Author Topic: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?  (Read 19905 times)

Re: (Sim and Mock) who would you want the Cs to take?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I read, what appears to have been a fan posted mock draft on Twitter.  It had the C's trading Marcus and the 17 to GSW for the #2 and selecting Killian Hayes.  I don't know if Marcus and the 17 is enough to get up that high, but it's interesting!

highly unlikely this happens

GSW need a 3 or bigger

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think there is too much focus on bigs in this draft.  While it would be nice to find the next Siakam, I'd rather focus on BPA.  This draft is considered very deep in point / swing guards.  I would not be surprised if at least one or two of our first round picks were guards.  Our lack of decent bigs is exagerated.  Theis is one of the better 5's in the league, and just a matter of time for Rob Williams to be in that category.  I would love to get a point or swing guard who we could groom to eventually take over for Kemba in 2 to 3 years, as he slows down. 

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I read, what appears to have been a fan posted mock draft on Twitter.  It had the C's trading Marcus and the 17 to GSW for the #2 and selecting Killian Hayes.  I don't know if Marcus and the 17 is enough to get up that high, but it's interesting!

That is interesting, depending on how you view the top of this draft.

If you assume the Warriors blueprint is to build a team like their early championship run, then they need someone in the Iggy role, someone in the Bogut role, someone in the Livingston role, and someone in the Barnes role.

Maybe they think Wiggins can be Harrison Barnes. I think Smart could definitely fill the Iggy role, even if they would still need that 6'9'' 230 pound cheap 3-D player to help with some of the big wings.

I'm not very high on anyone in this draft. I could talk myself into a bunch of players, especially if the Cs got them. Hayes is one of them.

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »

• Paul Silas
I wonder rather about flipping that 2nd pick from GSW to a team like Orlando for Aaron Gordon and their pick, or the Pacers for Turner and their pick, or Detroit for Christian Wood and their pick.

I'm not suggesting any of those trades are the right value. I'm just suggesting the framework. If GSW wants win-now players (likely) and if you could find a team that thought highly of a player in this draft and had a rotation guy that would fit with the Cs core, it might make sense.

I find it much more likely that the Warriors trade Wiggins, Paschall, and the 2nd to the Pacers for Turner and Warren. The Pacers could then get Hayes or Edwards to pair in the backcourt with Oladipo and see if they can do to Wiggins what they did to Warren last year. 

Meanwhile, the Warriors would still need another rotation piece or two, but Warren can slide to power forward effectively and Turner would fit in well defensively and offensively.

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2020, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I almost started a thread on this but thought the trade was so bad it wasn't worth the post. The mock was done performed by was I would describe as " Draft Twitter" guys who are really focused on the nba draft and write for smaller media outlets ( might be guys from the stepien on there). Max the guy who drafted for the celtics has a good draft podcast "the prep2pros podcast". They go super in depth on prospects. Its interesting because their have been guys hired in the past by NBA teams our of these twitter demographic.

The trade I really didn't like. Hayes is a good prospect but I don't see his ceiling as being any hire then Smarts and the loss of Smart would really negatively effect this team.

The mock in general was pretty good but as expected on a "draft twitter" mock Wiseman fell into the 20s and Precious is out of the 1st round.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2020, 09:54:58 AM »

• Paul Silas
The ideal outcome of Hayes would fit really nicely next to Brown and Tatum. He has high level court vision that would stir the offense and create a lot of open looks. He's big and strong, which fits well in CBS switchy defensive system. He can create his own shot one-on-one either with step-back threes or getting into the mid-range which gives another option at the end of the shot clock. Tatum would be the first option still, but you need a couple guys who can get their own shot.

He fits the timeline well and could be an alternative route financially, as his contract would be better than Hayward's or Walker's for the next four years at least (I'm not eager to get rid of either. I like them both and want them to retire as Celtics, but I'm just pointing out the alternative route).

It all depends on how you perceive his ideal outcome. If you think it's something like Luke Kennard, it's a bad trade. If you think it's something like D'Angelo Russell, it's still a bad trade (although some might disagree with me). If you think it's something more like Luka/Harden-lite, then it gets more interesting.

On pure value, a first team all-defensive player is probably worth about that value to a contender, but few contenders ever have that high of a pick. On subjective value, I really think Smart's role on defense could be mostly covered by CBS' scheme, Brown, and Langford. I know he's dynamic defensively, but I really think the team defense would not see that much of a drop-off over a full season. Although the stats sometimes disagree with me, I think his role on offense could pretty easily be replaced by a rookie like Killian Hayes, or simply by giving more touches to Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Walker.

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
The ideal outcome of Hayes would fit really nicely next to Brown and Tatum. He has high level court vision that would stir the offense and create a lot of open looks. He's big and strong, which fits well in CBS switchy defensive system. He can create his own shot one-on-one either with step-back threes or getting into the mid-range which gives another option at the end of the shot clock. Tatum would be the first option still, but you need a couple guys who can get their own shot.

He fits the timeline well and could be an alternative route financially, as his contract would be better than Hayward's or Walker's for the next four years at least (I'm not eager to get rid of either. I like them both and want them to retire as Celtics, but I'm just pointing out the alternative route).

It all depends on how you perceive his ideal outcome. If you think it's something like Luke Kennard, it's a bad trade. If you think it's something like D'Angelo Russell, it's still a bad trade (although some might disagree with me). If you think it's something more like Luka/Harden-lite, then it gets more interesting.

On pure value, a first team all-defensive player is probably worth about that value to a contender, but few contenders ever have that high of a pick. On subjective value, I really think Smart's role on defense could be mostly covered by CBS' scheme, Brown, and Langford. I know he's dynamic defensively, but I really think the team defense would not see that much of a drop-off over a full season. Although the stats sometimes disagree with me, I think his role on offense could pretty easily be replaced by a rookie like Killian Hayes, or simply by giving more touches to Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Walker.

Hayes is no slam dunk to be great. He just happens to be the flavor of the month among draft bloggers.  I like him, but not where it would require giving up value like Smart to get him.  There are other PGs who are in the same universe of Hayes potential-wise (Maledon, Kira Lewis) who should be available without trading up. They could turn out to have as good a career as Hayes.   This is not a draft to trade up IMO.

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »

• Paul Silas

Hayes is no slam dunk to be great. He just happens to be the flavor of the month among draft bloggers.  I like him, but not where it would require giving up value like Smart to get him.  There are other PGs who are in the same universe of Hayes potential-wise (Maledon, Kira Lewis) who should be available without trading up. They could turn out to have as good a career as Hayes.   This is not a draft to trade up IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree. I prefaced the post with "the ideal outcome" for Hayes.

I'm not a Maledon guy. I've seen enough to think he will struggle getting separation ala Frankie from the Knicks. He's probably an NBA player, but I don't think he has good starter upside.

I've also been paying attention to Lewis. He's more the flavor of the month right now. Hayes was last month. There's a bit of Collin Sexton and D'Aaron Fox to his game. I really like the way he jumps off the wrong foot a step too early on a lot of his finishes. I think little things like that will make him a hard player to guard because it is so unusual. I just haven't seen enough of him and it would have been good to see him dominate a little more at the college level. Problem is that he really does not have great court vision like Fox. Almost all his assists come from having the ball in his hands a lot and doing simple dump off passes. Those are basic-level reads, the kind that Jaylen Brown did in college. NBA shot creators need to be able to see the more complex movements of the defensive rotations and read the whole court, not just what's in front of him. He's more like Sexton than Fox in that way.

Without having knowledge of their character, I like Hayes' feel, court vision, size, strength, and shooting form the best. His court vision is pretty close to Ball or Haliburton in this draft. It's pretty special. That step back three or mid-range shot could be good in the NBA, but until we see him trying to get separation on NBA defenders, it's hard to know if that can be a useful tool. He's also got to be able to finish and draw fouls -- something he's not good at yet -- to be better than a player like Russell.

Still, I wouldn't say he's in his own category in this draft. I have him ranked higher, but there isn't a great gap between him and the other guards.

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2020, 01:21:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I don't necessarily disagree. I prefaced the post with "the ideal outcome" for Hayes.

I'm not a Maledon guy. I've seen enough to think he will struggle getting separation ala Frankie from the Knicks. He's probably an NBA player, but I don't think he has good starter upside.

I've also been paying attention to Lewis. He's more the flavor of the month right now. Hayes was last month. There's a bit of Collin Sexton and D'Aaron Fox to his game. I really like the way he jumps off the wrong foot a step too early on a lot of his finishes. I think little things like that will make him a hard player to guard because it is so unusual. I just haven't seen enough of him and it would have been good to see him dominate a little more at the college level. Problem is that he really does not have great court vision like Fox. Almost all his assists come from having the ball in his hands a lot and doing simple dump off passes. Those are basic-level reads, the kind that Jaylen Brown did in college. NBA shot creators need to be able to see the more complex movements of the defensive rotations and read the whole court, not just what's in front of him. He's more like Sexton than Fox in that way.

Without having knowledge of their character, I like Hayes' feel, court vision, size, strength, and shooting form the best. His court vision is pretty close to Ball or Haliburton in this draft. It's pretty special. That step back three or mid-range shot could be good in the NBA, but until we see him trying to get separation on NBA defenders, it's hard to know if that can be a useful tool. He's also got to be able to finish and draw fouls -- something he's not good at yet -- to be better than a player like Russell.

Still, I wouldn't say he's in his own category in this draft. I have him ranked higher, but there isn't a great gap between him and the other guards.

Hey, you buried the lead with the last sentence. And that is pretty much my point: He has not really proven that much better than the others to make it worth what one would likely have to give up to draft him. Let's agree that his current value in this draft is top 5.  What talent package would we have to put together to get the 5th pick in the draft?  We both know that all 3 of our picks won't accomplish that. What player of value would you be willing to add to that mix (it's a given we would have to give up 2-3 1st round picks to start discussion) to trade up?   It would take at least Smart to get there. G Williams, Semi, R Williams, Langford don't have sufficient trade value.  I would NEVER give up Smart for a PG that may take a couple of years just to become a starter.  We are on the cusp of competing for a championship. Giving up someone like Smart would set us back 2-3 years on our trajectory.  I just don't think this is a viable option.

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »

• Paul Silas

Hey, you buried the lead with the last sentence. And that is pretty much my point: He has not really proven that much better than the others to make it worth what one would likely have to give up to draft him. Let's agree that his current value in this draft is top 5.  What talent package would we have to put together to get the 5th pick in the draft?  We both know that all 3 of our picks won't accomplish that. What player of value would you be willing to add to that mix (it's a given we would have to give up 2-3 1st round picks to start discussion) to trade up?   It would take at least Smart to get there. G Williams, Semi, R Williams, Langford don't have sufficient trade value.  I would NEVER give up Smart for a PG that may take a couple of years just to become a starter.  We are on the cusp of competing for a championship. Giving up someone like Smart would set us back 2-3 years on our trajectory.  I just don't think this is a viable option.

Yep. We agree more than it may seem. Sorry for the miscommunication. I enjoy exercising the options out, even if I would disagree with the conclusion. For example, this thought experiment was under the assumption that Ainge thought Hayes could reach his ideal outcome. If, for some reason, Ainge really liked him and disagreed with us, my point was that Smart is probably more expendable to our team and more necessary to a team like the Warriors. But it only makes sense if Ainge has a sure-fire guy he likes. Otherwise its just a move that makes noise, but doesn't improve the team.

I prefer continuity. I fall in love with every Celtic, even the annoying ones. I'd rather not trade anyone and I rarely feel like a trade possibility would benefit the Cs much.

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Totally agree. We may very well contend next year with just small smart adjusments. Loosing Smart would put us out of this category next year as rookie Hayes, can just provide a little energy from the bench; and Smart defense is a game changer especially on playoff money time.

I really think Maledon without injury problems is a future NBA player for sure. Hard worker, smart guy who has the grit to progress (even if he isn't a very timid guy). He isn't a Ntilikina guy, much more talented, high IQ, correct shooter with upside, good intangibles for a young guys. Parker said he is sure he will be a good NBA player. Me too, even with his lack of exlosivity that will limit him, I see him as a good bet for the future (correct starter or good sub) . At 17 in this weak draft it's a very correct perspective. Mannion look also as a future correct sub, good strateg, if he can reinforce a little his body.

Hayes has a biggest upgrade than Maledon or Mannion but the gap is not that big to loose Smart. Hayes and Maledon were at the same range. Maledon dropped because of injury and Hayes stepped up lately.
Hayes played as an undiscutable starter on a weaker team as ASVEL, Maledon had to fight for his place against an old internatioal player in Antoine Diot, showed nice things on euroleague and had to fight for his position. Maledon maturity and IQ is higer than Hayes to me. It's just that Hayes shows more explosivity and more ability to score (with 22% 3points this year with Ulm)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 04:34:44 PM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This trade makes no sense. I wouldn't trade Marcus straight up for Hayes. Never mind giving up the picks. If Marcus has to go to shed salary then next year's draft is the way to go. High ceiling players and several of them.

As for this draft we could use a big, a wing, and a combo guard, in the bpa order as possible. Someone to make an open shot on demand.

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
OK, I'm getting back onto another guy I am very intrigued with: RJ Hampton.  Maybe the best athlete in the draft.  His handle is loose, but think he has great potential to be a decent two way guard.  Reminds me a lot of Jaylen Brown in terms of his composure and maturity. Check out the interview below with Mike Schmidt of ESPN breaking down his video. 

Don't know where his draft stock is today, but think he would be a great system player for Brad Stevens, with time.  Seems like the type of player that Ainge would be very interested in. Some draft boards (NBAdraft.net) have us picking him at 17.

Would consider trading up a spot or two to nab him (throw in our 30 pick). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmuRF--jQI

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
OK, I'm getting back onto another guy I am very intrigued with: RJ Hampton.  Maybe the best athlete in the draft.  His handle is loose, but think he has great potential to be a decent two way guard.  Reminds me a lot of Jaylen Brown in terms of his composure and maturity. Check out the interview below with Mike Schmidt of ESPN breaking down his video. 

Don't know where his draft stock is today, but think he would be a great system player for Brad Stevens, with time.  Seems like the type of player that Ainge would be very interested in. Some draft boards (NBAdraft.net) have us picking him at 17.

Isn't he closer to Dante Exum?  (has been compared to)

Only like 6'3. His handles are definitely a bit loose. Jump shot needs refinement. 

I don't think he is really like Jaylen Brown, Okoro is more like Jaylen in this draft

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Isn't he closer to Dante Exum?  (has been compared to)

Only like 6'3. His handles are definitely a bit loose. Jump shot needs refinement. 

I don't think he is really like Jaylen Brown, Okoro is more like Jaylen in this draft

I think he's more like Exum and we see how well that worked out.  I had actually wanted Exum, then Gorden, then Smart.  I knew we'd get one of them.  I'm so glad we got Smart and not Exum. 

RJ Hampton is the American kid who went to New Zealand, right?  I watched a thing on him a while back.  He couldn't use his off hand.  It limited him in New Zealand a bit, but not so much.  But in the NBA people will be able to scheme against him as he really only operates well from one side of the court.  We'd be drafting a guy to replace Wanamaker as the 3rd PG/SG and I'd rather have Payton Pritchard who we could maybe get with 46 but for sure with 30.   If we are going to pass on a big at 17, then I'd want Saddiq Bey or Patrick Williams.  Makes for a lock down second unit: Smart, Langford, Bey/P. Williams, G. Williams, R. Williams. 

Check this out on Bey:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/04/17/why-the-celtics-need-to-target-saddiq-bey-in-2020-nba-draft/#3071c1e63d81