Author Topic: Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence  (Read 1825 times)

Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:23:27 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 158
Not at all surprising. The lesson is be loyal, shut your mouth, be found guilty and Trump will take care of it. Drain the swamp indeed...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-commutes-roger-stone-s-prison-sentence-after-he-was-n1138981
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

Re: Trump Commutes Roger Stone's Sentence
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27133
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Better than Mark Rich, Chelsea Manning or Oscar Rivera, I guess. 

I just canít get worked up about this.  I donít love it, but three years in prison for lying to Congress?  Sadly, people lie to Congress every day.  Congressmen lie to Congress every single day.  Itís a swamp, and singling out one member of that swamp for selective prosecution doesnít make me feel like justice was done any more than this commutation does.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:03:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 828
This is an act of wanton,  flagrant corruption.  Any other President would be facing impeachment for it.

Trump has sent the message loud and clear that he will reward those who lie and cover for his crimes.

The Constitution is a flaming, mangled mess. The next administration needs to come down hard on this entire gang so that this never happens  again.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 338
Better than Mark Rich, Chelsea Manning or Oscar Rivera, I guess. 

I just canít get worked up about this.  I donít love it, but three years in prison for lying to Congress?  Sadly, people lie to Congress every day.  Congressmen lie to Congress every single day.  Itís a swamp, and singling out one member of that swamp for selective prosecution doesnít make me feel like justice was done any more than this commutation does.

I'd probably feel much the same way if not for the fact that the guy whose sentence is being commuted earned that sentence by lying in an investigation of the guy doing the commuting.

I dont think the central issue here is "man's sentence commuted after lying to congress."

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1285
This is an act of wanton,  flagrant corruption.  Any other President would be facing impeachment for it.

Trump has sent the message loud and clear that he will reward those who lie and cover for his crimes.

The Constitution is a flaming, mangled mess. The next administration needs to come down hard on this entire gang so that this never happens  again.

I never understand why we think a Constitution that was written over 200 years ago does not need any tweaking to deal with modern realities. Shrug.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 11:39:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1379
Just another day....

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 542
What must this guy know...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 12:28:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
What must this guy know...

He probably knows everything, that's why rump praised his loyalty before the trial, to signal that Stone would not be going to jail.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 01:01:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
The senate just gave Trump a blank check and he's cashing it. I expect much more blatant criminal behavior before 2021.

"By commuting the prison sentence of Roger Stone, President Donald Trump has made his contempt for the rule of law plain for all to see. Clemency for a crony convicted of interfering with an investigation of presidential malfeasance is a flagrant abuse of power. President Richard Nixon wasnít willing to pardon the Watergate criminals who broke into Democratic Party offices in the run-up to the 1972 presidential campaign because he knew how bad it would look; the evidence that Nixon hinted at clemency for his convicted associates was part of the reason he was eventually forced to resign or face certain impeachment by the House of Representatives and conviction and removal by the Senate."

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 67
Whatever happened to the checks and balances of our great nation's government?

Any other president that would have one half the things this administration has done would have been IMPRISONED by now.

I mean to constantly blame things as a "hoax" or flat out lie about very important health related things is just harming not just our country, not just families, not just individual people, but the spirit and gift of humanity.

What else will it take for his supporters to wake up?

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1769

Any other president that would have one half the things this administration has done would have been IMPRISONED by now.

I mean to constantly blame things as a "hoax" or flat out lie about very important health related things is just harming not just our country, not just families, not just individual people, but the spirit and gift of humanity.

I hate to say this, but Donald Trump was a known entity when he ran for president. He won despite running a  campaign laced with all the tidbits of what we'd be seeing from him in office. And it's not as if he wasn't sharing all of that with us for the previous 40 years.  He's delivered 3.5 years of nasty, divisive, lying, egocentric, corrupt "leadership".   We got what we paid for  -- including those things that his supporter wanted -- they got their SCOTUS nominees, they got their conservative judges, they got their tax breaks and their de-regulation.  And we all got Trump.  And we are now suffering from that decision daily as he ignores the pandemic, promotes unsafe rallies, blatantly lies, disparages and scorns those who don't stand by him politically, frees his cronies, kowtows to Putin, dismisses or insults our allies, or provides a model for our youth that we wouldn't stand for in our own homes, schools or communities. 

Donald Trump is Morton Downey Jr., Wally George, Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh -- all wrapped up and handed the most powerful position on Earth.  How the heck did we do this?

Will we do it again?

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 828

I hate to say this, but Donald Trump was a known entity when he ran for president. He won despite running a  campaign laced with all the tidbits of what we'd be seeing from him in office. And it's not as if he wasn't sharing all of that with us for the previous 40 years.  He's delivered 3.5 years of nasty, divisive, lying, egocentric, corrupt "leadership".   We got what we paid for  -- including those things that his supporter wanted -- they got their SCOTUS nominees, they got their conservative judges, they got their tax breaks and their de-regulation.  And we all got Trump.  And we are now suffering from that decision daily as he ignores the pandemic, promotes unsafe rallies, blatantly lies, disparages and scorns those who don't stand by him politically, frees his cronies, kowtows to Putin, dismisses or insults our allies, or provides a model for our youth that we wouldn't stand for in our own homes, schools or communities. 

Donald Trump is Morton Downey Jr., Wally George, Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh -- all wrapped up and handed the most powerful position on Earth.  How the heck did we do this?

Will we do it again?

Everyone who voted for Trump is culpable. Also the GOP and Fox News, who have allowed this to continue.

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1285

Will we do it again?

Can I play?

There are no checks and balances inherent in the consitution the constitution has to be given life by men. The constitution did not even deal with political parties and that is the beginning of the problem. We need to either get rid of political parties or change the constitution to deal with this ugly phenomenon. People put party over country therefore there is no check when the President belongs to your party. Our politicians are a DISGRACE. Our politics are a DISGRACE.

There should be term limits there really shouldnt be career politicians there is NOTHING democratic about career politicians.

It is a sad account of our politics the kind of candidates that we have to choose for president and the names being bandied around for the probable next VP of the USA

Hillary almost gaveus Tim Kane as VEEP. Think about that for a minute. Have you heard from Tim Kane since Hillary lost? Well that empty vessel would have been our VEEP.

America is spiraling down because we have become complacent which is one of the steps to the fall of a great empire.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
This would be a new low for any other POTUS but not Trump!

"Stone Walks Free in One of the Greatest Scandals in American History
The amazing thing about the saga is how much of it happened in the full light of day."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/roger-stone/614068/

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • Dennis Johnson
At least one republican still knows right from wrong:

"WASHINGTON ó Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, on Saturday criticized President Donald Trumpís decision to commute the prison sentence of Roger Stone, calling it ďunprecedented, historic corruption.Ē

ďAn American president commutes the sentence of a person convicted by a jury of lying to shield that very president,Ē Romney wrote on Twitter."