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Danny traded PP and KG for 3 future mediocre picks + the albatross of Gerald Wallace. I bet this is what most of us were thinking at the time. He traded down from #1 to draft his guy at #3. He refuses to waste assets on rentals, even though most fans urge him to make a big splash. Is this the guy that doesn't have the balls to trade Smart? Cause if you ask me, Danny got balls of steel.

Fwiw, the Hawks have a terrific guard defender of their own in Kris Dunn. Imo, Smart is hands down a more switchable/versatile defender, but Dunn is a better on-ball defender. According to defensive RAPTOR, Dunn was the best guard defender in the NBA last season. In fact, he comfortably led the league in STL%. Perhaps he could be part of a trade around Smart + Collins/Hunter. Hasn't played a game yet this season cause he underwent arthroscopic surgery on December 29 to remove loose cartilage in his right ankle. From what I read, he was expected to be re-evaluated after resting for a couple of weeks. Can't find other news regarding his recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMznAMjpV0E

Dunn cannot be traded till February 19.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:05:09 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Smart & Grant for Collins & Snell works in trade machine..snell is a FA at end of season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin