Author Topic: Republicans  (Read 2654 times)

Republicans
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 318
It was clear to me from the outset that Trump would be abandoned one day, left alone on his selfish island.  It has taken longer than I expected and the abandonment is far from complete.

Here is an opinion piece in NYT by Republican political political consultant Stuart Stevens.  His piece for those who can't use the link is titled:  We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party's Soul Long Ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/opinion/trump-republican-party-racism.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

He states:

"After Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential race, the Republican National Committee chairman, Reince Priebus, commissioned an internal party study to examine why the party had won the popular vote only once since 1998.

The results of that so-called autopsy were fairly obvious: The party needed to appeal to more people of color, reach out to younger voters, become more welcoming to women. Those conclusions were presented as not only a political necessity but also a moral mandate if the Republican Party were to be a governing party in a rapidly changing America.

Then Donald Trump emerged and the party threw all those conclusions out the window with an almost audible sigh of relief: Thank God we can win without pretending we really care about this stuff. That reaction was sadly predictable.

After Mitt Romney lost the 2012 presidential race, the Republican National Committee chairman, Reince Priebus, commissioned an internal party study to examine why the party had won the popular vote only once since 1998.

The results of that so-called autopsy were fairly obvious: The party needed to appeal to more people of color, reach out to younger voters, become more welcoming to women. Those conclusions were presented as not only a political necessity but also a moral mandate if the Republican Party were to be a governing party in a rapidly changing America.

Then Donald Trump emerged and the party threw all those conclusions out the window with an almost audible sigh of relief: Thank God we can win without pretending we really care about this stuff. That reaction was sadly predictable.

I saw the warning signs but ignored them and chose to believe what I wanted to believe: The party wasn’t just a white grievance party; there was still a big tent; the others guys were worse. Many of us in the party saw this dark side and told ourselves it was a recessive gene. We were wrong. It turned out to be the dominant gene.

What is most telling is that the Republican Party actively embraced, supported, defended and now enthusiastically identifies with a man who eagerly exploits the nation’s racial tensions. In our system, political parties should serve a circuit breaker function. The Republican Party never pulled the switch.

Racism is the original sin of the modern Republican Party. While many Republicans today like to mourn the absence of an intellectual voice like William Buckley, it is often overlooked that Mr. Buckley began his career as a racist defending segregation.

In the Richard Nixon White House, Pat Buchanan and Kevin Phillips wrote a re-election campaign memo headed “Dividing the Democrats” in which they outlined what would come to be known as the Southern Strategy. It assumes there is little Republicans can do to attract Black Americans and details a two-pronged strategy: Utilize Black support of Democrats to alienate white voters while trying to decrease that support by sowing dissension within the Democratic Party.

That strategy has worked so well that it was copied by the Russians in their 2016 efforts to help elect Mr. Trump.

In the 2000 George W. Bush campaign, on which I worked, we acknowledged the failures of Republicans to attract significant nonwhite support. When Mr. Bush called himself a “compassionate conservative,” some on the right attacked him, calling it an admission that conservatism had not been compassionate. That was true; it had not been. Many of us believed we could steer the party to that “kinder, gentler” place his father described. We were wrong.

Reading Mr. Bush’s 2000 acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention now is like stumbling across a document from a lost civilization, with its calls for humility, service and compassion. That message couldn’t attract 20 percent in a Republican presidential primary today. If there really was a battle for the soul of the Republican Party, we lost.

There is a collective blame to be shared by those of us who have created the modern Republican Party that has so egregiously betrayed the principles it claimed to represent. My j’accuse is against us all, not a few individuals who were the most egregious."

Any Republicans here think this prominent Republican strategist is full of it?  Is he right?

Re: Republicans
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:20:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 2683
Lincoln Project - You have your WORK cut out for you.

If "ANY" rebuilding or reconciliation is coming for Republicans I think this collection of minds will be at the forefront.

Count me as a Mod (mostly) Dem that will be listening to whatever they say.

Republicans had a SHOT (recently) at closing the deal on Police Reform. They put forth their own package, refused to budge on the Dem's package, NOTHING got passed and thus here we are.

They dusted off Tim Scott and Dr. Ben Carson back in June - during the height of the protests and right after the George Floyd tragedy. Had NEVER seen these two featured as much until then.

Tim Scott seemingly was the ONLY Republican at the forefront pushing Police Reform. It lacked conviction because it would have been MORE meaningful if he had more on board with him.

IMO the Republican Party (not ALL of them, though) are a bit out of touch with things on the ground in this country. They've had some opportunities but seemingly lacked the fortitude to act on them.

This country RIGHT NOW is in the middle of a rebirth. She will be a new baby once this pregnancy is over. Republicans COULD have had a shot at raising this new baby but they've been a bit absent....missed CRITICAL opportunities to pick up votes...

My guess is THIS - The average young Black Lives Matter protester wants SOMETHING done.....don't necessarily care WHO (or which party) does it. This is where (IMO) The Republican Party fumbled BADLY - had a shot to punch SOME reconciliation (in the form of Police Reform) into the end zone but fumbled at the 3 yard line.

Sorry Pats fans I couldn't resist.
Augustus Freeman IV - the Superman of the South. Read Milestone Comics.

Good Trouble.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 224
The Lincoln Project is full of ex Bush employees, racists, sexist, warmongering neocons who were rejected by the republican voters and are jumping ship to the Democrats who are all too happy to embrace them. I really we should keep an eye on them because I don’t like this allying of neocons and neoliberals at all.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27133
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
The Lincoln Project is full of ex Bush employees, racists, sexist, warmongering neocons who were rejected by the republican voters and are jumping ship to the Democrats who are all too happy to embrace them. I really we should keep an eye on them because I don’t like this allying of neocons and neoliberals at all.

Yeah, their narrative is clever, but they’re just pulling the wool over the eyes of people who hate Trump and therefore don’t scrutinize them.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338

Yeah, their narrative is clever, but they’re just pulling the wool over the eyes of people who hate Trump and therefore don’t scrutinize them.

Oh I dont know about that, its more likely Liberals know exactly how terrible they are and are happy to go back to fighting with them just as soon as the bigger issue at hand, Trump, is taken care of.

Enemy of your enemy is your friend, and all that.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 224

Oh I dont know about that, its more likely Liberals know exactly how terrible they are and are happy to go back to fighting with them just as soon as the bigger issue at hand, Trump, is taken care of.

I would agree except the fact that the likes of Nancy Pelosi is waxing nostalgic of the Republicans of Ronald Regan of all people and the rehabilitation of George W Bush.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 829

Yeah. I'm doubtful any liberal views anyone in the Lincoln Project as someone representing liberal thoughts & policies.   But both sides can recognize a common disaster to fight in the form of Trump.   Disasters bring disparate members of the community together.   That doesn't make their differences vanish once the disaster is over.

As for "pulling the wool over the eyes of people who hate Trump" - it doesn't look to me as if the Lincoln Project's messaging is at all targeted at people who already hate Trump.  It looks to be targeted at indecisive & moderate Republicans, explaining why they _should_ hate Trump.

There is nothing in LP messaging that really has anything to do with liberal policy.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Yeah, the two biggest issues facing this nation are bigotry and marxism.  I'll befriend the rotten collectivists for now, because bigotry is currently a more pressing matter, but make no mistake, the collectivists are still my enemy.

Now get off my lawn and get your hands out of my pockets!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, the two biggest issues facing this nation are bigotry and marxism.  I'll befriend the rotten collectivists for now, because bigotry is currently a more pressing matter, but make no mistake, the collectivists are still my enemy.

I think you may be overlooking that the collectivists are equally intolerant and bigoted, and aren’t opposed to using violence and lawlessness to advance their goals.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »

Offline celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21
As for "pulling the wool over the eyes of people who hate Trump" - it doesn't look to me as if the Lincoln Project's messaging is at all targeted at people who already hate Trump.  It looks to be targeted at indecisive & moderate Republicans, explaining why they _should_ hate Trump.

I don't think their strategy will work, though. Moderate Republicans can hate Trump all they want yet still vote for him to get judicial nominees that are far more likely to rule on the Constitution, as well as tax and regulation cuts. With Biden they'll get higher taxes, more regulations, free healthcare for illegals, sell out to big business, and likely more foreign intervention.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 796
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think you may be overlooking that the collectivists are equally intolerant and bigoted, and aren’t opposed to using violence and lawlessness to advance their goals.
As opposed to?

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

As opposed to?

There’s been a whole lot more violence from the left than the right in America lately. 

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 796
  • 2019 CS Historical Draft Champion

As opposed to?

There’s been a whole lot more violence from the left than the right in America lately.
Not sure I agree with that

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1769

I'm not sure about all of them, but pretty sure you are wrong on most counts.  Not sure where you get that Steve Schmidt, for example, is a warmongering, sexist, racist.

The group has been about as transparent as a group can be -- hard to view their web-site and think that they are trying to fool anyone... Pretty straight forward messaging, IMO.  Really clear that they maintain conservative economic values and really clear that what they hate is Trump and the loss of their party to Trumpism. I think the happy alliance you see with libs and this group will be short-lived.  But I see it as a really good thing as conservatives, instead of fighting democrats, are uniting in pursuit of a common goal.  I happen to be in favor of their goal, so I like it.  I much prefer the notion of finding common ground than constantly fighting. 

Really not sure why this would be something to worry about unless you want a 2nd term for Trump. 

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »

Offline celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21

As opposed to?

Not sure I agree with that

Look at where the looting, burning, and occupying of police precincts and city halls are taking place: Blue cities. We all know Seattle, Portland, NYC, etc. is blue. Their elected officials are Democrats, and their constituents are clearly struggling under Dem leadership.