Author Topic: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden  (Read 15141 times)

Neurotic Guy, jambr380, Ogaju, blink and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Time to handicap potential VEEP candidates for Biden
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1283
Biden increasingly boxed in to pick a black woman.

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »

Online celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21
Things seem to be tipping in Trumpís favor. Democrats are have been doubling down on the issues that cost them í16. Biden is a terrible candidate who wonít inspire anyone to come out to the polls or even mail in a ballot.

If Biden's handlers corner him into picking a black woman, I think he has to go with Val Demings.

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2020, 02:09:59 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I don't know if she wants the job, but I hope it's Michelle Obama.  Second choice Elizabeth Warren, though that will hurt the black vote for sure, so I don't know if it's doable.  In general I doubt Michelle wants to be VP.  But, in this case, very likely she could be president in 4 years.  Maybe that would make the situation appeal to her.  Definitely not Klobuchar.  That won't get it done at all.

Whatís wrong with Klobuchar?  Ideology aside, sheís one of the few names bandied about who might make a good president in my opinion.  I like her demeanor. 

Michelle Obama has no qualifications other than being married to Barack.

But she has a living ex president to guide her...and is popular, and highly educated.  I see her as more qualified than Trump was when he entered office.  She would most likely be vice president for 4 years, at least,  to gain the experience she needs to take over, but even 2 years would be enough.

My only problem with Klobuchar is that I don't think she'll bring in many voters, especially against a guy like Donald.  Nothing personal against her other than the Dems are going to need either some star power or a powerhouse debater like Warren (who will also get a bunch of Bernie voters).  Or an inspiring African American (Abrams would be perfect if she had more experience) who can excite people (need more black votes than Hillary got).  Klobuchar is very solid, but imo she'll add about as many votes as Tim Kaine.

After what happened in Minnesota, I think she's even less likely now

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2020, 05:36:24 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
  • Free Stella Nyanzi!
Might that not just be playing dynasty politics?
We have the Timelord and Spacelord. Now we need the Soul Lord, Power Lord, Reality Lord, and Mind Lord

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2020, 12:23:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1768
Lincoln Project means business.  Another video produced by this republican group that has acknowledged the danger of re-electing Trump:

https://youtu.be/5w7kwtLJtVc

I think the recent events have made it far less likely that Biden will select a white woman as his VP candidate. 

My latest bet would be on either Val Demings and Keisha Lance-Bottoms.   I've been a fan on KLB for a couple of months.  Eloquent and charismatic.   Not as much political experience - 8 years on city council and 2+ years as Atlanta mayor.  She's 50 and a lawyer.

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey
Lincoln Project means business.  Another video produced by this republican group that has acknowledged the danger of re-electing Trump:

I think the recent events have made it far less likely that Biden will select a white woman as his VP candidate. 

My latest bet would be on either Val Demings and Keisha Lance-Bottoms.   I've been a fan on KLB for a couple of months.  Eloquent and charismatic.   Not as much political experience - 8 years on city council and 2+ years as Atlanta mayor.  She's 50 and a lawyer.

Its Susan Rice... none of those two you mention is ready to be president. When Biden picks a running mate, he is not picking a VEEP he is picking a PRESIDENT. He really messed himself up by committing to a woman running mate without knowing his choice. First evidence of poor decision making.

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Its Susan Rice... none of those two you mention is ready to be president. When Biden picks a running mate, he is not picking a VEEP he is picking a PRESIDENT. He really messed himself up by committing to a woman running mate without knowing his choice. First evidence of poor decision making.

Republicans are probably rooting for this, since she lied about Benghazi, destabilized our relationship with Israel, provided arms to terrorists, sold out to Iran and help give rise to ISIS.  Oh, and Russia interferes in our elections on her watch.
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey

Republicans are probably rooting for this, since she lied about Benghazi, destabilized our relationship with Israel, provided arms to terrorists, sold out to Iran and help give rise to ISIS.  Oh, and Russia interferes in our elections on her watch.

WOW she did all that? Looks like she has a lot of experience and she is ready to be president on day one. Some of the other names on the list could not even spell Benghazi mush more pick it out on a map. Lance Bottoms? From Mayor of Atlanta to POTUS? Really? By the way, the Republicans should not be picking candidates for Democrats. Biden is in a pickle. If only he had not boxed himself in.

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2020, 03:39:15 PM »

Online jambr380

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1261
  • Sometimes there's no sane reason for optimism

Val Demings is my district's representative and she is extremely popular. She is finishing only her 2nd term in congress, but she is the former OPD Police Chief and she, as well as her husband (Jerry Demings), have been staples of the Central FL community for many years.

I also have questions about her readiness for the job, but we also have to remember this is for the VP position, not President. If after 4 years, Biden is done, she will at least be considered moderately qualified for the job - more qualified than somebody like Trump ever was.

In addition, she should help with the woman vote, the black vote, and - most importantly - the FL vote. Again, I am not saying she is ready to be President tomorrow, but she is thoughtful, professional, and I think she would do a good job if given the chance.

Off-topic, but I have finally reached 10,000 posts. It's taken me long enough - I have been a member of this community for many years (going back several iterations of the site) - Glad we are still going strong here at CS  :D

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2020, 03:43:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 9356

I don't think it'll be Susan Rice but not for the reasons you mentioned.  I think Biden goes with someone who's got more national recognition leading up to the convention.   

2 Things on Susan Rice though:
1. Reps are going to smear whoever Biden chooses.  doesn't matter who it is, they're going to get hammered by attack ads from the get go and it won't matter if any of the attacks are factual.
2. Considering this adminstration's track record on foreign relations, Rice has got less baggage than what Trump's minions have done.  I don't think the Dems have the brains/guts to run the kind of attack ads needed to nail Trump to the wall for his record (foreign and national policies) but if they grow a pair, Rice's track record won't be a detriment to Biden. 

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2020, 03:53:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27134
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I don't think it'll be Susan Rice but not for the reasons you mentioned.  I think Biden goes with someone who's got more national recognition leading up to the convention.   

1. Reps are going to smear whoever Biden chooses.  doesn't matter who it is, they're going to get hammered by attack ads from the get go and it won't matter if any of the attacks are factual.
2. Considering this adminstration's track record on foreign relations, Rice has got less baggage than what Trump's minions have done.  I don't think the Dems have the brains/guts to run the kind of attack ads needed to nail Trump to the wall for his record (foreign and national policies) but if they grow a pair, Rice's track record won't be a detriment to Biden.

I agree that anybody will be attacked, but Susan Riceís record makes it so dang easy.  Itís obviously a matter of opinion, but I think that Trumpís foreign policy has been better than ObamaĎs. Less appealing to the world, particularly our enemies, but overall fine.  He has defeated ISIS, has killed several of the worlds worst terrorists, has negotiated better trade deals than existed previously, he has helped repair our relationship with Israel, has gotten other countries to pay more to NATO and has largely gotten us out of a no-win situation in Syria.  He has gotten Mexico to assist in our fight against illegal immigration, has made significant progress in terms of getting a wall built, and has appropriately responded to military attacks against our troops by Iran, causing them to stand down.

Thatís a fairly impressive list of accomplishments, particularly considering who we are talking about. I would put that list of accomplishments up against HillaryĎs and Riceís record any day if I were running Trumpís campaign.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:49:30 PM by Roy H. »
Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat. CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012.

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »

Online Ogaju

• Frank Ramsey

Val Demings is my district's representative and she is extremely popular. She is finishing only her 2nd term in congress, but she is the former OPD Police Chief and she, as well as her husband (Jerry Demings), have been staples of the Central FL community for many years.

I also have questions about her readiness for the job, but we also have to remember this is for the VP position, not President. If after 4 years, Biden is done, she will at least be considered moderately qualified for the job - more qualified than somebody like Trump ever was.

In addition, she should help with the woman vote, the black vote, and - most importantly - the FL vote. Again, I am not saying she is ready to be President tomorrow, but she is thoughtful, professional, and I think she would do a good job if given the chance.

Off-topic, but I have finally reached 10,000 posts. It's taken me long enough - I have been a member of this community for many years (going back several iterations of the site) - Glad we are still going strong here at CS  :D

TP for your 10,000th post!!

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2020, 04:25:59 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 64

I've been saying Val Demings for a few months now and it does make sense. Amy won't do much for Biden and as popular as Kamala is she'd be a much better AG. I don't agree think Stacey Abrams is a good fit with Biden. She might be better suited in a cabinet position.

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1768

I've been saying Val Demings for a few months now and it does make sense. Amy won't do much for Biden and as popular as Kamala is she'd be a much better AG. I don't agree think Stacey Abrams is a good fit with Biden. She might be better suited in a cabinet position.

I'm good with Demings.  I think KLB has a more inspirational quality to her -- but I like Demings.  And if there is any chance that she can inspire People of Color to vote AND bring enough Florida votes to help Joe take Fla -- I'm all for it.

I am a "no' on Susan Rice for reasons stated above.  I am a 'yes' on Condoleezza Rice (yeah, I know), and a 'no' on Stacey A (though I like her). 

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »

Online celts10

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 21

I agree that anybody will be attacked, but Susan Riceís record makes it so dang easy.  Itís obviously a matter of opinion, but I think that Trumpís foreign policy has been better than ObamaĎs. Less appealing to the world, particularly our enemies, but overall fine.  He has defeated ISIS, has killed several of the worlds worst terrorists, has negotiated better trade deals than existed previously, he has helped repair our relationship with Israel, has gotten other countries to pay more to NATO and has largely gotten us out of a no-win situation in Syria.  He has gotten Mexico to assist in our fight against illegal immigration, has made significant progress in terms of getting a wall built, and has appropriately responded to military attacks against our troops by Iran, causing them to stand down.

Thatís a fairly impressive list of accomplishments, particularly considering who we are talking about. I would put that list of accomplishments up against HillaryĎs and racist record any day if I were running Trumpís campaign.

Well said, Roy. I think Trump deserves criticism on a few issues, but one area where I have to give him major props has been foreign policy. He's been better than I ever thought and a million times better than Bush and Obama combined. I really wanted Obama to bring change from George W. Bush on foreign issues, but he turned out to be a lot worse. How many more countries did we invade and destroy under the Obama/Biden administration? Who knows what Biden and the military industrial complex will be planning should he get elected.

Also, Susan Rice recently came out and assured us that the George Floyd rioters were actually organized by...you guessed it...the Russians! These people are not even pretending to be rational anymore.